Photo TR: BACT in the Bay Area

Gilroy, SCBB, Great America, SFDK
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Beer for the here, hiccup!

Postby Bubba83 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:30 pm

Ahoy! It was fun meeting up with you at the once promising and now declining Great America. The last time I rode Runaway Reptar was when it was called the Green Slime Mine Cart Coaster, and before that, when I originally rode it as my first roller coaster ever when I was like 8, it was the Smurf Coaster. Does that count as 3 credits? :P

I was interested to see how you liked the other parks you went to and I am glad you enjoyed them for the most part. When I asked you about Giant Dipper you kinda shrugged it off, but now I see that you liked it more than you led on. Yeah, I know, being the best woodie in California isn't saying much, but still, it's good! I also agree with SCBB being the best seaside park, though I haven't been to many... It just has a great atmosphere to it that can't really be explained on paper, but you guys really should have walked down the pier and stopped in at Marini's!

So you like Roar better than Ghostrider then? That makes me hopeful because when I was at KBF earlier this year I didn't like it much at all. It was quite rough and didn't have any airtime at all, we even gave it multiple chances from several different spots on the train at several different times of day. Oh well. I can't believe the golden tickets put it like #17 for best wooden coaster???

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby KGA29 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Mark Rosenzweig wrote:I'm not so sure the Intamin coaster was anything more than rumor. It is for sure, however, that the original S&S Thrust Air launch coaster was slated to open at PGA in 2001, but for unconfirmed reasons (corporate neighbours IMO), Paramount opted to put the ride into PKD last second. Because the spot PKD chose for the ride was not able to accomodate the original configuration, S&S had to make last second changes to the ride's layout (actually shortening the track leading to the awkward track layout that Hypersonic has today).

Which is why PGA removed the train. Hypersonic was supposed to fly right over the old train station. I still remember the 2000 map that had a giant arrow pointing at that location and saying "Look for more thrills here in 2001!" Then I was all disappointed when it didn't happen. So in a scramble to do something with the County Fair station, they used it for the que for Psycho Mouse. They also now use the tunnel over by Demon for ride storage.

I've heard this before, but I don't know if it's true. See the circular plants? I've heard that those were going to be where the big footers were to be planted, but were changed to plants when the ride fell through. But I don't know that for a fact. It is in the right place.
Great_america.jpg
PGA's Celebration Plaza

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:53 pm

Hey, I enjoyed the TR and big thank you for the Kong pics. Liked the Opryland joke. May do the same for Penguin's Blizzard River and the Tin Lizzies at SFKK. Good way of looking at the crediting... ;)

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:07 pm

Sweet...glad to see some Nor Cal parks once again. I do definitely wish/hope Cedar Fair will add a new coaster soon as our last big coaster (That's standing of course) was Invertigo. (I don't count Stealth as that was a come 'n go). Yea, Psycho Mouse is a coaster but I'm talking about a full sized coaster.

Fire Alarm Boy!

Postby arrowfanman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:13 pm

Nice Photo TR Derek! I embarrasingly havn't been to the NorCal parks in over 5 years now (Zonga was new when I last went up there ::? ), but I pretty much smack-dab agree with your views. Giant Dipper really is the best woodie in CA.

Thanks for the photos. I really should make it a priority to get up there sometime. Damn their bloody offseason!

-Jahan

Full Fledged Great America Enthusiast!

Postby Sunfire » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:57 pm

This was a great Photo TR. Last time I went to Discovery Kingdom was probably 4 or 5 years ago (when it was still Marine World). It's strange to see how much can change in a couple of years. I'd like to make a trip up to Vallejo some time. But still my homepark will always be Great America.

I agree with many other people on here that Great America needs a new "big coaster." With the "same ol, same ol," I'm starting to question whether I should get a season pass next year. I don't really care if it's gigantic or average sized, just something that's intense, and isn't family oriented like Survivor. Don't get me wrong. I love Survivor the Ride, but I want a coaster as thrilling as Top Gun.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:19 pm

I guess it has been awhile since I've been to KGA or SFDK because I didn't even know that any park out West had the Flyers! Time to get back up there...

And, nice photo TR by the way. :)

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:06 am

Ok, dumb question, but what happened to Zonga? is it "in storage" ala king cobra?

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:02 am

^Last I heard, Zonga got sold, but no one at Six Flags knew where it went. :?r
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Postby bgwfreak » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:55 am

I really am impressed with the selection of older rides at Great America.

And they stole our (Carowinds) swings too.

I'd give them back Borg to get our swings back. :lolr:

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive