The Official "TPR In Europe" Ongoing TR Thread.

Daily reports and photos from our trip!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:37 pm

I wonder if any of the "self serve" rides are cost effective enough for a back yard mini-park. The Naudic Jet would be a star attraction. :)

Sanity is Overrated

Postby Shadowforce » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:41 pm

Owww, why did they have to remove those dueling Naudic Jets at Bonbon-Land? Ok, I guess a swinging ship is a fair trade-off, but anyway! :x

Oh, this might be late, but sorry for not joining you at BonBon-Land as promised. What can I say? I can't chose when sickness strikes. :(

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby djrappa » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:30 pm

The jumping boat ride is AWESOME!! Damn public liability...

unlimited budget downunder

Still trying to get over that from a few pages ago. Too funny for words!!

Not quite :) We only wish.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Rob562 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:50 pm

First post! (After being a long-time lurker...)

Looks like the European parks are a ton of fun. I can't imagine what my hyperactive friends would do if they were let loose...
My co-workers couldn't believe the "Bodily Functions" park...

(And am I the only one that thinks Joey looks like he's having the s*** scared out of him on that boat jump? :wink:

-Rob S.

Site Admin

Re: Crazy Obstacle Course

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:01 pm

Noobitizer wrote:1st post! lol. Anyhow, in day 10 you guys did that Survival Course at Toverland, and you said it would never be allowed in America? Well im here to prove you wrong. About 2 years back when I was still in High School, ROTC used to take a 1 week "Boot Camp" up in Lost Valley, Ca. Its about a 2 hour drive in bum frikken no where outside of Corona. Within the camp there is a course just like that but with a zip-line at the end going down a like 80 foot hill. Of course we had to do it Military style i.e cant use harness for support and push ups. It was really fun. Have a good time out there.

Gee, thank you for "proving us wrong" :roll:

Now let me explain what I meant since it wasn't obvious enough. This wouldn't be allowed in America IN A THEME PARK.

Of course there are things like this in America, just NOT IN A THEME PARK!

--Robb "Hates having to re-explain myself." Alvey

Not Everyone In Germany Wears Lederhosen and Eats Sauerkraut

Postby Hattuchili » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:17 pm

robbalvey wrote:Ok, I just had to merge Soren's Photo DR into this thread! It was just too damn funny for it to be in the random thread especially with Dan & Joey and the German chicks!

If you haven't seen it, scroll up and take a look! It's great!!!

--Robb "Thanks for trying to hook the boys up, Soren...too bad they didn't score!" Alvey :wink:

Thanks Robb,
for merge my post in this thread!
It was so much fun at that evening! It was great to see what Dan and Joey would do, or not would do with the girls! Joey was smiling the whole time, everyone can see that at the picture, with him and the chick! She looks a little bit like: "Grrr, I want you for tonight..."! :wink: However, all in all a great evening with you guys!

--Sören
--> from good old Germany and back in Orlando!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:22 pm

Yes! The photos of Dan, Joey and the girls are hilarious! I especially like this one of Joey being attacked by the cleavage!

If you haven't seen the photos yet, they are a couple of pages back:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... &start=280

--Robb

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Watson » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:38 pm

Nautic Jets are popular attractions in Germany although you can also find them in France or the Netherlands.
Try visiting Freizeit-Land Geiselwind in Germany.
I believe they have 4 or even 6 of these alongside each other.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby zilliboy » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:42 pm

that boatjump is crazy

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:43 am

robbalvey wrote:
Real wrote:I just wouldnt be able to classify it as a wooden coaster, it would still be steel to me (Balder that is). I never had any doubts it that it looked like a stellar ride, it just doesnt have enough wooden characteristics for me anyways to be a wooden coaster.

But even classified as a steel I could see it being right up there with any great steel coaster you could find because of the insane layout.

BEGIN RANT!

Ok Real, with all due respect, because I love your NL work, BUT...... I just have to comment about this. How could you NOT count a wooden coaster as a wooden coaster???

You guys missed my point. Its not the supports, as you know, that makes a wooden ride wooden. Its the planks its built on. Hence why rides such as Gemini are steel coasters, duh.

I started to really examine the Intamin Plug n Play prefabricated track and it doesnt have the 8 layered wood like all other woodies do. Its a trait that has been in almost every single wooden coaster to date.

When I look at this picture, I dont see the 8 layer wood.
http://www.orlandofun.de/bilder/balder/ ... 80x580.jpg
http://www.orlandofun.de/bilder/balder/ ... 05x580.jpg
(in second photo that looks to be a bunch of laminated peices - like plywood just much stronger)

In respect to it actually still being made of wood, it should just be in its own class. Its hard for me to classify it as a true wooden coaster when the very essense of a wooden coaster, the rails on which its built, dont coincide with what makes a wooden coaster a wooden coaster.

Sure, its got more wood than the CCI Steel structure rides, but they still run on the 8 layer rails. Surely someone whos been into coasters as long as you knows that. They have built wooden coasters that way for almost a century (maybe longer)

Also, roughness has nothing to do with it at all. Heck, Thunderhead was and probably still is the most smooth wooden coaster I have ever been on. I never felt so much as a shimmy on the entire ride no matter where I sat. Their engineering is some of the best in the world when it comes to wooden coasters - mostly because they last a long time.

So I wasnt exactly kidding. However, Im not basing it on the feel of the ride but more the make up of the ride. I base it on the construction of the ride - just like you base the powered coaster stuff on the construction - what makes the ride what it is.

Does any of this negate the fact that Balder is probably one of the craziest rides in the world? NO. The very first time I ever saw the pictures on coastersandmore.de I was amazed at the compact layout and the first video I saw from its media day proved it hauled some serious butt.

I just have a hard time calling it a wooden coaster when the very essense of a wooden coaster, thaose hand laid 8 layer rails, are non-existant.

If you feel the need to continue to rant, go ahead. Obviously I cant stop you but I see no point in going any further. No more can be said than whats already been said. Plus it shouldnt matter what I classify it as, as long as the ride is good. Frankly I dont even get into the analysis anymore like I used too. I just ride it and enjoy it. I only analyze when provoked.

So see Robb, there was more to it than meets the eye. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive