Photo TR: Julie rides Goliath (SFoG)

With Joe and Anthony!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:02 am

^^ Heh, very cool Parktrips. I was actually looking to find the cover of that particular World magizine. Yes, I am old enough to actually remember when that issue came out (I had a subsciption when I was a kid). I totally forgotten about that issue until I rode Monster Plantation for the first time last summer. Funny how things come around like that.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DLA » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:42 pm

Great TR, Julie!

I just returned from meeting at a Barnes and Noble with author Tim Hollis, who is working on the Anniversary book for Six Flags Over Georgia as well as exhibits displaying photos and merchandise of the park. This guy knows the park in and out, so he will do a fantastic job. He brought a lot of photos to show, and a fellow theme park enthusiast overheard us and joined in on the conversation---very fun! Anway, Mr. Hollis had a lot of photos of the old Okefenokee ride and Monster Plantation. Yes, I wish they'd get the ride back to its former self---I went on it when I was a little kid in 1982 when it was still new and pretty. I got to see photos of concept art and the models used for some of the characters, as well as clear photos of the marsh monsters. I gave Mr. Hollis copies from the Monster Plantation Postcard Book (which has awesome illustrations) that the park was kind enough to send me free years ago when I wrote them about getting the coloring book----they were out (anyone willing to sell a copy?). Hopefully he can use the copies for one of the memorabilia displays they are planning.

Mr. Hollis also showed photos of Walk-around monster characters the park used to have. I never saw those! They were of the Strongman Monster, the Tennis Monster, and the Marshall. Maybe we'll see them again someday.

By the way, the little girl on the cover of that National Geographic World (which I still have) with the monster is the daughter of Roy Moore, who is still with Six Flags and works with the parks' animatronics.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby dougr » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:14 am

USRoadTripper wrote:
Ugh! Monster Plantation!

Is it me, or does that ride have a wierd smell?

Nope, not just you! Smells like a combo of musty and moldy. All the fur looks so dusty and dirty! Sorry for hating on it Joe, but they could do *so* much better than that!

-Julie

If there is anything negative I could say about Pirates or Splash or Small World at Disneyland, it's that they all seemed to have that slightly musty smell. Maybe it's just a springtime thing. :|

I love pickles. No more comments neccesary.

Postby USRoadTripper » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:28 pm

If there is anything negative I could say about Pirates or Splash or Small World at Disneyland, it's that they all seemed to have that slightly musty smell. Maybe it's just a springtime thing.

Yeah, Pirates and Splash are *slighty* musty, but it's not an offensive, moldy smell. To me, most water rides smell like "indoor water", where Monster Plantation just smells like mold!

-Julie
Current coaster count : 223
waterviper [1:08am]: jahan i know you 17 and all but I think your one great piece of ass
arrowfanman [1:36am]: Good...now we have the trifecta of ass-wanting!

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive