Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Update Pg. 22: Wrigley Field
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 am

Great thread, Joey. That second shot (of Dodger Stadium), regardless of some guy's head, is a really nice one. Out of curiosity, what'd you have to fork over for that seat? And one more thing, I've heard countless reports from people in Georgia about Chipper being a prick.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:03 am

^$350 for a pair of tickets+parking pass. Not bad considering the face value is $400/ticket. That's why craigslist is so awesome for tickets.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:09 am

Cool stuff Joey. I SO want to do that sometime, just once is enough.

And that's not bad for Dugout club considering I paid $150 for two "reserve" seats for the NLCS Game 3 last year.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 pm

^^ Thanks. Yeah, that's actually really good considering all that you got for it. I'm assuming the prices are a bit higher when the Cubs, Mets, etc. are in town though?

Postby Jew » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:20 pm

^Yup. This was a Tuesday night game against the Braves. Prices for the "premium" game are usually go for pretty close to face value on craigslist.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Hotlanta » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Met Chipper once at Turner Field & once at Disney WWOS and both times he talked to the fans around and signed some stuff.

Those are some killer seats though :b. The Braves have similar seats (don't know if all those extras are included or not), too bad i can't afford them right now.

Postby Jew » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:26 am

Finishing up with baseball for now, today we have a Dodgers spring training game. I'm still kicking myself for never being able to catch a game at Dodgertown, but the Dodgers moving to Glendale allowed for me and Dan to take a quick Southwest flight over to Phoenix to take in a game @ the new Camelback Ranch. This was the first spring training game I went to, and I had a great time. I definitely want to do more than just a day trip and check out a few more camps next year...
IMG_3286.jpg
Welcome to Camelback Ranch...a very bland spring training complex. It was still nice, but it completely lacked any charm.
IMG_3257.jpg
This is the only crappy picture I took of the White Sox portion of the complex, since they decided to be lame and fence off all their areas to the public.
IMG_3261.jpg
Obligatory NOTED! photo.
IMG_3270.jpg
The complex is split in half by this man made river. Moving on to the Dodger side of the river...
IMG_3268.jpg
...we find Tommy Lasorda signing autographs. I'm fairly certain this is all he gets paid to do now...
IMG_3263.jpg
...We also find that unlike the White Sox, the Dodgers had all their fields open for the public to get right up against the fences. This is the major leaguers not starting in the game taking batting practice.
IMG_3274.jpg
Venturing further into the complex, me and Dan went to check out the minor league camp. This turned out to be my favorite part of the trip...getting to watch the instruction up close. It made me want to pick up a baseball and see if I could still throw a curve ball. But since Jews can't play sports, that probably wouldn't have gone too well.
IMG_3278.jpg
Lenny Harris was the batting instructor over at one of the minor league fields.
IMG_3283.jpg
All the baseball drills going on almost made me forget there was a new stadium there too! Here's the obligatory wide shot showing the stadium and the outfield standing room only section.
IMG_3288.jpg
The diamond.
IMG_3289.jpg
For $100 you get this buffet and a seat right behind home plate. That's right. $100. For a spring training game.
IMG_3299.jpg
This guy gets lots of attention. I think he's really rich. And can really hit. When he wants to.
IMG_3301.jpg
The view from our seats. Oh, there's that guy again too.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:26 am

Holy crap, the Dodgers moved from Vero???????? I guess I would have known that if I followed 'em closer, but wow, I had NO idea about that. That's kind of sad though since they were an institution down there. I can remember playing that golf course right next to the stadium several times during spring training.

Anyhow, the new facility looks nice. Did they relocate the Single A team as well?

EDIT: The more I read up about them leaving Vero, the sadder I am. I mean, I'm not a Dodger fan (although my Mom is a die-hard), but this hurts the same way as when the Yanks moved out of Fort Lauderdale....and I despise the Yanks!

Most people don't realize that growing up in South Florida before the Marlin came to town, baseball fans looked forward to Spring Training. It made us feel closer to the teams we rooted for from out of state....sort of like surrogate families to the teams before they moved away and started their long seasons. Having all the Yankee greats go through spring training at Fort Lauderdale stadium meant something to all Yankee fans, and likewise for Dodgertown, and those who bled Dodger blue.

I still love watching the When It Was A Game documentary series, and seeing the footage of Joe D. and The Mick practicing in Lauderdale.

This really is sad to see the other great franchise move away. My heart goes out to the long time Vero residents. :(

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:51 am

Cool stuff Joey.

I was trying to figure out a few days to take Josh over there this year and enjoy the Spring Training but alas, school and work calls.

This will have to do until next year.

Thanks

Postby Jew » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 pm

^^100% agreed. Unfortunately, Frank McCourt only cares about one thing: money. Tradition doesn't mean anything to him. I totally understand that Baseball is a business, but there is also a reason it is referred to as "America's past time." Part of what makes baseball so great is tradition. It's a real shame that's being thrown out.

Between the ownership of Fox and Frank McCourt, everything the O'Malley family did to build a quality organization has been destroyed. Tradition doesn't matter, employees are treated like crap, prices are sky high, and the product on the field sucks.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random