TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: PKD and SFA - 10.29-30.05

Well, we just got back from our last "regular season" trip of the year, and here are some quick thoughts.

- It is amazing how long people will wait to walk through a tent filled with smoke

- Canadians should be brought in to retrack everything!

- Hypersonic's launch is one bad mo-fo

- FoF is much better without the building and the brake

- I love Six Flags America! (Ya .. I said it!)

- Kings Quarters is overpriced and overrated

- Paramount woodies ain't what they used to be

- Steak is good food

- Getting to parks early is the key

- Hotel shuttles suck

- Why can't you ever get a hotel room the right temperature

- Happy Day's Diner has tasty burgers

- You can paint an SLC, but it is still ... an SLC

Now some pictures

It is always interesting when you find snow on your way to visit a park.

I would like to thank the random stranger for taking our picture, but they really have to do it from a different zipcode?

We stopped at Happy Days Diner for a quick bite early in the day. They have some very tasty burgers!

In a day when Kings Dominion was rebeling against using their switchbacks, this wait for FoF was only about 10 minutes.

Mmmmmm ... Volcano!

The temps on Saturday were pretty brisk, so here is Catrina in snow bunny mode posing with Scooby.

Later in the day we grabbed a ride on the Shockwave. Catrina didn't have any problem with this ride, but then again, she doesn't have a ....

Token Vertical Loop Photo

I give you the flat ride with the most rediculous footprint. Troika Troika Troika!

The ops were not exactly feeling speedy today as is demonstarted by this lovely "stacking" photo on Hurler.

Kudos to Paramount for running all the coasters. Even Hypersonic run flawlessly all day long.

Tis a shame that the big orange thing in the background of this photo did not run for either of my visits this year. Both times I have visited, it just sat empty.

Here is a sunset shot of Hypersonic. At the beginning of the day, you could get on it in about 20 minutes, but the wait jumped to somewhere around 2 hours as the FearFest crowds started to invade.

The crowds were starting to get really crazy so we left at around 7pm. This is the crowd that was waiting to enter as we were leaving.

Back at the hotel. No matter where we go, Catrina is always on the damn computer!

On our way back to WV, we stopped at Six Flags America. This would be our first visit to this particular park.

We haven't even got inside yet, and the park is already starting to impress. Horray for no-bag lines!

Bugs and the gang have thrown the big switch and now it's time to head back to Gothan City!

The first ride of the day will be Batwing. Not much different about this one from Borg or X-flight, but Catrina said that it was "Smoother than that Borg ride".

Next it is time for multiple rides on SM:ROS with no wait whatsoever. I love Six Flags America!

Next up was Jokers Jinx. Again with no waiting!

I love Six Flags America!

I love Six Flags America!

For an area of the park that should have been the busiest, Gotham City was a total ... Ghost Town.

One more shot of Joker's twisted layout before we leave Gotham City.

And a crappy shot of Superman's first drop.

Next up was a ride on the Wild One.

I don't know what it is that those crazy Canadians do when they retrack a coaster, but they need to do it to so many more. The Wild One tracked better than almost any coaster I have ever been on. It was fantastic!

Here is a shot of one of the the spiffy new signs placed in the station this year.

Catrina stops to pose with Yosemite Sam. This was as far as we made it into the Loonie Tunes section, as we didn't feel dirty enough to ride the kiddie coaster.

Note to Clair and Mike: Send Millenium Flyers to SFA immediately!

The Mind Eraser received a new paint job this year. Too bad that is still an SLC.

"Killing Brain Cells for over 10 Years!"

After riding all the coasters (sans kiddie) it was time to head back to the gate.

Six Flags was a great stop along the way and we effectively killed the park in 2hrs 45minutes. I love Six Flags America!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by CoasterFanatic

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ted, I'm thrilled you liked SFA! It seems everyone hates that park.

Your comments were dead on - especially about "my" ride, lol. You can dress an SLC up, but you can't take her out. Mind Eraser is incredibly turbulent. I would say Mind Eraser is tied with Top Gun for Roughest SLC. Then again, El Condor was pretty violent too!

I'm so glad you got to ride Wild One. I hope you rode in the front car. Those last two big hills will try to eject you. Where do you rank Wild One, Ted?

Great report!

-kip-

I'm so glad you got to ride Wild One. I hope you rode in the front car. Those last two big hills will try to eject you. Where do you rank Wild One, Ted?

We rode in 1.2 and it was awesome. After getting our bodies bashed on an insane Grizzley ride the night before, this was a perfect compliment.

I would probably rank (been on about 60 woodies) it around 11-12 for my woodies. I can't think of a 2 or 3 bench woodie that tracks anywhere near as good. The way it just rolls effortlessly reminds me alot of Kennywood's woodies.

Good job. You're right about those Fearfest crowds--freakin' huge! I was there with my friends Gary and Linda on Oct. 23, and the lines for the mazes were pretty long by about 6:00 pm. (I actually waited an hour for the Headless Hollow maze--didn't get in it until after the park had officially "closed.") If it hadn't been for Linda being in a wheelchair, I don't think we would've seen much of Fearfest that night (disabled folks are hustled to the front, but Headless Hollow can't accomodate wheelchairs). I posted a trip report myself if you're curious.

I've heard bad things about Six Flags America, but your pics make it look pretty good. Guess I'll have to see for myself. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Chuck "Still have yet to enter a Six Flags park" Campbell[/i]