Photo TR: Divv & Andrew at Adventure Island

Yes, a park in the UK is open in January!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
The Hotel Inspector

Postby Erik_73 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Divv3k wrote:Andrew’s been desperate for a long, long time to say “Hi Erik!”

Thats a really good "I like ice-cream" pose Andrew! But even for me it looks like it is to cold in Britain at this moment for ice-cream... Ahhh luckily in Singapore it is 30°C (86°F) and the Haagen-dazs stand is right around the corner of my hotel ;)

Looks like the brit crew members are having fun! Keep up posting Divv I always like to read your photo TR's

SharkTums wrote:
Pirouettes907 wrote:I'm also impressed they're open year-round. I thought 40 degrees F. was the magic number for operating coasters. Judging from this TR and Robb and Elissa's riding coasters in the snow in Japan, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

The US has been lying to us for years now!!!! Seriously.

It's all a money issue. It costs money to keep the rides maintained longer, and costs money to have the staff around. Most parks know that most Americans won't go to theme parks when it's cold, rainy, bad weather, etc. so they close.

It's lame.

Normally according to the manual you can operate a coaster by 3°C (37°F). If a park want to operate below that temprature, the coaster should be equipped with special devices like an air dryer in the pneumatic system otherwise the brakes could freeze up. On rainy wether there are no operation limitation. The (block) brakes are designed and tested for very wet conditions.
But riding a coaster in the rain is no fun... remembering riding Colossus in the poring rain on the TPR europe '08 trip. It is like needles being shot at you!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Divv - thanks for all the submissions to the Park Index.

If anyone is curious about all the rides at Adventure Island they can now be found in the Park Index.

Adventure Island in the TPR Park Index
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 am

Erik_73 wrote:But riding a coaster in the rain is no fun... remembering riding Colossus in the poring rain on the TPR europe '08 trip. It is like carnivourous bees being shot at you!

Corrected!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 pm

^I approve of this correction...

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

The Future Mrs. Big Mike!

Postby Pirouettes907 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:07 pm

SharkTums wrote:

It's all a money issue. It costs money to keep the rides maintained longer, and costs money to have the staff around. Most parks know that most Americans won't go to theme parks when it's cold, rainy, bad weather, etc. so they close.

It's lame.

That makes sense, but how nice it would be to beat off the winter blues by running down the road to Six Flags to take a spin on Batman or something! You're right. It is lame!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 pm

Fret not Larry – I still got you a photo of the ride sign! ;)

Oh man...that literally made me laugh out loud!

:lolr:

TPR's RCT2 Expert

Postby dmaxsba2408 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Wow, a version of the slide in RCT, I had no idea it was based of a real world slide.

I to am aggravated by the lack of parks willing to open during the winter, at least they could open on the weekends with minimal staff. As for the brakes, if every truck that is driving down the highway can keep their air brakes from freezing I would think a stationary coaster brake system shouldn't really be an issue.

Anyway happy to see you were able to get out and ride in January. =)

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:25 pm

SharkTums wrote:
Pirouettes907 wrote:I'm also impressed they're open year-round. I thought 40 degrees F. was the magic number for operating coasters. Judging from this TR and Robb and Elissa's riding coasters in the snow in Japan, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

It's lame.

I'm sure Kennywood would operate in 10 degree weatber with a foot of snow on the ground. :roll:

I knew what you meant. Some parks in the U.S. never see snow and close down anyway for the winter months. All for the reasons you listed, but some parks like those above the mason dixon line don't have a choice.

Can you say frostbite?

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby NathP » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:37 am

Great TR Divv! Adventure Island is only across the river from me. I went there August last year for the first time and had a great time, no queues even on a peak school holiday day, it was open until 10:30pm then! The park had great operations compared to other smaller parks I've been to.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby coastercub » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:52 pm

I love Adventure Island. it's a great little park.. 2 hour drive from me though so don't go very often.. I didn't know it was open all year though..

Yes Mini Mega is getting some stilts.. or should i say they're building something under it ! either way, it's getting taller !
Dumb people are like Slinkies....

You can't help but laugh when they tumble down the stairs !!

:butt:

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive