Return of the Sad-and-Pathetic Photo TR: KD Opening Day '07

Paramount is still bustin' out all over
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:01 am

Howl-o-Scream at BGE starts on September 14--another factor to keep in mind--and KD is only open on Saturdays and Sundays after Labor Day (BGE is also open on Fridays).

And, yep, Saturdays are the busiest days at either park.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby coastercub » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:25 am

hmmmm thats a bugger.. Will be at BGE on sept 14th, KD 15th and BGE again on the 16th. I'm on a mega tight schedule so have only those 3 days to play with. Could do BGE on the fri/sat and KD on sun I suppose !!

Oh well I'm sure it'll be great either way !!

Any ideas if Hypersonic will still be around then ?

Thanx for the info though. At least I know what I'm in for on those dates !!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby 49ers4ever » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:36 am

First post here - good website, good trip report.

My family (me, wife and 1.5 year old) went last Saturday, and we enjoyed ourselves quite a bit, especially considering it was our first theme park trip with our young child.
We had a great time... especially enjoyed the weather. Upper 60's and partly cloudy. We still got a little red in the face since we forgot the sunscreen.
The line to the season pass office was quite long, but didn't take but about 30 minutes to get our passes and picture taken (we didn't get there until about 10:15AM). I'm guessing the line was really long considering that it was KD opening day. Next time we'll be able to just waltz right in.
After we got in, we were able to get a parent swap pass from one of the employees at the turnstiles, since the line to guest services was kind of long. If you and your spouse are by yourselves with children, this is a great thing to have so one of you can go up to the exit and get on once your spouse has ridden a ride. The only hiccup we had was at the Italian Job, as the employee didn't seem like he fully understood how the parent swap pass worked. He thought the card meant you had to come back AFTER 15 minutes, but the card says to return WITHIN 15 minutes, meaning you can ride right away, or come back within 15 minutes to ride. He admitted that he was mistaken after we pointed it out to him and apologized, and let my wife right on.

We rode the Scooby Doo Ghoster Coaster, Avalanche (twice), Italian Job (twice), Tomb Raider Firefall, Scrambler, Ricochet, Carousel, Blue Ridge Tollway, Eiffel Tower, and the Action FX Theater featuring SpongeBob.
None of the lines took more than 15-20 minutes to get through, it was really nice. I was disappointed to see the Shenandoah Lumber Co. (log flume) shut down, we were looking forward to riding that one, a favorite classic. Didn't feel like getting soaked so we skipped the White Water Canyon even though it was open. Firefall was a walk-on in the evening about an hour before closing, looks like they can fit a lot of people on for each ride.
Got a funnel cake, tasted great. Got the "Flight of Fear" special, which was a funnel cake with either strawberry or chocolate topping (we got them to do half and half), then a load of soft serve ice cream on top. I agree, the ice cream was nothing to go crazy about, but the dish as a whole tasted quite good. We packed our lunch so we didn't feel bad about splurging on a dessert. We never like spending a ton of money on KD food because we've always felt like it's way overpriced for the quality and quantity you get. We always pack our lunch because it's way cheaper and tastes just as good. They have picnic shelters out in the parking lot so that is a nice option, you could probably even bring a grill if you wanted to tailgate; someone correct me if KD has a rule against that.
Anyway, Italian Job was our favorite for the day. I'm not a huge extreme roller coaster fan, so this is the perfect ride for me... it's got speed and some air time, but nothing crazy and high off the ground.
We also attended the Nick Jr.'s Dora the Explorer Sing Along Adventure. We thought the show was highly entertaining. The actors and actresses they hired are very nice, energetic, and seem like they enjoy what they're doing. If your kids like Dora, don't miss this one, it's worth it. The show was only about 30 minutes long.
Overall, it was a fun trip, and we can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks. See you there!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:01 pm

Love the photo tour of KD. As for the old Paramount logo, just get Cedar Fair time to finalize this park so KD will be more Cedar Fair than Paramount.
I''m not perfect; I just love to ride!!! :airtime: :airtimer:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby KingOfNynex2003 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:31 pm

looks like it's going to be ineteresting to see if CF actually does some more modifications to the park or just keeps it the way it is for all eternity, btw great photos!
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a8a731ac04bc03138e9c85ddc2e9c415.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:45 pm

coastercub wrote:hmmmm thats a bugger.. Will be at BGE on sept 14th, KD 15th and BGE again on the 16th. I'm on a mega tight schedule so have only those 3 days to play with. Could do BGE on the fri/sat and KD on sun I suppose !!

Oh well I'm sure it'll be great either way !!

Any ideas if Hypersonic will still be around then ?

Thanx for the info though. At least I know what I'm in for on those dates !!

Hitting BGE on Friday the 14th should be OK (and you'll even have a light crowd for Howl-o-Scream). Sunday is your best bet for KD, but if you have to go on Saturday, I recommend that you get there a little before opening and ride Volcano first thing (lines for the woodies shouldn't be an issue). I imagine Hypersonic will still be around, too--if so, ride it as early as possible (that line gets long fast).

^^^And go Niners! (I'm a former Central Valley resident--strong 49er territory.)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby 49ers4ever » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:49 pm

cfc wrote:^^^And go Niners! (I'm a former Central Valley resident--strong 49er territory.)

Go Niners is right! Good to see a fellow fan here on these boards!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby pkd804 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:29 pm

Some photo's I took on April 1, 2007:

^How many trash cans do you see in this picture? :lmao:

^The enterance got an entire makeover. Looks nice. =)

^Anaconda did get seat belts. Luckly, it doesn't effect loading times because they are re-tractable.

^Tornado from Eiffel Tower. Looks like a nice slide. =)

^Here is the view someone mentioned of the Tornado from Drop Zone's plaza area. It really does dominate the enterance.

^Zoom Flume looks nice as well. =)

^Tomb Raider wasn't running on a full load most of the day today, so the lines were fairly short.

If you want to see more photos go to, KDSource and click "Photos".

You just lost the game

Postby the sound » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:40 pm

^I can see no trash in your picture.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:39 am

^^Your links to your pics appear to be bad. Bad, bad links! No treats for you tonight!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive