TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Knoebels April 23rd-24th, 2005

This Friday was like any other Friday. I got off work and headed home. The biggest difference was when I got home, I met my girlfriend (Catrina), threw a couple of bags into the car and headed up to Elysburg for Knoebels opening weekend.

The trip was pretty miserable to Knoebels and consisted of over 5 hours of driving in heavy rain. Once we got there, there wasn't much in our minds but to get a good night's sleep to head to Knoebels first thing Saturday morning.

Saturday morning came, and here we are pulling into the parking lot of arguably the greatest old-time park in the world. The forecast was supposed to be horrible with heavy rain and winds attacking us through much of the day, but by the time we walked to the other side of the park we noticed that this might not be entirely accurate. The skies were starting to clear up a little bit, and the mist that had been falling was letting up.

After a cup of coffee at the International Food Court, we walked to Pavillion L to pick up our passes and food coupons for the day. The WCFC had been set up since we first arrived, but were now ready to hand out all credentials. The volunteers were very nice and after we got our passes, we went over to the POP booth to get our handstamps.

Once we received our handstamps and brightly colored wristbands, we walked over to the flyers where all the loyal flyer crowd was already congregating. At the front of the line was Todd Long and it wasn't much of a suprise that his first ride of the day would also be on the flyers.

The first running of the flyers for the day was sort of an all-star event very reminiscent of PPP. All the flyer celebrities were on hand demonstrating their skills and the ride made loud cracks as the pilots soared through the sky. I managed to get a couple decent rides before we headed to the other areas of the park.

Catrina had never been to Knoebels, so we decided to do the coasters so she could get the much coveted credits. The Phoenix was running up to it's full potential and the HSTC was a blast. The Twister was also giving very good rides, but I think I got a little spoiled with the brutal laps that were encountered during last year's PPP.

After rides on the Carousel, Haunted House, Boats, Scooters and a few other assorted rides, we headed over to the Pavillion for the food meet that was scheduled.

Back at the Pavillion, Cesaris and Birch Beer was ready for all to consume, and shortly after the meal our guest speaker got up to address the audience. The speaker was none other than Knoebels' own John Fetterman. He talked about the challenges faced while relocating the Phoenix and talked about how he is using that knowledge to move the Starliner in Florida.

After John finished his segment, The WCFC presented Dick Knoebel with a plaque honoring the 20th anniversary of the Phoenix's relocation. Dick got a little sentimental and talked about how his hair was a different color in the press article that the move got.

After dinner, we headed out for a few more rides, but cut out right before the ERT. The skies were looking pretty bad, and we figured it was better to walk to the car now than run later.

Sunday morning we checked out of the hotel and headed back to Knoebels for a little more fun before our trek back to WV. The temperature was now much colder than the day before and after a handful of rides and an impromtu visit to the magic show, we decided to head home.

In all, it was a great visit to Knoebels, and I already miss the flyers. Looks like there might be a couple more visits in line this summer.

knoebels_headlock.jpg.0f5b9a8990b396f400733ef58853800c.jpg

Right before Floyd the Magician pulls a Houdini and escapes the shackles.

knoebels_testheadgear.jpg.3e99503e351fe8a7c7fcc6fc904ddb60.jpg

A picture of me testing the equipment.

knoebels_bribing.jpg.31a13d454e5ab25312a0a00229b0b75a.jpg

Todd attempts to bribe Floyd the Magician.

knoebels_dickknoebel.jpg.96ebd5983fa8d443bdfd3b354818ec2a.jpg

The WCFC presents Dick Knoebel with a plaque honoring The Phoenix.

knoebels_wcfc.jpg.40dc7e66d1ccdc4c2af989ab7e4462b6.jpg

The crowd.

knoebels_fetterman.jpg.40cf71418c610c27c7b8ae1c3d264c8c.jpg

John Fetterman addresses the crowd.

knoebels_phoenix.jpg.da768c42be6812ffca1a945466d4abca.jpg

The Phoenix returns from it's journey.

knoebels_iwin.jpg.9d89b32de1a9d7e997e7c299a6247af2.jpg

Yaaaay. My first brass ring.

knoebels_fly-gowiththeflow.jpg.e1337f6215915a4b1623c919bec22ca8.jpg

Lesson 3: Just Phly baby. Don't fight the wind.

knoebels_fly-divetoninety.jpg.3c0616998a88aed3da3c1ef7e5ff4536.jpg

Lesson 2: Always dive to the lowest point (no further)

knoebels_fly-getspeed.jpg.f070df8daaabb47e27ad3a876782c878.jpg

Lesson 1: First you got to get it up to speed.

knoebels_fly-hopaboard.jpg.ffc5b2ee60677dc3057a2bf0595a2480.jpg

Want to know the tricks of the trade ... let me show you.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great TR, except for the fact that I hate you East Coast people!

I miss Knoebels!!!!

Elissa "I had such a cool bruise from the flyers!!" Alvey

We got a spare room you can move into Elissa. You'd be on the East coast and about 4hrs from Knoebels.

BTW, great TR. I can't wait to go back to Knoebels this year.

Nah, not going there next week. I probably won't get a chance to go up there until later in May, hopefully when it's warmer!!!

Good to know there was some good weather there yesterday. We were driving back from North Carolina yesterday, and I remarked during the rainstorm, "This is a good day not to be at Knoebel's!" I guess that wasn't the case at all. And yes, Knoebel's is among the greatest parks EVER! Anyone that's never been there really needs to visit...

Dave "East Coast Rules" Thomas

So you cut out before ERT, huh? I was wondering why I didn't see you during it. You missed some wet rides on the Phoenix. I think I'm still drying out from them. Nice photo TR and video. I can even see myself and the Mrs. in one of your pics.