The Random Adventures of SuperShawn

Photo TR Scandi Part 2: Star Flyer Climb!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

The Random Adventures of SuperShawn

Postby SuperShawn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

As part of my 2013 goals and investment in a new computer and camera I am finally going to do some trip reports of all my adventures for the year. All my trips I will try to take slightly different pictures than what you would normally see or at least that is part of my goal. It'll be a learning curve for me so any constructive feed back will be welcomed. I'm also on a learning curve with the Mac and new camera so I apologize the photos are so small. Any who lets get started shall we?

Adventure 1: The Hunt for Dolly

Not everyone knows this, but what started out as a joke is now actually turned into me being a fan of Dolly Parton. Not that OMG obsessive fan but a moderate one. Dollywood is also one of my top parks to visit due to the attractions, shows, setting, food and friendliest staff you'll ever encounter. Not to mention the park goers are in a league of their own. Now each year on opening weekend Dolly is at the park and does a little parade and hops into shows here and there to surprise visitors. This year a few friends and I rented a cabin through Dollywood cabins (highly recommended) and headed to the park to see if we could find Dolly.

On to the pictures:
2014.jpg
Lots of staff say it's a coaster, the Dippin Dots guy was mute on the subject
Act.jpg
Opening weekend at Dollywood also means the Festival of Nations. This was an Australian Act that used metal poles to dance and spin around on. As it was outside and cold there was no surprise Dolly visits that were going to happen.
Bread1.jpg
Seriously try some if you ever go to Dollywood.
Cross.jpg
Surely we are going the right direction!
DS.jpg
At last! Now the hunt to see Dolly can begin!
Grist.jpg
But first thing is first at Dollywood, bread and questioning where Dolly was.
SDC.jpg
But this sign gets me excited for later this summer ;)
advmt.jpg
Adventure Mountain is becoming a part of the past. It was a good attraction but what ever is coming will probably be equall if not better.
bread2.jpg
She wouldn't tell us where Dolly was, but did show off how the best bread ever is made.
choochoo.jpg
We boarded the Dolly Express to take a sit and hope to get some info on where she might be (suck it Hogwarts Express)
dolly1.jpg
What we found was not the Dolly we hoped for...
dolly3.jpg
At last! There she is! A successful fun weekend that all culminated with me getting to exchange quick sent aces with Dolly. Hurrah!
dolly4.jpg
Once the train returned we found out we had just missed the Dolly parade!
eagle.jpg
Strolling around the park you can see Wild Eagle's soar, but some how we still couldn't see Dolly.
festival.jpg
We decided to ask one last festive person where we might see her and then suddenly....
fries.jpg
Feeling let down another snack was needed.
mmm.jpg
So we took a break to strategize with some skillet food. Hi Joey!
origional.jpg
We kept seeing these signs about the original but not the real Dolly that were like a tease.
pie.jpg
And a small slice of Dollywood's 25lb apple pie for a pick me up.
stuf.jpg
Getting even closer!
the south.jpg
If you've never been to Pigeon forge, it's full of characters, like this guy with his custom leather jacket that said "Southern By The Grace of God"
van.jpg
The Dolly Van sneaking around the park drove by and off we went to find her.
weeee.jpg
Keep Yer boots on!
wood.jpg
A bit saddened by missing the parade, we went to look at old wood, new wood, in-between wood. And as always Thunderhead was running great! Even if it was 40 degrees out.
Last edited by SuperShawn on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:55 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: The 2013 Adventures of SuperShawn

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Yay for Dolly!!! I love her, too. Great artist.

Great TR Shawn. And all - that - food.... mmm.

Looking forward to more TRs from you.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:32 am

I'm really disappointed the Dippin' Dots guy didn't have anything to say on the topic. Though, that must mean it is HUGE!!!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 am

I want to go to Dollywood for the food!

Next time make your pictures bigger. My old eyes have a hard time seeing them!

Postby SuperShawn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 am

^^^ thanks! Jealous of your picture with her.

^ sorry Bob and everyone about the picture size. Learning how to resize on the MacBook didn't go so well the first time. Next time they will be proper size for sure.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:49 am

I was so happy our car broke down in the Smokey Mtns on the way home from vacation last year, it was the perfect way to sneak in a visit to Dollywood. Nice to see an update from you Shawn! I know how much you love Dolly I'm glad you got to see her.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Postby beatle11 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm going to have to try and get out to Dollywood soon. Maybe not this year but it's definitely high on my list. That apple pie looks unreal! SDC will be fun in the summer though!

Postby SuperShawn » Fri May 31, 2013 7:41 pm

This week I had the pleasure of going down to Six Flags Over Georgia for the first time and meeting up with RD, Matt, and Lauren. After reports from Deep South Bash, and other's reviews it was one of the Six Flags parks I was looking forward to finally getting to. The park was well shaded, reasonably clean, staff were friendly and efficient and the rides seem to be well taken care of. All of it just didn't give the normal Six Flags park feeling which made for a great visit to one of the better properties. And While none of the coasters will crack most top 10 lists, it is a well rounded collection of purely fun rides in my book. I do hope to make it back to this park one day.

Here's a few of my thoughts on some of the rides:

Mind Bender - My now favorite Anton coaster, surprising Air, good forces and great pacing.

Goliath - Out of all the B&M Mega coasters I've ridden this one could be the best. It was running well, love not having a mid course break, and the Helix is decent.

DDD - It's creep quiet when it runs... especially if no one is screaming on the ride. Hard to believe it's related to some of the other Euro-fighters.

Ninja - despite the hype on how horrible this ride was, it actually wasn't that bad. Apparently the Arrow trains have helped make it ridable. Though it's still not re-ridable in my book.

Georgia Cyclone - The work RMC is doing, just wow! The difference it makes in the old vs. new track is unbelievable!

Superman - Wow! What a difference terrain makes for this coaster.

Monster Mansion - This was my most anticipated ride in the park, and I loved the odd, cheesy, cute, bizarreness of it. If only six flags could some how do more original ride and/or character concepts.
DSC00274.JPG
Little Known Fact about Gertrude, she flys to SFOG to breed.
DSC00276.JPG
Will it be Anton or the Kennel for RD?
DSC00281.jpg
"God is that you?"
DSC00282.JPG
Anton would prove to be a wonderful #400 for me, And if you can ever ride one of his creations with RD, I highly suggest it!
DSC00286.JPG
Dive Dive Dive!!!! Or in this case silent, silent, silent. How is this ride soo smooth and quiet?
DSC00307.JPG
And cue the "oh crap" moment
DSC00284.jpg
The other "oh crap" moment is being a week to early for this concert.
DSC00294.JPG
And then there is this piece of crap...
DSC00299.JPG
Intensity is not the word to describe Ninja.... but it's now wrapped and ready to advertise.
DSC00303.jpg
In case you didn't know SFOG got a tall new addition this year.
DSC00293.JPG
That's right, another Sky Screamer has been installed.
DSC00292.jpg
A little sign love. Sorry the way they had the overflow line configured and my lack of zoom doesn't get all the details.
DSC00295.JPG
Basically it goes up and down and round and round and round and round.
DSC00297.JPG
After just riding SFOT's giant version this one just looks like it hasn't hit puberty yet.
DSC00283.jpg
Why not one more photo of Anton doing his thing.
DSC00290.jpg
Certainly look forward to going back at some point! Thanks for reading.

Someday, I hope to find my own Indiana Jones.

Postby Jojo19799 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:48 pm

How did I miss this thread?!?!?! I miss Dollywood and SFoG. Both are great parks and I can't wait to get back to them. I'm also happy that you got to see Dolly two years in a row!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for the bigger pictures! I have never been on a Sky Screamer so one of these days....

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive