Geauga Lake in the 80's-90's

pictures, facts and print material from Geauga Lake
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 am

I know that in the early years of Knott's Corkscrew they frequently ran two trains. Opryland also ran two trains at the same time. Those are the only two I ever saw running a two train operation.

Postby montezooma » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Two more photos I found that show the layout of the park the year of the Centennial Celebration.
geauga lake areal 3.jpg
Geauga Lake overview showing corkscrew and original go-kart track
geauga lake areal 1.jpg
Geauga Lake over view

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby gr8LAboy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 am

Looks like the bottom pic was taken on a buisy day at Geauga. Look at the line for Music Express and Spider.

My little 13 year old self is probably somewhere in that pic as I went to the park something crazy like 72 times that summer. They used to punch holes in the season pass on the day you visited. Mine was nothing but my picture, park logo, and a couple of missed weekend days.

There wasn't much to do in Solon so we'd ride bikes to Aurora.

Postby montezooma » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:07 am

A couple more things I found from Geauga Lakes more successful years.
geauga.jpg
geauga 1.jpg
arrow 2.jpg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Awesome pics! I actually have the 1988 brochure from the year that I went. I loved the two girls faces shown on the cover page riding the corkscrew...they look absolutely terrified! <lol>

I remember thinking that it was a cool family fun park, but being that CP was so close, we usually always wanted to go there instead of GL.

I won't soon forgot the water speed slide (the humped one) right on the lakefront and the embarrassment of having to pick my bathing suit out of my a$$ after riding it! That thing was awful!!!

Sure glad that I got out there last summer before it closed. While the park looked like it needed some TLC, I could not really see signs that they were going to just close it completely down. :airtimer:

I hope that the Big Dipper ends up somewhere...hopefully here in the US. That was the hands down the best coaster in the park (in the front seat). Yes, even better than Dominator!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby RobtheSquirrel » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:38 pm

The Lion, The Dog, and The that monkey thing were the past mascots of Geauga Lake before Premier Parks come in.

When Premier Got Geauga Lake, they kicked out the 3 mascots and was replaced by the Turtle.

P.S. Wow I have never been there. :omg:
TPR's Only Squirrel

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - The Rock and Roll Capital of the World!

Postby Supernatural Anaesthetist » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Great pics everyone! It sure brings back a lot of great memories. I still have to say The Wave was probably one of the best wave pools I've ever been to. The size of that pool was so huge....and waiting for that one wave seemed like it took forever. But when it came, total chaos!

Anyway, I was digging through some of my things when I remebered I had kept this ad that was in one of the Ohio travel magazines from the 80's. I've always loved the stylized look of this piece, kind of combining the old with the new. Enjoy!
GL AD LR.jpg

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby LilMommyBug » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks for the pics.

We went the year that the Texas Twister opened. The Corkscrew was my first loop coaster :)

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby gldude » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:43 pm

My dad told me that the first year Double Loop opened he waited 3 hours for it. I wish I could have been to the park back than.

Just Kidding!

Postby coastercrzyjames » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:38 am

Wow, this was such an interesting post! This park has always caught my eye as an interesting place. Too bad it's no longer operating. I always wanted to check it out. :(

This post gave so much more insight to it's great past though. Very cool.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive