TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: PKI, Wyandot, CP, SFKK, HW, Lake Winnie, SFOG

WOW! Road trip!

I finished my show in Roanoke, VA on Sunday July 10th and began the road trip to Ohio to see the family and then back home to Orlando. After 6.5 hours of driving, I arrived in Mason, OH, got some sleep, and headed to PKI on Monday.

I had not been to the park since 2000 so I was anxious to ride the new stuff, esp Italian Job. I met at the ACE logo on International Street, met two other ACEer's from New Jersey, and awaited the arrival of the PR rep.

At about 9:30, Beth showed up and informed us that both Italian Job and the Beast were not ready for early rides. So, we opted for Son of Beast instead.

The ride was better than I remembered, but still pretty rough. And those CARS! I had to cross my ankles to fit my legs inside, and I am not that tall. The ride op even told me that there was not a lot of leg room. Can you say BAD design?

Anyway, finsihed that and started collecting credits. Did Flight of Fear (eh) and Runwaway Reptar (eh again) then headed for the Beast. Man, was I disappointed. First, there was NO line at all. This usually would be a good thing, but every time I had ridden the Beast in the past, there was always a crowd.

Then I rode it and I knew why there was no line: the ride was terrible. VERY rough, very bumpy, and very uneven with the multiple trim brakes throughout the ride.

Finally got on Italian Job in about 30 minutes. Not a bad ride, but very low capacity with only three trains and 12 people per train. The drop into the tunnel after the helicopter scene was cool, but that's about it.

Decided I had enough and started my drive home to Cleveland. Stopped off at Wynadot for the Sea Dragon credit. What a fun little coaster! It ran great, the ride ops were awesome, and it was smooth!

Cedar Point was up for Wednesday July 12th. Got there early and did TTD (awesome) and Millenium Force. The line was about 1/2 hour all day! Did a few more rides, got soaked in the rain, and headed home. Since I worked at CP for 5 years, I didn't feel the need to spend all day there. But the park looked great, the rides ran (except for Wicked Twister) and I had an awesome time.

Friday was the start of road trip day. Left Cleveland at 5am and pulled into Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom about 10:45am. The gates opened at 11, and by 12, I had ridden every coaster at the park! The park was that dead!

The rides were ok, nothing spectacular. Chang was cool but very faded. Thunder Run was awful and Twisted Twins was actually a lot of fun. Did Greezed Lightnin' twice 'cuz it was cool, and headed out!

I was on my way to Holiday World since it is only about an hour west of Louisville. What I didn't know is that there was a time change, so I got an extra hour of fun at the park!

I LOVED HOLIDAY WORLD! I had heard and read so much about the park online, but I ws not prepared for how great it was. Everyone working there had the best attitude, and the servcie and efficiency were top notch. Also, the pizza was great! Almost as good as Knoebels!

Now, I may be in the minority here, but I preferred the Legend to the Raven. Both coasters were great, but the Legend really surprised me! I loved how smooth they were and how courteous the ride ops were. It was a real pleasure to see people who enjoyed their jobs!

The water park was awesome and I did my first Tornado (Zinga) which I LOVED! Add to that the free soft drinks, small crowd, and perfect weather, and I didn't want to leave! I will definately be back next year for The Voyage! Thanks Holiday World!

Drove south to Nashville to get a hotel room but was told everything was sold out due to a Nascar race. Ended up driving another hour south and finally found somewhere to sleep!

Saturday morning drove to Rossvill, GA and Lake Winnie. Got there right at 10am to beat the crowds.HOWEVER, had a situation at the park that still ticks me off.

At 10, I made my way back to the Cannonball and enjoyed several wonderful rides. After exiting the coaster, I went on the Paratrooper since most parks do not have them anymore. I finished the ride and was taking another picture of the Cannonball from the exit area and across the field.

It was then that I was approached by one of the security guards who asked me what I was doing. I was somewhat taken aback by his question since it was obvious I was taking a picture of the coaster.

He then asked, “Are you taking pictures of family or friends?” I obviously was not since I was alone, there was no one around me, and I had just taken a picture of the Cannonball. “No,” I replied. I then told him that I am a coaster enthusiast and I take pictures of coasters and parks.

He paused and then told me that the park really doesn’t allow that. I was shocked! I asked him what he meant by that, and he said “Well, people take pictures of LOTS of things these days, if you know what I mean.”

I then realized what he meant and I was DEEPLY offended and insulted at his insinuation. How DARE he make such an accusation and offend a park guest in such a way.

Has anyone EVER has something like this happen to them? I have already written the park, but I wanted to let you all know what happened to me.

ANYWAY, left there and headed to Atlanta and SFOG. I know....a Saturday, 90 degrees out, and you are headed to SFOG! Well, I had my season's pass, so all I was paying was parking.

The park was PACKED, and after an hour, I left! Deja Vu WAS running, but the line was about 2 hours long. I will just have to get that credit some other time.

Drove home on Monday and stopped at Wild Adventures. Cheetah is running HORRIBLE, with major whiplash over the 2nd hill. I did get two rides on Screamin' Swing and loved it!

Anyway, here are the pics!

Winnie2.jpg.c74df07abfd4526caa804eb8f07ed976.jpg

The kiddie coaster at Lake Winnie. The ride op was cool and took my pic!

Winnie.jpg.9efd3616fdc88a76da4b143ca302938b.jpg

The Cannonball from the front seat.

Legend.jpg.7da5832d80937be1277812ff2b8765c4.jpg

The Legend's first drop. Ah...what a great ride!

CP.jpg.18b6569484e837d0e0edc263d952d981.jpg

MaxAir from the parking lot.

CP2.jpg.6dea861a8a51b3168b8b612896484294.jpg

MaxAir from...MaxAir!

SFKK.jpg.a120b134d250380cccb1ae87004b6c94.jpg

Greezed Lightnin' headed up the spike.

EmptyBeast.jpg.71f579a9b25d27c7bcbc7409f48e9f47.jpg

The empty Beast station...sad.

Clowns.jpg.010d3ac49114407e44753c104472a888.jpg

Two clowns at Wyandot Lake. When I asked them for a pic, they turned into mimes! Scary!

IJ.jpg.4a99e4b2d7943231a21b99f014668dd5.jpg

The splash down at the end of Italian Job. Kind of cool, but no Sheikra!!

Beast.jpg.54f09a6d3f2710e78385157ad10680ac.jpg

From the front...still one of my all time favorite views!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great trip report, do you think the line for DeJa Vu is always that long, or do you think they exaggerate it some? Because everytime its been open they always have the 2 hour long sign out. Oh well, sounds like you had a great time.

Robb was harassed one time at SFMM for his lipstick camera...the guy didn't believe he was going to film coasters with it...he thought he would be videotaping 'something else'. Robb finally shut the guy up by saying:

"Look around here...do you see anyone wearing skirts? Would you like to see the tape, it's coaster footage!"

Elissa "stupid security!" Alvey

Robb was harassed one time at SFMM for his lipstick camera...the guy didn't believe he was going to film coasters with it...he thought he would be videotaping 'something else'. Robb finally shut the guy up by saying:

"Look around here...do you see anyone wearing skirts? Would you like to see the tape, it's coaster footage!"

Elissa "stupid security!" Alvey

Thanks Elissa! I guess there are stupid people everywhere!

You have family here in Mason??? Cool!

I sadly have to agree with you about the Beast. I rode it about a month ago for the first time since late last summer. It just about killed me. By the final helix I was literally gripping my head for fear of injury, which sounds totally lame, but that is just how rough it was. It broke my heart I honestly thought it was me, getting old. Glad to know it's not!

Going to Holiday World myself this week. I am relieved to know their coasters are smoother as my Beast experience had me a bit leery.

Shari "great TR" Shoufler

Wow my reaction to SOB and Beast were the opposite to yours! SOB beat the living hell out of me (I had to leave the park because of the massive headache I had) and the Beast was really smooth (although it lacked a little bit force wise). Yeah being at PKI all alone kinda sucked as I had NOBODY to talk to so iI got bored really quick. Glad to see you had fun and if you ever do a trip like that again, give me a hollar!

Colin C