TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tales from IAAPA 2005 With Photos!

ParkTrips

This is the first segment of a three-part report from the IAAPA Exhebition, the amusement industry's largest convention and showcase.

Today I did not have much time (only about two hours) so I kind of randomly walked around, taking some photos and I did do a couple of rides. This is definately a TR that needs to be done in photos.

First off, let me say I've never been to an IAAPA exhibition, and I wanted to go at least once. Well, I was pleased at how cool it was

Starting off is the latest technology in motorized vehicles, toilets and bath tubs!

That's right, why have antique cars when you can have a john!?

The next thing that caught my attention was the interactive racing game, and by interactive I mean they make you feel the laterals in the turns with hydraulic arms and the such. Too cool!

For all of you carousel lovers, how about a new band organ?

This Stinson organ was not only pretty darn nice looking (almost as nice as an old Wurlitzer or any of the other older compannies) but it sounded awesome.

The people at IAAPA love blow up dolls... I mean blow up slides. Sorry, wrong convention Here was a cool one, at least to a coaster enthusiast:

As I have seen in photos from years past, Zamperla always seems to have one of the largest and most impressive displays around, and this year was no different. They were operating a Disk'o, Flying Tigers a kiddie ride and something new, if I recall correctly (I don't remember the name, I'll try to make a point to do so tomorrow). Anywho I took a ride on the Disk'o and it wasn't too bad -- better than expected! My first Disk'o, the restraints were kind of akward and uncomfortable at times but the ride was still pretty fun.

That other ride:

I went over and checked out the PTC booth shortly thereafter, noticing some of the cool trains, including:

Three bench with individual ratcheting bar or buzzbar options:

Two bench old-school (single bar, no dividers):

And anyone recognize this one?

That same area also had some of the German firms, and I checked out the Gerstlauer booth, which featured a model of Mr Six's Pandemonium:

I liked that ride a lot, and I hope they sell more. IMHO they can fit well in both little parks and big parks alike.

Next up I checked out the Maurer Sohne exhibit, and they were definately trying to push their X-car coasters:

Wandering around some more, I came across the S&S Booth. Wait, what's this?

Hm, I thought that was an Arrow project? Oh yea that's the one that drove Arrow into the ground!

I eventually came across the B&M booth, and they had the SheiKra car on display:

For a company that 'allegedly' signed a deal with Busch to keep it exclusive, why display it? Hmm...

Anyways when I was at the S&S booth I had found out that they had a Screamin' Swing outside, and I wanted to ride that. Time was getting short, so I headed outdoors. It was a really fun ride even if it was way to cold (50 degrees) to be going that fast. Still, an excellent ride.

More parks need those, preferably included in admission

They also had a triple-decker carousel set up outside that was pretty neat:

Heading back in and with time waning, I didn't do much more. I did notice a new ride coming from Moser that looked interesting:

My guess would be that the ride above could either be really cool or suck. I guess I'll have to wait and see one of these days...

I noticed the Sally exhibit had a cool sports-desk announcement type of thing going on:

This reminded me of a game from when I was younger, I'll try to look up what I'm talikg about (it involved a tube-like thing, marbles and sticks):

Come back tomorrow evening for another update. I don't have anything going on tomorrow so I'll probably get more time to look around!

... I'll end with Al Harrington, President and CEO of Al Harrington's Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man Emporium and Warehouse!:

.. just remember to stop on route two in Wequapog!!!!

Edited by ParkTrips

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics! LOL at the Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man!

That game you're thinking of is called "KerPlunk"

http://www.playthingspast.com/mt506.html

I had one too when I was little...errr....young, I mean!

Interesting that not much of the show looks different from year to year. Makes sense, though. Not really any need to update too many of the booths. Did you happen to notice any "familiar" coaster footage playing anywhere?

--Robb

^ LOL! Never thought of that!

Robb - Thanks, I can't beleve I forgot about ker-plunk! You're right, it looked pretty much the same from any photos I've seen in previous years... familiar video? :?

Elissa - you're right, those things have been around in various forms from multiple companies, but I'm pretty sure the sign said it was new (at least from Moser )

Thanks for the comments guys!

Great pics and report! Did S&S make any mention about the next 4th dimension coaster project apparantly happening and FujiQ in Japan?

Interesting that they were displaying the X pictures, but since S&S did purchase Arrow they do now own all the designs so it does make sense to offer those attractions to the coaster market.

Find out any info about this new 4d coaster if you could!

Thanks!

It looks very similar to last years here in Orlando. Andy looser Imagineers there? (long story).

Def. lots to see!

Incidentally, the race car game you took a photograph of -- those arms aren't hydraulic -- they involve no compressed air -- its completely electronic, using a screw system (insert snicker here).

Rode it -- VERY rough (in a good way). Your arms are sore fighting the force feedback on the steering wheel afterwards.

^ Me too!

<<-- doesn't know the difference between pneumatics, hydraulics, or alcoholics so don't get to upset!!

OK, today's pics

I headed over around noon today, and I ended up staying about four hours. I had more time to look around and spend time doing things so I was pleased.

Congrats to all of the winners of the Brass Ring awards, including Dorney Park for Hydra:

The ride may have stunk but I really liked the way they marketed it!

Today I spent almost all of my time in hall C, where the rides and such are. I browsed through the special effects and stuff side yesterday, but today I wanted to concentrate on the rides.

Once again, I took a ride on the Disk'o. This time, my restraint got extra tight and it was pretty painful. Yesterday I seemed to do some decent floating, but none today

Yay for more wacky arms guys!!

"You're a McDonald... not a whore!"

Ah I see why so many enthusiasts go to IAAPA:

I headed off the floor for a bit and saw this:

Again, congrats to the merchandise award winners. Hats off to Dorney again (pun )

Anyways I walked around some more and finally took my ride on the new Zamperla ride, which is called a Wave Blaster. Kinda reminds me of a Satori ride. Pics:

The ride was fairly fun. I mean there were some nice pops of air here and there, but nothing to thrilling. Another good ride for the entire family to enjoy.

I ended up over at the Maurer booth and their X-car coaster won the "Best new product" award. congrats guys!

BTW the guy from Maurer that I talked to was probably the nicest, friendliest guy at the show, and that's no small task considering everyone is nice

The Sky Wheel layouts look kind of boring to me, but hey, no OTSR's is a plus!

In the same area, I made a point to check out the new Gerstlauer model, shown here:

Some of the specs include 2133 ft in length, 59 ft high, 50 mph on a 98' long launch that pulls 1.5 Gs.

More cool models:

Something I hope doesn't go through between now and next June:

Yes, that is Bullet and Magnum Force

I couldn't help but laugh at this game:

A cool look at Huss seats and the magic behind the restraints:

eh? Do they take credit for the old CCIs too?

Yay, hope!

I'm so glad that Larson makes flyers now, that just improves their chances of being around for a long time

As cool as Flyers and Huss restraints are, I REALLY can't wait for Magical Midway to open one of these:

Saw the Moser bicylce-in-a-circle thing in action today:

I didn't ride, but they seemed to enjoy themselves.

I then went outside again, and checked out the massive carousel from a closer perspective:

Not the most beautiful of carousels but still kinda neat.

Of course I couldn't pass up more rides on the Screamin' Swing

Cool look at the top of the arms:

These girls were terrified! It was so awesome!

I didn't know this, but there's actually a "wimp mode" for the Screamin' Swings, A little girl rode and the op used the "wimp mode" and this is as far up as it goes:

Tres cool IMHO.

Anyways time was winding down, but I did check out this new "thing" from Mondial:

A rally-car type ride, that could be fun! I'm sure its better than Rhino Rally!

Anyways thanks for reading and I've decided not to go tomorrow (I'm gonna head up to Pigeon Forge a little early) so I hope y'all liked my reports here.

- Joe

This reminded me of a game from when I was younger, I'll try to look up what I'm talikg about (it involved a tube-like thing, marbles and sticks):

Kerplunk, i believe is the game.

Anyways, how do you get into the IAAPA? Just being an ACE member or what?

Thanks but Robb beat you to it!

Ahh, no way, I read through every post other than just the TR just to make sure no one answered it already, must have missed it. There goes my moment of glory. *ray of sunshine gets swallowed up by gigantic rain/lightning clouds*

It's not worth getting excited about the "old school" PTC car - it's their kiddie car.

I see they've not changed the appearance of that three-row mixed-bar car for a couple of years. I think it was the same at IAAPA 2003, I sat in the second row and got locked in at PTC in June last year, it was the same at last year's IAAPA and the same at this one.

What I'm wondering, is if it's really worth showing off the buzzbar. It doesn't seem likely for any park to order them new these days (new with new cars I mean, I suppose they could continue to supply spares)!

As much as I love the bespoke chunkyness of the BPB PTC cars, the new ones are a bit too "Americanised" for comfort (which we'll all find out next year - I've sat in one but didn't try the belt, and the car stayed stationary!). Some people were hoping for new trains with buzzbars, but that'll never happen at BPB. The retired Grand National cars and Big Dipper cars were originally supplied with buzzbars, and BPB decided they needed bulking up in the 80s - there's no way they'd go back to loose-sitting style buzzbar cars! (shame, even though I prefer the chunky look, the looser ones ride better.. the brand new Nash cars are cramped, not suitable for medium-large people upwards.. grr modern times)

Grr me for going on about BPB and PTC again. Well if I'm "like Rainman" as Coasterforce's Carl Stratton drunkenly put it, but can't count spilt toothpicks and aren't too great with numbers, I need something to obsess about.

One day I'll make it to IAAPAyyyy. Ok, it'll be when all the coaster cars displayed are built like prison cells, there's not a hint of wood anywhere and there'll be some tower ride taking you to the moon, but I'll get there..