Shawn's Worldwide Adventures! PTRs From My Travels

Coaster In A Mall p.17 & Voting Ends Today For India Contest
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:43 am

Hey.
Lovely pictures once again and thanks for turning us all green with envy.

Any sign of the Mack Water coaster that is supposed to be built at Chimelong this/next year?

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:55 am

That WaterWorld rip-off looks awesome. Looks like they took the best of Miami Vice (the hovercraft and mine car track) and WaterWorld! Keep up the great updates!

"Been Around The World And Realized Only Stupid People Are Breeding"

Postby packfanlv » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:57 am

^No there was no sign of construction on the Water Coaster. In China they tend to open rides early in the year to coincide with the Chinese New Year so it is possible that this ride will go in early next year. Perhaps things will be different when TPR visits there on the trip in a month.

When I was there I talked with Duane at RCDB and he said that he got his information on the new coaster(s) from Mack, so perhaps the park backed out on the deal or postponed it. They do have a lot of room for expansion though. If they add a couple of other great rides I can see this being the premier park in all of China. (Besides Disney of course!)

Thanks everyone for the great comments!
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:09 pm

While that park may lack some theming, it still looks very nice in your pictures due to all the trees and plants. I'm sorry your son wasn't able to ride as much as he would have liked to. It did still look like you were all having a good time though. I always look forward to checking in on your updates and, as usual, this one didn't disappoint. Thanks for sharing.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby superman2 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Shawn!

Great report.

just a quick question what is the name of the park Jing Ying Amusement Park is in?

Also what is the nearest metro station to it if known?

Thanks

Postby packfanlv » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:55 am

^The park in Guangzou that Jing Ying is located inside of is called Yuexiu Park. It also houses the famous Five Ram sculpture and Zhenhai Tower. It can be reached directly on line 2 at the Yuexi gongyuan stop which literally means Yuexi Park. I hope this helps!
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

Wuhan Zhongshan Park

Postby packfanlv » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:35 am

Like so many amusement parks in China, today's amusement park is located within a small area of a much larger municipal park. Wuhan Zhongshan Park is located in the city of Wuhan in Central China.

Haven't heard of Wuhan? Don't worry, I recently heard that China has 90 cities with populations of one million or more. This city is the only one on the Yangtze River that has large population centers on both sides. The amusement park sits in the heart of the city and is a popular place for locals to hang out.

(Note: This park and area will not be visited on the TPR China trip! Haha an exclusive for me! ) :evil: :evil:
Wuhan 005.JPG
Before heading over to the park we decided to get some lunch. If anyone tells you McDonalds isn't popular in China they are lying. I have never seen a McDonalds that wasn't busy!
Wuhan 006.JPG
No chicken butts or pig snouts on the menu here!
Wuhan 010.JPG
The amusement park is located in the back corner of this lovely city park.
Wuhan 127.JPG
So you can see how along ago we visited!
Wuhan 013.JPG
Ok back to the park. In the front non amusement section they have a large lake with peddle boats for rent.
Wuhan 019.JPG
As far as city parks go, China does pretty good!
Wuhan 020.JPG
Finally after twenty minutes of casually walking, we came to the amusement section.
Wuhan 022.JPG
I was immediately impressed with the sight of the log flume. (Unfortunately the smell was quite a bit less impressive!)
Wuhan 023.JPG
What a pleasant place!
Wuhan 027.JPG
The first coaster we came to was Flying Saucer.
Wuhan 032.JPG
It is an older style Spinning Wild Mouse.
Wuhan 030.JPG
The ride was quite rough at times, but not too bad.
Wuhan 042.JPG
At least it was a credit!
Wuhan 056.JPG
The next coaster we came to was the In The Woods Flying Mouse. We watched two people ride in front of us, but were then told it was closed. After a few minutes of arguing I left, but did not give up hope!
Wuhan 068.JPG
A little disappointed in the missed credit we then headed to the park's third and final coaster aptly named Roller Coaster.
Wuhan 073.JPG
The ride features a loop and double corkscrew. It was one of the smoother versions of this ride I have been on. It was built by Sameco.
Wuhan 079.JPG
As is normal with Chinese coasters I get a lot of knee banging with the decreased leg room.
Wuhan 080.JPG
A view of the station.
Wuhan 043.JPG
At this point with the third coaster still not operating we decided to walk around the park and look at some of their many flat rides.
Wuhan 045.JPG
For the most part the flats were in great condition!
Wuhan 049.JPG
Rides for both the old and young at heart.
Wuhan 051.JPG
Cool a UFO themed ride with dinosaurs!?!? This explains a lot.
Wuhan 055.JPG
At this point still no luck with the elusive coaster. It was running periodically but they never would let me ride. I was still determined, but went back to poking around the park.
Wuhan 059.JPG
Wuhan 065.JPG
Wuhan 066.JPG
Yes the legs did move as this went around the track. They looked like cheap vacuum tubes. It was quite the interesting sight!
Wuhan 084.JPG
Heck they even had a drop tower in this park.
Wuhan 096.JPG
And a ferris wheel.
Wuhan 089.JPG
I said, "Hey is that a girl riding the coaster?" The ride op inferred, "Why yes it is Mr. White Man, but you can't ride the coaster and I don't speak English and you don't speak Mandarin so all I can do is very rudely shake my head and fists at you!"
Wuhan 101.JPG
Ok then I guess its time to ride the shooting jeep ride through the jungle.
Wuhan 105.JPG
We were a little nervous going through this tunnel.
Wuhan 104.JPG
Where are all of the animals to shoot?
Wuhan 107.JPG
Oh ok, there we go!
Wuhan 114.JPG
At this point the coaster was still not running for us, but it looked to be getting closer so we left the amusement section to walk around the park and adjacent shopping malls to kill some time.
Wuhan 119.JPG
Near the lake we came to these Zorb like things.
Wuhan 125.JPG
Naturally Shawn Reece and I had to give it a try. Can anyone say oven?
Wuhan 129.JPG
Finally after an hour at the shopping mall we returned to find the monorail running. Would the coaster be going as well?
Wuhan 133.JPG
Thats right baby, victory is ours!
Wuhan 137.JPG
It looked like a copy of the coaster in Guangzhou that we discovered in the rain. The car kept making noises and felt like it was going to fly right off of the track!
Wuhan 058.JPG
But we got the credit!
Wuhan 083.JPG
And now a few random photos to finish off the TR.
Wuhan 093.JPG
From the ferris wheel.
Wuhan 111.JPG
Wuhan 144.JPG
On the way back to the hotel it started raining so hard that we missed our bus stop and ended up on the other side of the city. 2 hours, three buses and a taxi later we finally made it back. Like I said before, it was all worth it because we got to hang out at a Chinese park in a very cool city and in the end picked up three credits. How good is life?

Postby superman2 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Shawn

Thanks for info on Jing Ying park.
From the metro stop it should be walking distance.
Can you remember the exit?
I just want to save as much time as possible as i'm planning to hit three parks on that day including Nanhu and Chimelong.
Before you ask i have been to Chimelong before so only need to get the new B&M credit.

Did you do any parks in Zhuhai?

Your trip reports are great.
The saucer coaster looks really cramped.Haven't seen anything like this before.

Postby superman2 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:49 pm

Forgot to put this in the last post.
Do you know the opening and closing times for Jing Ying park or the best time in the day to visit them when all the coasters will be most likely operating?

Postby packfanlv » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:58 am

^No problem. I don't remember what exit, but the signs are in English in the subway and it is about a one minute walk to the big park's entrance. You have to pay admission to the big park. Once inside walk straight towards the back for about five to ten minutes and you will see the amusement park. I don't know operation hours unfortunately. (We visited in the middle of the day.)

As for Zhuhai, we didn't make it over there, but are trying to squeeze it in before we fly out of Hong Kong on August 24th. I have seen pictures of Pearland and it doesn't look very nice and Mysterious Island is a bit far out so I just don't know at this point.

Thanks for the comments!

Shawn

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive