Photo TR: Ocean City, Maryland

Trimper's and Jolly Roger at the Pier
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Phasm8 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:35 pm

Great Photos! I went to Ocean City about 4 years ago and forgot all about the Looping Star.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby printersdevil78 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Kennyweird wrote:[img]I'm taking a guess then that Trimper's had a Schiff Wild Mouse sometime in the past, did it not?

It very well may have, though I'm not aware of it, and I didn't come across any photos of it when I was researching my book. I know Playland, down the road, had a Wild Mouse, and when that park closed in 1987, Trimper's and Jolly Roger bought some of its assets (Ghost Ship props for Trimper's and the pirate mascot for Jolly Roger). I wonder if it may have come from there.

Thanks for the photo. I had never seen one of those before.

I play Metroid every day!

Postby Kennyweird » Wed May 28, 2008 3:53 pm

^ I looked up Trimper's on RCDB, and apparently they did have a wooden (I'm assuming Schiff) Wild Mouse. The link to the page is below. I don't live anywhere near Ocean City, so this is probably more interesting to you than it is to me.

Trimper's Wild Mouse on RCDB
This is my signature. Deal with it.
Kennywood Rides Team Member- Racer/Skycoaster
Coaster count: 67

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby cathyJ » Wed May 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Seems like Jolly Roger has gone through a LOT of coasters over the years.

There was a time in the late 80s and early 90s where Jolly not only had a corkscrew..

http://rcdb.com/ig1363.htm?picture=1

but the old King Cobra shuttle coaster from KD was there as well..

http://rcdb.com/ig638.htm?picture=1

Wonder why all the changes?

Postby printersdevil78 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:20 pm

^^That's really interesting. I've never heard of "Melvin's Amusement Rides" before. I do know the Trimpers owned most of the property in that area at least by the early 1960s. However, I do see at least one incorrect thing in the RCDB listing on Trimper's in that they did have outdoor rides prior to the '60s. I have a 1920s postcard showing the Ferris wheel, and newspaper accounts of a 1930s storm (can't remember if it was '33 or '36) talk about a couple of the Windsor Resort rides toppling over.

^I think Jolly Roger has just been trying to keep up. I never did like it as much as Trimper's, and nowadays they seem to be angling for the kiddie and family crowd more so than the thrill seekers. Of course, that may change with the acquisition of Pier Rides. That park has a good mix of spinners, thrill rides and kiddie rides in an extremely tight space, not to mention the most midway games I've ever seen bundled together in a permanent setting (it's part of the "charm").

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby esvadj » Fri May 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Great trip report. I enjoy Ocean City, and go a couple a times a year - in fact I will be there Saturday.

No pictures could ever show just how many rides are cramed into such a small space, it still amazes me. I also agree that Trimper's is the best.

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Fri May 30, 2008 2:22 pm

Kennyweird wrote:Image
Where have I seen this mouse before? Hmmm...

Isn't that Euro mouse from Europa Park. Only broken up and probably has a hundred diseases.

--James

We Ride with Pride

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Awesomeness.

I went to Trimpers 2 years ago and loved it. At the time, my father wouldn't let me go to JRATP, because we had other stuff to do. If I go back, I will be sure to do both-and Jolly Roger too. I read a report that they got a "new" Wildcat this year.

IMO, the Pirate Funhouse is the best walk-through there-one of my favorite attractions in my home state! Mirror maze is lame (too short), the Arabian Walk through was allright, and the Haunted House is good, but much worse than Knoebels. The Tobogan was the best coaster in OCMD. I know I should be shot for saying that.

BTW, what happened to JRATP's 220 foot tall sling shot ride? I didn't se it in your "park panarama" shot.

Postby printersdevil78 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:57 pm

^The slingshot ride is still there. I didn't get any photos of it in flight, but you can see the support cables that steady the towers at the right and in front of the Ferris wheel in the panarama.

I haven't been to Knobels, but I've seen pictures of their haunted house, and it looks awesome. I'm planning to bridge my one-day gap between the Ravine Flyer/Behemoth Mini-Trip in Philadelphia and my state Jaycees convention that weekend in Baltimore with a side trip to Elysburg, so hopefully soon I'll be able to compare for myself.

In the meantime, I just got a text from a friend inviting me to Kennywood next month, and I leave for Kings Dominion in eight hours, so it's shaping up to be an eventful summer. Bring on the rides!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri May 30, 2008 8:15 pm

Wood Dragon 1988 wrote:IMO, the Pirate Funhouse is the best walk-through there-one of my favorite attractions in my home state! the Arabian Walk through was allright.

I'd go as far as to say Pirate Funhouse might be the best walk through funhouse remaining in the US.

I too was not impressed with the Arabian walkthrough.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive