TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFMM Photo TR 8-9-05

Howdy all! I just went to SFMM today, and thought I would make a trip report out of it! It was a LONG day, there fore a LONG trip report. I also took photos of the ‘coaster construction’, but that will be in its appropriate thread). Also, the park is shaping up a bit. Just a little. So without further adieu:

Six Flags Magic Mountain: Part 1

Well, we (myself, and my two friends, TJ and Scott) showed up a bit late to the park as it was, so we went right in. Judging by the opening crowds, it didn’t seem like the day would be too crowded. We cut through Revolution’s exit, as we so traditionally do, and headed straight to Dejavu.

The sign, because my camera takes crappy coaster shots!

Dejavu

I find it best to skip X and Viper, and head straight for the back coasters first. We had zero, zip, nada wait for the front seats on Dejavu. It was a great way to wake up as usual! I also find it weird that two of my friends were Op’ing! Doesn’t make me feel much better.

After Dejavu, it was off, up the mountain, while it was still cool out. For those who have not been following the news, SFMM is doing major preparation work for their next coaster, and the only way to get on the mountain (go to Superman or Ninja), is by way of that STEEP/windy path, on the Riddler’s Revenge side. We got to the top, and decided to ride Superman.

Superman: The Escape

This is another one of those rides I find BEST to hit FIRST. It won’t be worth it later on. When we got out of the searing heat into the SUPER COLD station, we were all relaxed. And then I noticed something…the station music was playing! This is just one of the small details of improvements in the park, that I have found since last week! First a new car, and now this! Wow! Now they are just going out of their way!…lol.

The Ride Op’s were also exceptionally friendly, and let us ride three times, before we decided to leave. While they checked our restraints, they chatted with us riders in the vehicle, about how Superman looks like Elvis Presley. I didn’t see the resemblance:

After Superman, we went further up the mountain to get shots of the “roller coaster construction”. Then we went to Ninja. Ninja broke down when we got in the station, and went back up a few minutes after we left the station! I knew that would happen! Well, long story short, we headed back down the mountain.

We saw Goldrusher, and I couldn’t resist.

Goldrusher

This whole summer, I have found that the Goldrusher Crew is the most friendly of ALL the SFMM Crews…even if they no longer have a randomly distributed “friendliest crew of the week” banner. They were singing and dancing in the station! Its this kind of friendliness that I have noticed recently at SFMM…another plus! Want another improvement? There was less gum on the track next to the lift than normal!

Hey! That’s less than there normally is! And since we haven’t had rains here, that means someone cleaned it off!

The ride on Goldrusher was as good as always (I love that ride…its so hand-made/out of control…I love it!), so we decided to go to Riddler’s.

The Riddler’s Revenge

I had not been on Riddler’s for awhile, as it is one of the few rides that remains to retain a long line! So I was glad to get to it. The line was a two train wait in the station.

Since I have a crappy camera, I was quite lucky to get this shot

You know, I enjoyed the ride, but I simply don’t find it as entertaining as it used to. It seems as if they were going so much for a “cool” look, that the elements are linked with long straight-aways. Also, I came off feeling disoriented and with a strain in my legs…but then again, I’m getting out of shape!

After Riddler’s we decided to get some Fresher’s Frozen Lemonade. I HIGHLY recommend this on a hot day.

We went to the stall by the Magic Moments Theatre. (Jahan’s money saving tip: Use a souvineer cup. It is two bucks cheaper, and gets you 50% more. HOWEVER, open the cap, and use one of the small straws that come at the stand. You will make it go MUCH farther, and get more flavor out of it). I personally love the frozen lemonade to cool me down.

After taking a break for some Lemonade, we decided to go to Goliath. What I saw bummed me out…

…that’s right. A blue shirt standing at the entrance. We knew what that meant…BREAK DOWN!

So, we decided to go on Buccaneer, the swinging ship.

Scott wanted to sit by himself…loner

It has a special kind of airtime…you guys know what I mean .

After that it was off to Granny Gran Prix. We always end up riding this ride (a slow moving car ride…think a slow Autopia, where you can only steer)

Me riding Granny Gran Prix…I need some sleep…and a shave.

The trip report will continue in the next post!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Six Flags Magic Mountain: Part 2

Well, this part is WAY more photo oriented.

After Granny Gran Prix, we decided to make our way further around the park. We arrived at Yosemite Sam Sierra Falls. The Falls is a Hurricane Harbor, tube-like ride that you can ride in your clothes.

I distinctly said as we approached it, “This ride is like a hidden jewel in the park. It is loads of fun, but due to its location, nobody ever goes to it!”

…It wasn’t long after I said that, that I found the line was too long, and we decided not to ride…lol.

We made our way around the park, all the way back to the entrance. We saw that Mr. Six thing up, so Scott hugged it, like his friends in the past:

Then we found the Grand Carrousel, the merry-go-round. We rode that, and then headed up for Viper. It was almost 1 o’clock, and Viper’s line looked like this:

I hadn’t seen the line out the front sign in ages! I decided I wanted to get some video footage, so I sent the guys off to Tidal Wave, and said I would meet back up with them later.

None of the footage ended up coming out. On the way, I ended up seeing Dejavu’s line in the over flow…

…that had to be a 1.5-2 hour wait! To think we got the front row with NO wait! I made my way over to Tidal Wave. TJ and Scott had already boarded, so I just watched. I saw they were using MY technique. On a hot day, wait for the very back row, and actually sick your head out the side of the boat, like so (back row):

MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES! As you can tell, the dispersed wave soaked them, while everyone else on the boat was sprinkled with water (the two on the sides):

After Tidal Wave, it was BACK around the park again, to see if Goliath had opened. It had not. (And Granny Gran Prix had a LONG line:

So we made our way over to the Grand Carrousel again. Scott didn’t ride, as he didn’t want to put his shirt back on (loser!). So we rode twice…lol. After that, we decided to ride Revolution.

Revolution

Revolution is desperately in need of new train! Those restrains are WAY too unnecessary, restricting, and end up making for a slightly painful ride. I think brining back rolling stock design with just a lap-bar would be an interesting draw to this ride, which nears 35 years old!

Revolution got picked for the “friendliest crew of the weak”…Goldrusher was better!

TJ looking for the “roller coaster construction”.

Then it was lunch time!:

What part of the chicken is that?

The final part of the TR is next!

Six Flags Magic Mountain: Part 3

Well, this is the final installment of the Trip Report and it is all pictures!

All pictures you ask? Yup, I say…we really didn’t do anything else worthy of the extensive TR format!

Ninja has furthered its “HI-YA!”-dispatch campaign…lol

Scott (being a single rider) rode with a girl, which he fell in love with, and decided to ride Spin Out with

Oh no! A new roller coaster on Goldrusher!

TJ is blown away by a ride on Canyon Blaster

The middle fountain is crooked…lol

Scott…he sad because we ditched him for Canyon Blaster

The TV’s in the Batman Shop are ACTUALLY once again playing BATMAN…CRAP!

The Batman show lights are ACTUALLY on again!

And pointing to nothing

Other improvements I noticed:

-The themed land music has returned in the Pirates Cove, Gotham City Backlot, and Colossus County Fair.

-The station music has returned to Batman: The Ride and Superman: The Escape.

-This is just a guess, but it would appear that the ride Op’s have been given permission to “personalize” and “decorate” the station. Along with the “Hi-Ya” sign at ninja, the Goldrusher Op’s have also made several collage posters of their singing and dancing Op crew at work! If minimum wage teenagers go out of their way to decorate, it shows that they care somewhat!

-The ride ops are much nicer now, and a lot of them are now, once again ( ) giving the safety spiels and such.

-I personally noticed less gum.

So who knows…this MIGHT be a step in the right direction, for all we know.

Goodnight, and thanks for reading my report!

Heh, sounds like you had fun........I too have wondered what part of the chicken that lump was, heck of a lot better than the grease-burgers.......arf:

I guess I just never picked up on it, but when did you go? Remember how you'd only ride Dive if it was free? That can always be arranged......if you show up on a day I'm at the park.

^ Nice shot of the Sky Tower with the crescent moon over it!

And nice report overall! Going to SFMM during the week in the summer is the best time because there's no one there. It's too bad they aren't open daily through October and from mid-March like they were in the mid-to-late '90s.

That one shot taken from Revolution...what's that horribly rusted thing? If that's part of the ride, that's scary.

Notice that the track in Gold Rusher's station is red. That was the original paint color of the entire track during the park's first year (1971). For whatver reason, while they've repainted the ride a couple of times, they have yet to repaint the station track. I'm not sure why.

Eric

Six Flags Great America's staff has never been bad, but they've gotten a lot better! They're just as efficient as before, but they add in more fun to the job, by giving different spiels, before and after the automatic ones, and just having more fun. It seems like Six Flags is in a turnaround!