Return of the Sad-and-Pathetic Photo TR: KD Opening Day '07

Paramount is still bustin' out all over
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Ass is another word for Donkey!

Postby kissorkill2night » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:38 pm

If the rain is strong enough i know they shut down FOF,Valcano,Hypersonic and dropzone. other than that i dont think they really shut rides down except for thunder/lighting. But this might of changed. so i dunno
Home Park: Kings Dominion

My last name is Kitchen and I am learning to become a Chef.

Top 5 Coasters: 1. Griffon 2. Kingda Ka 3. El Toro 4. Nitro 5. Valcano

:station:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:41 pm

^^I think you'll be OK as long as there isn't any lightning. I've ridden Volcano and the flyers in the rain before.

Postby kissorkill2night » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:21 pm

my butt/waiste is so big AND im tall, i have the smallest fit on the hurler and grizzly, it sucks cuase it hurts more.

Postby kissorkill2night » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:07 pm

I just got home, today was a GREAT day at the park!Got there around 11, it wasn't raining much AT all, went up the eiffel tower to shoot a couple shots then came down. Walked right up to the stupid sponge bob ride,grizzly,hyper sonic,huler,richochet,rebel yell backwards and fowards,shockwave,italian job,andaconda,FOF,volcano,avalanche,tomb raider. There wasn't a wait any longer than 10 min all day[i had to wait about 10 min for hypersonic the 2nd time i rode it]

sooo my ride count for the day
Grizzly=3 times
Hurler=1 time
Ricochet=1 time
Rebel Yell backwards 2 times
Rebel Yell Foward 2 times
Hyper sonic 3 times
Drop zone 1 time
Shockwave 2 times
Tombraider 2 times
volcano 5 times
FOF 5 times
Andaconda 3 times
Italian Job 5 times
Avalanche 2 times
Scooby Doo dark ride 1 time

Hypersonic was down for about 2 hours from like 4-6ish i guess?they were cycleing empty tains that whole time, im not sure what was wrong.I also noticed supivisors look alot more professional, they stand out more, i noticed they have to wear shirt and ties now.You can really tell they're understaffed, a few rides had maintnence and/or supivisors checking the restraints.Ride opps. were decent today i guess.I went to country kitchen and got a 3 piece chicken meal with mac and chees and mash w. gravy and a buiscuit for like 10$, it was DAMN good.

such a good day :airtime: ill have pics up when i upload them i guess

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:16 pm

^Glad you had a good time. Your report shows two things, I think:

1. That spring is probably the best season to visit Kings Dominion
    2. A nor'easter is a great way to reduce crowds (the storm actually isn't hitting us until tomorrow, but the forecast may have scared people off)

Postby kissorkill2night » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:39 pm

Yea, spring is ALWAYS best time to visit KD.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Itty Bitty TR 04-14-07

Postby mwhinva » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Well, I went back up to KD yesterday. The rain had pretty much stopped in Richmond and I hopped in the car for a 30 min trip up to the park. I had no problems with my new season pass at the parking toll booths. I even tried out the season pass parking lot (for those that purchased SP parking that is). You insert the season pass in the card reader. It scans your bar code and the gate opens and in you go! =) (there was a total of 5 cars in the SP lot). I could have just parked in the main lot as there was probably only 4000-6000 people in the park.

I decided to ride the other wooden coasters in the park that I did not try on opening day. First stop was the Gribbly. The old gal was hauling and mean as ever! (I guess I would be too if somesone had rudely awakened me from a nice winter hibernation!) I noticed that the last turnaround had been retracked. No more dip before the final turn. The tunnel slam dunk is as good as ever. I personally think that riding this coaster makes you more "regular". :kiss:

I rode the Hurler next. I noticed all the factory props had been cleared out of the station area. (Sorry, the paramount logo is still peeling away). I was aprehensive about riding since everyone acts as if the train travels at a 45 degree angle to the track. I did not think the ride was as rough, shuffling wise, from the last season I rode it in 2005. I did notice the metal bracing on the curves. ( "L" metal braces on the outside of the running track).

I rode the Rebel Yell forward and the trains were flying. I then drifted over to the Congo Stunt Track Area and rode IJ, FOF, Anaconda (with seat belts - 2 train operation), and Avalanche. Max wait time on any of those attractions was 10 minutes.

I still cannot figure out the new red metal shell where the old Coke cool zone was. It has 2 huge electrical boxes bolted to 2 of the columns. I noticed that they are running electrical conduit along the top girders. (For Lighting?) I still cannnot figure out if this is to be a food stand, game, or something else. It does not match the construction style of any food or game stand in that area. I feel the electrical boxes are big enough to control a whole power grid! Hmmm ...... something to ponder.

Well, for the biggest news of the day. The "Poo" sign has been fixed on the front of the TR:F pool area! I believe that someone from KD or CF must be reading these forums!!! =) =)

And finally, for those who have been mumbling "Jim, he's Dead!!" in their sleep after visiting the park for the last couple of weeks, the park sound track is fixed!!!! I can now confirm that Paramount comissioned more than one movie theme for their movies!!!!!

Till we meet again.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:43 pm

^Thank God for fixing the music! So, are we back to hearing the Leave It to Beaver and Naked Gun themes again? Really, it doesn't seem like a ride on Drop Zone without hearing the Naked Gun at least once while you wait.

Postby kissorkill2night » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:01 pm

cfc wrote:^Thank God for fixing the music! So, are we back to hearing the Leave It to Beaver and Naked Gun themes again? Really, it doesn't seem like a ride on Drop Zone without hearing the Naked Gun at least once while you wait.

The songs that i heard were Leave it to beaver,star wars,and the rocky theme song, but those were the only ones i knew

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby CoasterLuv » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:32 pm

i love italian job, and volcano. was ashamed it's impecable safety record was shattered last year after cedar fair took over. it was like the ghost of the angry paramount logo or something. accident on SOB at Kings island, and Volcano at KD last year, then carowinds on BORG this year. i hope they open a new coaster at KD before taking down Hypersonic (if anyone is stupid enough to bye it,,,would make a great themed rock n roll ride for the new hard rock park in myrtle beach)

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive