Son of the Sad-and-Pathetic Photo TR: PKD, 7-23-06

Or, "Blood for the Volcano God"
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:55 am

I asked one of the ride-ops at the Grizzly station, who said that they did run two trains on Saturday (probably even busier then). The entrance to Griz is damn hard to find (hell, there wasn't even a sign up on Sunday--just that bear statue, which is tucked away in a corner). All the other coasters had all their trains running (even the lousy Hurler). Overall, the ride-ops were pretty good (didn't waste much time dispatching trains).

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Postby bgwfreak » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:12 am

Now I'm jealous. Carowinds just paved over more pavement for our racetrack, PKD is awesome and cut down some trees! Go Green!!! :lolr:

Nice report. I'm glad that the volcano god likes me and never has made me give up bodily fluids. Unless you count that one time...

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:11 am

"Lunch: The Reality"

So depressing, yet unfortunately so true for many park restaurants. Bah. :(

Thanks for the pics.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:21 am

Yikes! If lines are that bad on an overcast Sunday, I'm not sure how much I'll be enjoying my trip on a Saturday (August 5th).

Is Italian Job worth waiting in line for?

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Postby bgwfreak » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 am

^ PKD on Saturday will be PACKED.

Italian Job is an ok ride, but I wouldn't wait much past 45 minutes for it.

I've been on the PKI version, but they are pretty much the same.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:59 am

^^The line for IJ last Sunday was about 30 minutes for the front row; they were using the switchbacks under the yellow awning. It's a surprisingly efficient little ride when it gets going. Definitely more fun when all the effects are working, though.

White Castle fries only come in one size

Postby Bubba Z » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:25 am

I have never seen the park look so busy, and to think those people were actually waiting in line for Shockwave :shockr: I'd have to agree with finding the Grizzly entrance. It was hard enough before to find it let alone find it tucked away where it is now. Stupid Go-karts

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Kumba9 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:33 am

I have two additional comments.
1. Why the heck did they paint Shockwave that candy-cane like color(s)? It almost makes me want to puke.
2. Hey Chuck? Would it be suffice to say that the PKD crew is better than the BGE crew? Both in terms of ride operation/capacity and friendliness and stacking/non-stacking of coaster trains.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:52 pm

^1. According to Jeff (aka pdkcoaster), Shockwave's bizarre paint job is an attempt to make it blend in better with the Nickelodeon kid's area behind it. It really doesn't work, though.

2. I think I'd give BGE staff the edge in friendliness, while the PKD coaster ops seem more efficient (that is, less likely to stack trains). It is hit or miss at BGE--few stacking problems with Nessie and Wolfie, more problems with Appie and Alpie (although Appie has improved over the beginning of the season). I don't think you would've caught Busch staff arguing with guests like I saw at PKD on Sunday, either.

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:12 pm

Looks like there was no shortage of land whales on your visit to KD...

I would have just died looking at that line for Volcano, which is one of my favorite coasters. I too, have never seen the place so busy, guess I got lucky all 3 times I've been.
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive