TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Dollywood June 20, 2005

Started off on my adventure to Dollywood at 4:30pm Sunday, heading out from Roanoke, Virginia. A fun-filled 4 hour drive later and I was pulling into the tourist trap mecca of Pigeon Forge, TN! I had never seen so many tacky shops and eateries in one place, and I live in Orlando!

Monday morning I was off to the park. I was really impressed with how rural it feels, even the 2 lane road that takes you to the parking lots. After paying $6 to park (NOT $10 Six Flags!!) I got a close spot and walked up to the gates. The park reminded me a lot of Opryland with the beautiful natural surroundings, many shops and eateries, and general laid back feeling.

There were no crowds to speak of at the beginning of the day, and this made for many re-rides! Oh yeah!

Thunderhead was first. I had heard a lot about it, and a good friend raved about it last year. Well, it did NOT disappoint! This coaster is AWESOME! It reminded me a lot of the old Idora Wildcat in that it kept getting better and faster towards the end of the ride.

The cars were comfy, the ride attendants were VERY efficient and courteous, and the coaster was just plain FUN! Why isn't there a THUNDERHEAD in every park in the country? It fits in a small space, it runs great, it loooks great...and yet, this is the only installation so far. I would think every small-medium sized park would kill for a ride like this!

Hmm....maybe GCC can re-track Gwazi, put on these Millenium Flyer trains, and save that coaster! For me, it is the best woodedn coaster I have ever ridden.

Anyway, I then headed out to do the Tennessess Tornado. On the way, I mistakenly did a water ride where I got soaked. They did warn me, but I thought, nah not me! Did Blazing Fury (and thought WTF!) as well as the log ride.

Anyway, the Arrow monster was next. I honestly had not heard a lot about it, and all I knew is that it had some different elements. Man, was I blown away! The coaster was smooth (for an Arrow), and the transitions between elements were great. The whole ride was fast, furious, and for me, unpredictable.

I took my first ride in the back so I would not know what was coming next. That drop into the tunnel and "iron butterfly" blew me away! I felt like I was hanging upside down for 5 seconds. What a great ride!

The remainder of my day was spent walking around and taking in the sites. My only complaint (and this is really nit-picking) is that the park's two best coasters are worlds apart in walking distance. It would be great to get another coaster or two between these two.

The County Fair section is beautiful, very well themed, and CROWDED! I guess since the area is new, but also, the pathways could be about twice as wide. Or maybe the people could be half as big! Honestly, there were more wheelchairs than people it seemed, and these were mainly for people who....how shall I put this, NEED to walk a mile or two. Also, the lines at all restaurants were out the door, and the buffet restaurants were even worse! C'mon people!!

Anyway, had a great time and cannot wait to return. Thanks Dolly!!!

Next week: King's Dominion...wish me luck!!!

PS Anyone know if Hypersonic is running??

SSCN0473.JPG.2e03be5461b04e109a8c6da73735880a.JPG

Ah Tennesse Tornado. Thanks for the unexpected thrill!

SSCN0475.JPG.c2d57359ec3e81ce0454e3860af6c4be.JPG

The station fly thru on Thuderhead. I think it sounded better than it turned out. Not bad, just boring.

SSCN0474.JPG.3dba7e3b4018494d15836f0730696242.JPG

Not sure who this is...but I HAD to get a picture with her.

SSCN0476.JPG.9510b56e28824d73f5b78154e35af6ec.JPG

At the front gate...Hello Dolly!!

SSCN0477.JPG.62af29dc8148913579af3b7eee00a02d.JPG

The sky flyer. It looked better than it flew. Flying Scooters it is not.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images