TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Cypress Gardens

Cypress Gardens

June 17/19, 2005

On Thursday, I realized I had the day off on Friday with no plans. Orginally, I was suppose to attend Universal with my friend from work, but she had gone for the weekend back to the Virgin Islands. So, in my slow thought process, I decided to venture to Cypress Gardens!

I realized that it wouldn’t take me all day to venture through the park, so I decided to sleep in, so I did until 12:30. How delightful!

I head out by 1:30 and get to the park around 2:30. I hit some traffic on I-4 and a small rain shower.

When I arrive at the park, I buy my ticket, with my AAA discount, making it $33 and change. Parking was $7. I immediately head to the rides area, of course. The first thing I encounter is construction on the new spinning coaster, Galaxy Spin. I meant to take a picture, but alas, I forgot. Sorry kids. All the track was there, that was about it. No footers, no nothing. Its being built right next to the Okeechobee Rampage coaster, which was the first one I rode.

I went straight for the back seat, but I wasn’t expecting anything exciting. It was pleasant and relaxing. Immediately after, I headed back for the Triple Hurricane, the wooden coaster. Once again, I wasn’t expecting much thrills, but I decided if there was any to be had, it would be in the back. I was surprised, there was the feeling of airtime in the back, but didn’t occur, until the last hill! It was a great surprise. Loved it.

From there, I ventured to the other rides, and saw a ride known as the Mega Bounce. It looked like fun, so I got in line. Yeah, it was definitely the opposite of fun. I could feel my spine getting bounced each time. That was the final time I’ll ever ride one of those again. Who created such a beast?! Terrorists. I bolted for a ride I had been looking forward to, the Disk-O.

I LOVED the Disk-O. Its not the most thrilling ride but it was definitely enjoyable. It was a quite a change for the flat rides I ride at Disney or Kings Dominion. It was good times! I don’t know how I feel about the restraint system though. The ride-op told us to lean back and put our weight against the backbar. I didn’t find the comfortable once the ride started to spin, so I sat forward with my weight on the front thing. That ride up wanted me to force an enjoyable ride instead of just sitting and enjoy it.

From there, I went over to their tower ride, Thunderbolt. Its been awhile since I’ve rode a drop tower. I’d say the last time was at the end of last season at Kings Dominion. I got a very slight nervousness buildup, but it didn’t last once we fell. The brakes it hard, much harder than Drop Zone, but it was still enjoyable.

It was then time to head to the last section of the park. I first hit Pharaoh’s Fury, which was a swinging ship. I went with the back row of course, which had some nice floater action.

Then I ventured over to Power Surge, the Zamperla ride. It was good times! I’ve never rode one before and it was crazy. I wish the restraints were more padded though, because my body was getting thrown around inside of the restraints. It was crazy. I sat in my own car, and I noticed that near the end of the ride, I had to upright my car so it would lock straight, instead of lopsided on my side.

At this point, Swamp Thing wasn’t running, so I hit up Disk-O a few more times as well as Inverter, which I love them! The best seats are in the front, but they loaded us from the middle out, sadly.

After I had done most the rides, I ventured into some of the gardens. The entrance was right near the Ski Stunt Show and I LOVED it inside there. I found a nice bench near the lake that just had an awesome breeze and was very relaxing. I think I sat there for 30 minutes just thinking about random thoughts and about how nice the area was. They started the stunt show so I watched part of it from there, until I realized I couldn’t really see anything good. I ventured through the rest of the garden, which was fantastic.

I returned to the area and got a milkshake, which was delightful. Rode more Disk-O and Power Surge. Eventually Swamp Thing opened, which was boring and painful. Well, it was a credit. I ventured back for more Triple Hurricane rides as well as riding their Storm Surge, spinning raft ride. It was grand since I never did one before.

I explored another garden, which was pretty crappy compared to the first place. I went to Guest Services to get a free 2nd day ticket for the next six days. I also had a complaint. When I was on the Disk-O, a little girl wanted to ride, so the operator (standing on the disk) tells her to stand near the height pole and clears her. She was DEFINITELY too short to ride. Then the op explains his method of riding by leaning back. This is a tiny girl that can’t even put her feet on the floor. During the ride, she was complaining how she can’t hold the bar back any further. The op almost hurt this poor girl, so I complained that they needed to check heights more actively.

I rode the sky wheel thing, which went up 150 feet. It was very nice up there, and finally left the park around 7:30. It was a nice relaxing day.

Today I worked 8-2:45 at the Living Seas. I had thought of going back to Cypress after work, since I had that free ticket that expired on Thursday. So, I decided to go. I enlisted the company of my friend Carrie from work as well!

We arrived at the park around 5. We hit the sky wheel first. Then she was ready for some rides, so we did Okeechobee Rampage, Storm Surge, Triple Hurricane, and the other water ride, Wave Runner. She got soaked, I didn’t. Muhaha. I had to ride the Fiesta Express for the credit! It wasn't open on Friday! Then we did the crappy flyers, which didn’t fly. Then the Inverter, which she enjoyed. I couldn’t wait to do Disk-O again, which she also enjoyed. We did her favorite next, Thunderbolt aka Penis Tower. We did that three times. She was too large to ride Power Surge or Swamp Thing, which is okay. We did some more Disk-O, Pharoah’s Fury, Thunderbolt, Triple Hurricane, and Storm Surge. We also did the Tilt-A-Whirl which lasted FOREVER and we both jus wanted it to end. We finished the day on the Sky wheel again. It was a nice evening for four hours! She really loved the place. Her face hurt from laughing too much.

Overall, great park. Definitely nice to escape the rush of the Disney crowds. I can’t wait to hit up Busch Gardens and Universal!

Here are some links to some pictures that wouldn't fit as file attachments I don't know how to resize. If you want to see the full size versions, click at the bottom of the page "View Full Size." Some are VERY big.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/374142140/374142898kdGMMv Picture of the Okeechobee Rampage

http://community.webshots.com/photo/374143014/374143014sjSGHn Big overall picture, yet blurry

http://community.webshots.com/photo/374143449/374143449BCFoqG Bamboo Tree

http://community.webshots.com/photo/374143835/374143835MVBPOG Banana Tree

http://community.webshots.com/photo/374144112/374144112OPNBYs Buddha also resides at Cypress Gardens

http://community.webshots.com/photo/374144287/374144287FbnsTy Picture of the lake from the Sky Wheel

http://community.webshots.com/photo/374144577/374144577VshgwG Version 2 of "elaborate" Cypress Fountains (aka the hose)

There ya go! I would've took more pictures but I'm still getting used to my new camera and I need a bigger card size! Feel free to use the pictures of you'd like. Meh! THANKIES

Jeremy

IMG_0158.JPG.b8e513f625b1aa55443789bbf377fc07.JPG

Myself on the Fiesta Express...consider it a credit!!!

809832737_DiskoandPenisTower.JPG.3e68f81080807f0a85234a18295f8cfa.JPG

Disk-O and Penis Tower!

1500332537_TripleHurricane.JPG.bfcfddfbb2e34f534f9a474e464bc5ba.JPG

Yeah, bad picture of the Hurricane. Meh.

21599647_SwampThing.JPG.b197f4b8864fc5028beb37868a3d1e38.JPG

Swamp Thing: It came from Vekomaaaa!

2021460061_PowerSurge.JPG.6c9127d675c3248957d1856b3e34c847.JPG

Power Surge!!!

1795276079_Overall2.JPG.85a69850d8d91b919f5f1b81058a9b30.JPG

Another view, mostly the same

94058774_Overall1.JPG.8d6037db2edd40cbd47020912d18dc5b.JPG

A look of the rides section from the Sky Wheel

Disk-O.JPG.3873ee950e46b105c7d78fd69fea3dd4.JPG

The awesome Disk-O!!!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent write up! Glad you liked the park! I really like Cypress Gardens too. Here's a bunch of photos.

(BTW, it's a Banyan tree, not a Banana tree.) The thing is probably 100 years old. :shock:

Here's a shot of the Galaxy Spin parts.

More photos of it can be found here.

BTW, which was the gardens you didn't think were so great? Are you talking about Plantation Gardens?