Chadster's Vacation Adventures: Final Edition!

2/2/13 - Sea World Orlando!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Chadster's Vacation Adventures - Pleasure Pier

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:50 pm

I didn't notice the roughness of Iron Shark.

I did notice the bad stench in the area.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Chad, I pretty much agree with you on everything. I decided to hit up Kemah Boardwalk and Pleasure Pier on the same day, and I felt like going from Kemah to Pleasure Pier was like tripping down the stairs. I went in July, so the beach had a fair amount of people and the water was warm like soup. I felt that the pier was super expensive and feel like they would have more business with free admission but offering a ticket system / ride wristband like they have now. That is what Kemah Boardwalk has and it works a lot better (And that place had a much better atmosphere as well!)

Weird how you found Iron Shark rough though. It's not my favorite Euro-Fighter, but I liked it more than Untamed. I felt that Iron Shark was so fast, that it whipped you around the seats and I bumped shoulders with the people next to me nearly every turn. I didn't ride anything else on the pier as the Star Flyer wasn't open yet and the other rides were just the same rides from other parks.

I probably won't go to back unless they lower their prices or something. I'd rather try Schlitterbahn Galveston a chance... I just feel like, outside of the beach and the pier, there isn't much else to do in that area of Galveston. And I doubt many people that live in Galveston visit the pier, because they built the pier for tourists instead of the locals. And a lot of people that own homes in Galveston are vacation homes of some sort, which they are in during the summer, so it makes sense that not many are visiting the pier. Oh well...

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:10 am

Yeah, I'm not really sure why Shark was acting up, the drop was smooth but after the immelmann it started to skid and bounce. Our resident Gerstlauer/Schwarz expert suggests salt buildup on the rails as possible reasoning as the entire ride isn't like that. I kinda wish I had ridden it when it was newer but I was waiting for the entire Pier opened up before visiting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the ride is bad in the least, it's exciting from start to end, and the lap bars added to the experience, especially on the drop, just something was running afoul.

Being as they currently offer a Fri-Sun pass for three attractions (Aquarium, Kemah, and PP) for $40, it shows they are trying to get the local crowd in, but IMHO even that price model is geared towards tourists. If they want to be open on Thursday evenings, which they could, perhaps a 17.95 entry fee couple with a local band or activity geared towards the tween market would bring them in. And by local I mean Galveston and Southern Houston area locals as coming from Northern Houston one would need to plan on an hour plus drive, even coming from Hobby took 50 minutes, and I was not exactly driving under the speed limit.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am

JRHcoasterki wrote:Great TR! Awesome pictures! Those nighttime shots are fantastic! And I have to say, Iron Shark looks pretty cool with that lighting package. It was interesting hearing about how IS was a little rough, I hear that about quite a few of Eurofighters. It seems like the park has potential, so hopefully they lower their prices, and, like you said, acknowledge that their clientele is the locals.

There is a bit of "Jeckyl and Hyde" in the Eurofighters--you never know if the good doctor or his evil alter ego is going to show up. Looks like nighttime is when one should visit the Pier.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Jerrykoala2112 wrote:I felt that the pier was super expensive and feel like they would have more business with free admission but offering a ticket system / ride wristband like they have now.

I can't understand why they don't do this already. To me that's just common sense.

Chroniq wrote:I know you aren't a fan, but your photos make me feel like this place is loaded with potential if it had crowds and atmosphere. That and the LED lighting package on iron shark and the star flyer is just sick.

Definitely agreed. Looks like it could do well if the price was right.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Re: Chadster's Vacation Adventures - Galv Pleasure Pier

Postby chadster » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Howdy Folks! Great news for you. I am required to mail two packages as part of a clandestine shopping assignment and you could be the beneficiary!

I have one to mail tomorrow and one on Saturday, sooooooo....If you want a sack of stuff from my adventures this year, post and tell me! It might include something cool, it might not. But tell me quickly, I will randomly select two to give away later tonight so be prepared to send me you address ASAP!

Good Luck!

-chad

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: Chadster's Vacation Adventures - Want Free Stuff?!?!

Postby eddie200330 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Random mail packages are awesome!!!!! You are more than welcome to add this along with the Bag of Crap just won!!!!!!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby sobrider » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey free stuff is always good!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:31 pm

I love free stuff, but then again, who doesn't! ;)
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby rolercstrluvr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 pm

I'll gladly take a package off of your hands for you. Its Nice to receive stuff in the mail, especially when it's a surprise and you don't know what's in it.
Gold Striker Ride count: 435

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive