Skycoastin' Steve's 2012 Season Extravaganza!!

Verbolten and Jen's 300th credit! Page 20!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Skycoastin' Steve's 2012 Season Extravaganza!!

Postby Spideyfreak » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 am

^That whole brake run can park 2 trains, I've seen a picture. I think this would be a fantastic idea!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 am

WOW the operations were that bad at Hershey? I definitely will NOT be going on a weekend day this year then. I can not believe they sent out a ride with 9 open seats!!! Most parks are notorious for that though.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:44 am

Spideyfreak wrote:^That whole brake run can park 2 trains, I've seen a picture. I think this would be a fantastic idea!

Two trains with one on the transfer, or two trains with both far enough back to allow the transfer to be free to slide over when needed?

Jakizle wrote:They can have the exit platform on the left side of the track and the unload station area can still be used as the transfer.

Riders on the right side still need a platform to step down onto before crossing to the left to exit. That platform can't be in the way of the transfer piece, so any unload station would need to be located probably 10-20ft before the small turn into the station, which then cuts into that stretch's ability to hold two trains if need be.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:27 am

A single rider line would be great, but only if used effectively. There has to be a somewhat dedicated person to quickly spot and assign empty seats.

With ride operations how they are, I don't think Skyrush could handle a single rider line.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:00 pm

^I would be shocked if most of the ops there could handle walking and chewing gum at the same time, let alone a single rider line.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:
Spideyfreak wrote:^That whole brake run can park 2 trains, I've seen a picture. I think this would be a fantastic idea!

Two trains with one on the transfer, or two trains with both far enough back to allow the transfer to be free to slide over when needed?

Jakizle wrote:They can have the exit platform on the left side of the track and the unload station area can still be used as the transfer.

Riders on the right side still need a platform to step down onto before crossing to the left to exit. That platform can't be in the way of the transfer piece, so any unload station would need to be located probably 10-20ft before the small turn into the station, which then cuts into that stretch's ability to hold two trains if need be.

You can still build a walkable platform on the transfer track... SEE MR. FREEZE. Say if you don't believe that there's not enough room behind the transfer area for two blocks... well why not make the transfer track (only the part that attaches to the station) part of the unload platform. Meaning the platform actually slides to the side with the track as one piece. Premier did it! If they ever needed to transfer trains they would just be sure that no one is on the platform, which parks do anyway. When there's no transfer taking place the platform stands perfectly plush with the load station and the blackhalf of the unload station. Just trying to brainstorm here... where there's a will there is a way!

Also for reference from Keystone Thrills:
Last edited by vacoaster09 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:41 pm.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Because we're not talking about moving the entire train, we're talking about moving a single piece. And because of the winged seats, that piece physically HAS to be outside the station, because you can't move track through the floor people are walking on. And you can't move that piece of track while a train is sitting on it, because the rest of the train won't come with it. We're not talking about an entire transfer track setup like on a B&M or something, we're talking about the kind of transfer track they use for dual stations.

Unless you plan on them designing a station where the entire building moves.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:43 pm

"because because because because..." *sings song from the wizard of oz!

Well like I said it was just a brain storm, but my original Idea was just an unload station behind the transfer. As shown in the picture in my last post... there are two trains parked behind the transfer area. The most forward of the two currently has what looks like a maintenance platform... that would be where I am referring to about them turning that into an actual unload platform.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Counselor Neil

Postby televisedconfession » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:28 pm

They built a crappy station. Get over it.

Great report Steve. I still have not been to Hersey since they opened Great Bear (yeah, that long), so it's nice seeing a great addition to a much better line up of rides since I last went. I'll get there one day, I think I just might wait a year and let the crowds dwindle down a bit.
In terms of operation, was it BGT bad? It can't be that bad, can it?
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Chain Dawg » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:42 pm

I'd say relocate/modify the ride op control platform. Chances are there is just a small enclosure with a touch screen and some buttons. Not that hard to relocate. Put the stairs in where the current control platform is. Relocate the ride op control panel to a much smaller platform towards the middle of the new unload area, where the doorway is to the train maintenance bay. I wouldn't expect to see any changes for this year though, so just grin and bear it. I do like the idea of the current exit being turned into the single rider line. On a ride like this, where people are going for the choice seating, I think it is almost a necessity.

An unload station would require too much work and money, not to mention more operators. My guess is that they will find a way to modify the existing station to load on one side and unload on the other. They did good on the stations for the past 2 Intamins, so I'm not sure what happened this time.

I've always found the ride ops at Hershey to be helpful and very sociable. Maybe they just want someone to appreciate them. If they are not filling the cars, I would say that management hasn't conveyed it to them that it is a priority. You have 2 choices. 1) let the people sit where they want and have longer lines. 2) Force them to sit in a seat they don't want to ride in, and then have unhappy customers.

Of course the other option is that Hershey will not change anything, but that isn't very likely.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive