Geauga Lake in the 80's-90's

pictures, facts and print material from Geauga Lake
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby BrownStreak » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:39 am

These are some good pictures. I remember coming down from Buffalo to visit GL and Sea World when I was a kid. Are you going to cover the other side of the lake as well?

To those who say "the park was better before 'Six Flags' took over" should know that Premier acquired the three Fun Time parks and then bought the Six Flags chain from Time Warner- so it was the same people who ran the park from the early 90's to 2000 as the time when it was "ruined" the first time.
Of the road, but still in a truck...By the way, that's my dog Millie (named after Millennium Force) over there to the left!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

:(

Postby xXxChiiElricxXx » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:08 am

I myself am i bit sad about the closing. I've only been there once and I asked if I could go back next summer with some friends. Only about 4 or so months later, i found out the park was closing. :cry: R.I.P. GEAUGA!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coasterfreaky » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:45 am

montezooma wrote:I know that in the early years of Knott's Corkscrew they frequently ran two trains. Opryland also ran two trains at the same time. Those are the only two I ever saw running a two train operation.

Yes, Opryland did run two trains on Wabash Cannonball - probably 80% of the time. And what was interesting to me is that the Standard Operating Procedure (for W.C.) was to stop one train at the top of the lift to buy enough time to get the other train unloaded and loaded again, rather than stacking. Sitting at the top of the lift gave some pretty great views of the State Fair area - sigh.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby 8bitking » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:06 pm

This is AWESOME!! I LOVE THEse Old pics!! I grew up not too far from Geauga lake and have TONS of fond memories from it....In particular I am looking for a picture from the WAVE sign..it was a big wave with mean eyes and wave-like hands from what I can remember...anyone have any pics of it from back in the day??

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby HPCrazy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Awesome collection you have there! Too bad I never experienced the place, but I do have lots of maps going back to about ten or eleven years ago that they mailed to me.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Movieguy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:40 pm

I went to Geauga Lake at least three times in my life. One of them was in 1988. As a matter of fact, we still kept the park map from that year around the house for a number of years.

Geauga may not have been the biggest, or even the most popular of the Ohio parks, but it still had something intangible about it. Something that just made me look back on it and smile.

It's too bad it had to close down, but I'm still happy I got to see the place while it existed.
Coming to Lakemont, Del Grossos, Idlewild, Kennywood, and Waldameer, the week of July 17th.

XBOX Live Gamertag: CitrusMammal

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive