TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Mt. Olympus, Mich Adventure, SFGA, SFGAdventure

pianojohn

Well, just got back from a week in NYC. The prior weekend I was in Chicago for a wedding, and I wanted to get as many coaster credits as possible.

I called Mt Olympus a few times before my weekend to make sure they would be open. I arrived in Chicago on Friday September 17th about 11am. As I was getting my rental car, I called Mt Olympus again JUST to make sure they were open. I also asked if the coasters were running. The woman on the phone replied "yes."

After 3+ hours of driving, I arrived in the Dells. MAN, they sure like their water parks! I was amazed at how big these water park resorts were. Maybe another trip up here will be in order some day!

I got to Mt Olympus and was one of about 20 cars in the parking lot. Sweet! Not to mention the weather was PERFECT, about 70 and sunny!

I parked right by Hades tunnel and walked to the front gate. SURPRISE! The sign at the ticket booth said that all of the coasters EXCEPT for Hades would be closed today. Hmm...I was PISSED! Of course, there was no one at Guest Relations or even a Guest Relations area at all. I paid $35 and basically got to ride Hades and that's it!!

Now, in hindsight, I would have been more pissed if all of the coasters EXCEPT Hades were running, but still! Arrgghhh~

However, Hades was AWESOME! The first ride was really terrifying since you hit that tunnel SO fast and then it's pitch black and about 20 degrees colder since you are underground and surrounded by concrete. The speed and pacing were amazing, and even after 5 rides, I was still blown away.

But 1 out of 6 coasters running? Come on!

Drove back to Chicago then farther south to Indiana. Got some sleep.

Woke up early Saturday to drive to Michigan's Adventure. The park was very nice, small but clean and well run. I was impressed with the Wolverine Wildcat. Compact but well run and pretty fun!

Shivering Timbers....hmm. I liked it. It was fun, fast, pretty to look at, but I just didn't get the air time that people rave about. I rode it 4 times, in the front. middle, and back, so not sure why it just didn't blow me away.

Sunday morning headed up to Six Flags Great America. Luckily I got there early since it was some huge picnic day and Season Passholders got to bring a friend for free.

I did a quick loop of the park and got all of the credits I needed except for the spinning wild mouse (Rajun Cajun I think is the name). In a nutshell:

American Eagle was HORRIBLE. It was only running backwards.

Viper was a pleasant surprise. Lots of speed and fun.

Raging Bull: not bad, but still not as fun as Apollo's Chariot or NITRO in my humble opinion!

And FINALLY got my Deja Vu credit. Waited an hour, it broke down, and then reopened. I will NEVER have to ride it again.

Drove to Chicago, flew to NYC, worked all week, then last Saturday, made it to Six Flags Great Adventure. The park was not too crowded for a Saturday, and luckily we got there early.

Did the mad dash to Kingda Ka, rode it once, then headed to Superman. Got that credit then hit the rest of the park. Kingda Ka was pretty well run, and the double loading station seemed to keep the line moving. As for the ride itself, I felt that TTD was more fun and seemed faster with the alternating red and white track. And the final speed bump/hill didn't really do anything. By the time you reach the top of it, you are hitting the brake run and slowing down.

Well, enjoy the pics. I am off to Virginia for the next 3 months to music direct two shows. Hopefully I will make it to BGW once or twice!

PS I added some more photos...enjoy!

Credit2.jpg.a411336f97ab6229c50e8de6b23975e3.jpg

Get me off this thing! Less leg room than flying coach!

Credit.jpg.4d7724b216d5b6e187691d99c99473e7.jpg

Yes, I am a credit whore and the biggest person on this kiddie coaster!

Superman.jpg.84c5afc559687b2b8779c71905091a41.jpg

Waiting on the brake run..and waiting...and waiting. TEN minutes of hanging around!

KingdaKa.jpg.3a054bd66a4dd45dceb83e05d0a37ee3.jpg

After my ride on Kingda Ka. Check out the girl behind me!

DejaVu.thumb.jpg.ed2529fc09aef4e623897fca5374a207.jpg

Me, after waiting in line for an hour, and it breaks down. DAMN YOU VEKOMA!! Damn you to hell!!

Bandit.jpg.7fc96f08e341699b099e7d4f426a5578.jpg

Best t-shirt EVER...and yes, the man had ONE arm. And apparently a sense of humor!

RagingBull.jpg.a4d3003ba9096790392530bfa0306ba2.jpg

My artsy shot....from the queue line of VIPER.

Hades2.jpg.30c415c7ca42981d0c202710b3fc50e0.jpg

View from the first hill...check out the empty parking lot!!

Hades1.jpg.1ed4d6cee572f3a26ae238d7b063e485.jpg

Hades ROCKS!

2137500572_NYCView.jpg.69ef688c45cf0944c5e3a12fd9f2b865.jpg

Not a coaster, but this is the view from the apartment I stayed in in Brooklyn Heights.

Hades3.jpg.d8f9689becd3eec9ed6b2d1a0a601ed2.jpg

The view into the 2nd tunnel...cool!

Medusa.jpg.79036571e862e8cde570a6a9d8682b08.jpg

Medusa from the Safari...note the monkey sign!

Batman.jpg.47e4aaa1d52c8666a5ea49f373b216e6.jpg

The first ever Batman

DejaVu2.jpg.c3b26388ec2b20a9c7ff91c61d1a7770.jpg

DejaVu running! Quick...get a picture!

STimbers.jpg.4a0755d74b1ecf477ff218d8520994d7.jpg

Shivering Timbers from the parking lot.

WWildcat.jpg.6709e7f09c4ac86779ccbab5f36f68de.jpg

Wolverine Wildcat at Michigan's Adventure

Edited by pianojohn

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey John! Great pics! Agreed that Hades is a blast! I only hope that Voyage is just as good. It's a bummer about the rest of the coasters. I mean, Zeus and Pegasus are nothing to write home about, but Cyclops is really great. Oh well, gives you another excuse to go back, right?

Also intersting to hear about your reports on Shivering Timbers. See, this is EXACTLY what I think of the ride too, but for some reason it always seems that when all the enthusaists get together at an event, it's a totaly different ride. I don't quite buy it. It's a good ride, but I don't think it's everything people have made it out to be. At least not from the rides I've had on it.

I've heard the same reports about KK. I wasn't a big fan of TTD and there isn't anything I've heard about KK that's drove us to ride it this year. Now the new woodie, OMG if it's anything like Balder, we're there next year!

Really nice pics...do you have any more?

--Robb "Too bad we'll miss you in Orlando next month" Alvey

Have a nice stay in Virginia over the next three months! It would have been nice that you could have joined us for the Orlando TPR meet, but there is always next year. Nice Photo: TR. Is the kiddie coaster another Willie Coyote Canyon Blaster coaster (like SFoG's)? It looks like it is.

Wow yeah I would have been bitter if Hades was the only thing open and I hadn't ridden anything else in the park, but like you, I'd rather have Hades open than all the others. Hades rules!

And lol to the guys shirt...I still think the shirt I saw at CP last weekend was better though -- it was a girl in a wheelchair that had a neon pink shirt which read "SEX ON WHEELS". Hilarious!

Joe "great TR!" C.