TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR: Thanksgiving Weekend

ParkTrips

I appologize: these photos are smaller than the ones I normally display because of how my image host resizes things. Since I left my memory card at home, I had to buy a new one and only bought a 256 meg card at the airport. With half the space of my normal card, I was forced to use a smaller image size which is why these ones are coming up smaller.

My uncle lives in Bismark North Dakota, and since it's been 12 years since we went up to visit him (we usually make him come see us ) so my mom decided it was time to go visit for Thanksgiving. We left last Monday and flew to the Twin Cities, as the connecting flight from MSP to Bismark tacked on 400 extra dollars per person. On Tuesday, we woke up ready to go to Mall of America, home to Camp Snoopy.

first I noticed this...

Sweet, I've ran across dozens of Gideons Bibles but never a Book of Mormon. Yay Joe Smith, yay polygamy!!

Anyways, we were ready for the mall. My mom loves to shop, I love to ride and my stepfather will do both... so off for a fun day.

It was totally a coincidence but her'es where we parked:

The mall was already preparing for the holiday season:

First thing I rode was Timberland Twister. Solid ride, I sure to enjoy spinning coasters.

After that warm up, I looked at the Treetop Tumber ride, a rare Zierer Hexentranz. I had never been on one, and it didn't look too fun - boy was I pleasantly suprised! The change of forces from lifting you out of your seat to pinning you to the seat was great, and the multi-directional spinning made it a fantastic flat ride, the suprise of my trip.

After that I walked over and rode the shooter dark ride. Just a typical Sally shooting game, nothing too special but still kinda fun.

From there I checked out the Sponge Bob interactive movie, which was placed within a building that used to house a western themed movie, so Sponge Bob didn't fit in too well. Lame movie to boot, so this was a let down.

From there I hit the Ripsaw coaster, a Tivoli which meanders through the entire park. A pretty good ride though not too thrilling is offered a neat experience. I ended up with two rides.

After that I decided to ride the L'il Shaver, which is undoubtedly the lamest coaster I've ever been on. Good thing I won't count it, or else I would feel dirty as Rich says.

I strolled over and took a ride on the Treetop Swings, a fun swings ride that even had the backwards-facing seats for some really unique rides! Pretty fun and to me, it, along with the blow-up Snoopy, are the icons of the park.

I kept walking and took a look at the Lego area, which I remembered from my first trip to the mall 12 years ago. Very cool to this day, though being a former Lego fanatic (65 lbs of Legos -- sold for $400 a few years ago) doesn't hurt

From there I headed over and rode the log flume, which I boarded thinking "do I really want to get wet when its 25 degrees outside?". Well, I didn't get TOO wet, but I was blown away. The ride was awesome, with great effects, a super long ride (especially considering how cramped it is, it was impressive) and the perfect splash as far as I was concerned (you got wet, but not enough to make you miserable walking around inside the mall), it was another suprisingly good ride

I took another ride on Timberland Twister...

I went from there and rode the Falling star, which was a very good installation.

I kept walking around at this point, and got hungry so we ate at Famous Dave's BBQ. I had heard some good stuff about that place, so I was kinda excited. I tried out the "Texas Beef Brisket" which was an embarrasment to the Great State of Texas. It wasn't good enough to carry the name Texas, which was a shame. For desert I picked up some fried Oreos at Camp Snoopy, which were fairly good.

I went back and rode the Mighty Axe, another fairly rare flat. It could have been awesome if not for the slow portions which killed my neck, so overall, it was a let down.

I ended up on the bumper cars next, which were decent in every aspect (hitting power, arena, duration etc)

Kinda dated a bit still...

Having ridden almost everything, I decided to check out the ferris wheel for some photos and great views.

Here's my Employee of the Weak:

I went back and rode Timberland a couple more times...

And that was about it. I had a lot of fun at Camp Snoopy, which was better than I had remembered. Certainly not the kiddie park that I remembered it as, though it is still a great family park.

Goodbye, MOA.

On Wednesday we drove west to Bismark, which was only about 5 hours away but the longest, most boring 5 hours ever, especially the Dakota part. 200 miles between Bismark and Fargo and maybe 4 towns (oh, and 3 speed traps set up with the bridges). Mile after mile of field and small hills... very boring. But anyways, we made it to the state that doesn't believe in political correctnes (fine by me) and the state who's only claim to fame is two men and an injun who passed through 200 years ago.

Thanksgiving was fun, here's me and momma in my uncle's basement:

My step father went up a few days early to go hunting with my uncle, and he got a nice buck, seen here:

Check out that tounge, how delightfully gross!

On Friday we went up to my uncle's former wife's father's homestead, which is where they hunt. Here's a shot of his land, 800 acres along the Missouri river an hour north of Bismark.

... and that's what 99.5% of North Dakota looks like

Anyways they let me shoot some clay pigeons, and I had never operated a shot gun. Well, it was fun. I even nailed my first target, and ended up shooting a rate around 75%, which is decent, I guess.

Well that was all, on Saturday we trekked back to Minneapolis, watched Tech lost to the College of Drinking at Athens, and flew back to Atlanta this morining. I enjoyed myself, ate big and sadly remembered how there are no hot chicks in North Dakota, and hardly any in Minnesotta. Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving y'all

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. Don't know which was more freaky...

The deer head in the small garbage pail - or the ride op somewhat 'asleep'?

:shock: Gee, I hope she knowss where the emergency stop button is, with her eyes closed, "just in case," lolol.

Good TR. Thanks.

Yup it was in the Mariott Family (Residence Inn). I didn't even know that, nor did I notice one in the Fairfield we stayed at in Bismark. I didn't see the Bible though... but I guess you really do learn something every day!

Sleeping Ride Op - worth tons of laughs, she loved her job.

That photo of the ride op is awesome. I'll have to try and remember her face so I don't put my kids on any ride she is operating. (although with that attitude, she will probably be gone soon)

Venison is the best! We had to shoot 5 on our airfield last week, Mmmmm tasty. Just in time for Thanksgiving.

Yeah Joe, if you want to know more about Mormons just visit Utah ( you know, because of Lagoon ). I live there 3 years and my best friend is Mormon. Very secretive religion.

Oh no that deer was shot for food. Yes, it's fun and all, but that particular deer yielded 36 pounds of meat. I have a pic on my phone of another deer being gutted but I still don't know how to upload the pics :-/ While up there we ate all sorts of stuff, not just the deer. Elk and Moose to name a couple, mostly in sausage form (I guess they like smoked meats or something)

I was shocked that the flash didn't wake up the ride op :shock:

I've heard tons of stuff about the Mormon beliefs - definately weird stuff. No wonder they were presecuted in the 1830s and 40s.

The Mall of america wasn't just 'decent' in my opinion, I was suprised and impressed with the place. A great little park, especially considering its indoors.

LOL Scott! I put the pic of the deer head after the pic of me so you would forget about me... didn't work