Well here it is at long last. It's my trip report from last summer's TPR Mainland Europe Trip! I've been meaning to post this for months now but life has kept getting in the way and so it's only now, into 2009 that I'm actually able to start the TR. I was gonna just not bother after a certain stage but I figured that if Lou can post her 2007 year in review all the way through 2008 I can post this now!
So I'm sorry about it being a bit later than planned but I had some other stuff taking up my time after the trip and well, there were already loads of fantastic trip reports going on from all the various TPR trips this year. Posting this now also means I don't have to compete with them and worry about mine being inferior.
Yet again the Alveys put on an absolutely fantastic tour for us lucky participants and hopefully I'll be able to share a bit of that with you guys here.
Day -1: MER DE SABLE (Below)
Day 0 - Part 1: JARDIN D'ACCLIMATATION
Day 0 - Part 2: PARC ST PAUL
Day 0 - Part 3: BEAUVAIS FAIR
Day 1: PARC ASTERIX
Day 2 - Part 1: WALIBI BELGIUM
Day 2 - Part 2: AVENTURE PARC (Ropes Course)
Day 3 - Part 1: BOBBEJAANLAND
Day 3 - Part 2: TOVERLAND
Day 4 - Part 1: EFTELING
Day 4 - Part 2: DRIEVLIET
Day 5: WALIBI WORLD
Day 6: HEIDE PARK
Day 6 - Part 2: DRAGON BAR!
Day 7 - Part 1: MOVIE PARK GERMANY
Day 7 - Part 2: SCHLOSSBECK
Day 8: PHANTASIALAND
Day 9 - Part 1: TRIPSDRILL
Day 9 - Part 2: HOLIDAY PARK
Day 9 - Part 3: HOTEL COLOSSEO BAR!
Days 10 & 11: EUROPA PARK
Day 11: WALYGATOR
TOUR BUS TRIBUTE!
Days 11 - 13: DISNEYLAND PARIS, Part 1
Days 11 - 13: DISNEYLAND PARIS, Part 2
Days 11 - 13: DISNEYLAND PARIS, Part 3
Days 11 - 13: DISNEYLAND PARIS, Part 4
MER DE SABLE
Seeing as I'm a bit of a credit whore and there seemed to be a few others on the trip a bunch of us made plans to hire a car for the first weekend before the trip offically kicked off to hit a couple of other parks in the Paris area. The plan was for five of us to hire a car and head to Mer de Sable on the first afternoon we were there (Day -1) and hit Jardin d'Acclimatation and Parc Saint Paul on Day 0.
Unfortunately some members of our group of credit whores got hit by flight delays and so it was only Erik and I, who had travelled to Paris by train who were actually in Paris in time to make our way to the first park. So we quickly picked up the car, checked into the hotel and headed out to Mer de Sable. Anth was hanging about the hotel with nothing to do so he was lucky enough to make the most of Steve. Jes and Ben's misfortune and nabbed this bonus credit.
I only go on about this at length to rub it into those three that I got a credit that they didn't on this trip! =P
Mer de Sable is a nice little park set on a slight hill which is made up almost exclusively of sand and western theming. The one coaster there Train du Colorado was my first Souquet coaster. After riding it I'm not surprise there aren't many of those around. The ride was quite amusing as the complete lack of banking on the turns mean that you're thrown right into whoever is sitting next to you multiple times. Well it as quite amusing for us, maybe not so much for the poor little girl who ended up sitting next to Erik!
We had a quick look around the rest of the park but as it was warm we opted to do the log flume which had a really insane drop. Really one of the best drops I've ever experienced on a log flume.
Anyway, we went back to the hotel and met up with the rest of the group. It was great to catch up with some old friends and fantastic to meet some amazing new people. The evening wasn't so great for poor Erik who witnessed Holland crashing out the Euros but for the rest of us fun was had! In what was to become a theme for the trip we closed out the hotel bar and so headed to another hotel bar and closed that one out too!
I'll try and ramble less next time! Here's the day -1 photos...
- My journey begins at the sexy new St Pancras International Railway station.
- SS856032 copy.jpg (274.62 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- Being a total train geek as a youngster who followed the channel tunnel construction I was super excited to pop my Eurostar cherry!
- SS856033 copy.jpg (214.45 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- Here's the first constipation shot at the first park of my trip - Mer de Sable!
- SS856036 copy.jpg (303.92 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- The park is built on the side of a hill with mostly kiddie rides.
- SS856040 copy.jpg (359.04 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- Le Train du Colorado is Mer de Sable's only coaster. It was my first chance to ride one of these Souquet concoctions.
- SS856041 copy.jpg (280.75 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- Erik prepares to crush the innocent little girl next to him!
- SS856049 copy.jpg (273.95 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- First credit of the trip! Hi Steve!
- SS856043 copy.jpg (189.6 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- Don't expect any banking on the turns. Just expected to be crushed by the person next to you!
- SS856048 copy.jpg (425.71 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- The park features mostly kiddie rides. Like this very RCT looking thing.
- SS856039 copy.jpg (476.36 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- Or this fire fighting thing that I've seen at a few European parks now. Probably a good thing we passed on this. It would have likely ended in tears!
- SS856037 copy.jpg (335.13 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- The park's log flume was really great. It has such a fantastic drop. Probably the best ride in the park.
- SS856051 copy.jpg (289.63 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- SKLOOOSH!!! With it being such a hot day this was much needed.
- SS856052 copy.jpg (347.05 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- Anth and Erik both approve of the awesome Mer de Sable log flume!
- SS856055 copy.jpg (332.35 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- Bloody hell, we better get moving if we want to make the start of the trip!
- SS856054 copy.jpg (356.46 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
- One park down and still many, many more to go! This was a nice little park to spend an hour in. Especially since it meant I got a credit that Steve should have but didn't. =P
Day 0 is up next...
- SS856057 copy.jpg (197.27 KiB) Viewed 7378 times