The Official "TPR Europe Trip 2008" Thread!

Disneyland Paris Part 2 Posted! Check Page 1
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
The Hotel Inspector

Postby Erik_73 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:01 am

TPDave wrote:Due to various boring laws of induction, the braking force excerted on the train will be proportional to the speed of the train as it enters the brakes, this can be assumed as a percentage drop in speed (where the percentage is determined by the distance between the magnets). Basically the brakes dont slow you down by a set speed, but you're right in that if you go in faster, you come out faster :D

There are more variables with magnetic brakes such as:
- The air gap between the aluminum fin and the magnets. On coasters that use the same brake fin for slowing and stopping (block control) they loose brake force when the brake fin is wearing.
- The temperature because the magnetic braking energy is transformed into heat. The lower the outside temperature, the more brake force is generated.

Another interesting fact on magnetic brakes is that they can not stop a train completely to standstill. For multi train operating rides, a safe block control is only possible with mechanical brakes.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 am

Erik_73 wrote:The temperature because the magnetic braking energy is transformed into heat. The lower the outside temperature, the more brake force is generated.

Erik, could this have been part of why people thought the trims on EGF seemed more forceful last year? It was apparently a colder day than this year. I thought the trims seemed to have very little effect on the speed of the train this year.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

The Hotel Inspector

Postby Erik_73 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:17 am

ginzo wrote:
Erik_73 wrote:The temperature because the magnetic braking energy is transformed into heat. The lower the outside temperature, the more brake force is generated.

Erik, could this have been part of why people thought the trims on EGF seemed more forceful last year? It was apparently a colder day than this year. I thought the trims seemed to have very little effect on the speed of the train this year.

Yes, the outside temperature has a very very big influence. While the temperature has also negative influence on the coaster speed while the internal bearing friction on the roadwheels increase at lower temperatures. So the train is slower, and the brakes generate more brake force...

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 am

Very interesting Erik, you're clearly meant for better things than Vekoma ;)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:41 am

Der Der Dongt wrote:I don´t know, but since you all say the coaster was awesome during your trip.

Many people on the trip felt this way but not EVERYBODY.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:59 am

ihani wrote:EGF looks so fun! I like the color scheme of it.

But why is it called Holiday Park? I see nothing relating to holidays. :?r

SharkTums wrote:Holiday as in 'Vacation'.

Yeah, in Europe, going on "vaction" is called "going on holiday" so that's where the "Holiday" in name "Holiday Park" comes from.

--Robb

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Ryancrash » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Erik_73 wrote:
ginzo wrote:

Yes, the outside temperature has a very very big influence. While the temperature has also negative influence on the coaster speed while the internal bearing friction on the roadwheels increase at lower temperatures. So the train is slower, and the brakes generate more brake force...

Interesting. I rode GeForce in 2007, not with TPR, but on my own visit. The general TPR consensus was that GeForce was not up to its usual standards in 2007. I went to Holiday Park on Aug 1, 2007 (which I believe was shortly before or after the TPR visit) - the day I visited was warm and sunny (once again, I was wishing for sunglasses on the loading platform and lifthill). On Aug 1, 2007 GeForce was running GREAT - it instantly became my number one favorite. Personally, I didn't see too much difference between the way GeForce was running on my 2007 visit and the way it ran for us this year.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Day 10 - Europa Park
Home to Theme Park Review's "Best Theme Park in Europe!"
europapark10.jpg
Europa Park is by far Elissa and my favorite park in Europe! It's got everything...awesome coasters, cool dark rides, and most importantly...RODENTS!
europapark08.jpg
The landscaping here is better than any other park in Europe. (Yes, even Disney IMO!)
europapark09.jpg
Everywhere you look there is sexy architecture that makes grown men drool.
europapark02.jpg
TPR's tour of Europa Park would start with a little bit of ERT on Eurosat...with the LIGHTS ON!!!
europapark11.jpg
Is everybody in? Your Eurosat ceremony is about to begin.
europapark07.jpg
Even with the lights on this ride is completely INSANE!!! (Watch out for that sudden jolt!)
europapark34.jpg
Europa Park has a crazy selection of coasters, and yes, the bobsled has drops...that's a good thing!
europapark48.jpg
Big Mike is ready for his Exclusive "Ride" time! ;)
europapark25.jpg
Ok, let's go check out some dark rides...
europapark29.jpg
Yup, it's Pirates!
europapark28.jpg
BOOBS!!!
europapark33.jpg
Here is Silver Star. While not as awesome as GeForce, still a lot of fun! (Note the new scream shield!)
europapark13.jpg
You guys like waking up in the morning to roller coasters?
europapark18.jpg
MORE FLAGS! MORE FUN!!!
europapark22.jpg
"I am communicating with my home planet!"
europapark14.jpg
Big Mike is enthusaistic...Joe is....confused?
europapark55.jpg
CAR! FAAAAAAST!
europapark27.jpg
It's beautiful! Just like a postcard!
(Thanks Hanno!)
europapark01.jpg
"I've always wanted to be a construction worker, and now thanks to Europa Park, I can live out those childhood memories..."
europapark05.jpg
Girls on Trampolines!!!
europapark20.jpg
"I'm gesang in the regen!!!"
europapark12.jpg
"Do you get wet on this ride?"
europapark53.jpg
NO!! PIERS!!! STOP SQUEEZING!!!
europapark47.jpg
Our stay at Hotel Coloseo was beyond AMAZING!
europapark46.jpg
The hotel is beautiful...
europapark49.jpg
The food was amazing...
europapark38.jpg
Big Mike was relaxing doing his Road Show update! Everyone loved the hotel....
europapark54.jpg
...except for the "emo group?"
europapark03.jpg
Um...what exactly is going on here?!?!?
europapark04.jpg
Spongebob looks PISSED! Dude, I'd be pissed off too is some old guy was grabbing at my crotch!
europapark19.jpg
CREPE....GOOOOOOD!
europapark41.jpg
"I'm CRAAAAZY plate of hot cheese...gimme some Elissa!"
europapark40.jpg
"Hey Elissa...don't you want a little bit of my raclette?"
europapark23.jpg
Boogey! Boogey! Boogey!
europapark51.jpg
Maybe we can use all these tickets to build a fort!
europapark52.jpg
CHRIS! FOOOOOOOD!
europapark39.jpg
We ended our visit to Europa on one of the most awesome...most unique roller coasters in the world...EuroMir.
europapark44.jpg
We got to walk up the towers for some hot TPR photo taking action!
europapark17.jpg
"Hey down there! You all ready to ride?"
europapark24.jpg
Oh dear...is the world ready for TPR on EuroMir???
europapark26.jpg
The only way to describe Euro Mir like "one part russian disco, one part roller coaster, one part lazy suzan, and one part Ikea showroom!"
europapark30.jpg
Here comes the party train!
europapark35.jpg
Little do they know I'm going to smack them in the head with the camera as they come by!
europapark43.jpg
Here is the "Ikea showroom" part of the ride!
europapark36.jpg
So THAT is what's inside of those towers...it's AIR! "This is PURE AIR! Do you have any idea what the street value of this tower is?"
europapark32.jpg
Everyone in the group loved Euro Mir! I think it was most people's favorite coaster of the park!
europapark31.jpg
Thank you Europa Park for an AWESOME visit!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:53 pm

Hanging out in that fountain area of Hotel Colosseo was a trip highlight for me. You could eat ice cream or drink alcohol and watch the awesome fountain show. Heck, you were allowed to play in the fountain if you were willing to risk getting totally blasted with water.

The hotel in general was beautiful, nicer than most Disney hotels. And they gave us a fruit bowl and sparkling water in the rooms when we got there!
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Hand 0f Time » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:04 pm

EuroMir really does look like an awesome ride. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive