TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

7.thumb.jpg.12717b0bc4d0aaeeedce811f45816641.jpg

The 2019 FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando season started its main season with the touring revival of the classic show, Hello Dolly! Originating in 1964, Hello Dolly has been a longstanding success with numerous tours domestic and international and five revivals since its original run. The current touring production is based on the 2017 revival (most people familiar with this run will know it for Bette Midler's turn as the titular character) but the charm and fun of this show has maintained itself through every iteration of the show to the one we saw onstage at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts.

Dolly Gallagher Levi is a jack of all trades, admittedly in the business of meddling as a way to make ends meet. She is a matchmaker, a dance instructor, a mandolin tutor and she has an excessive number of other (questionably promised) skills that seem to be exactly what is needed for the situation at hand. She's five steps ahead of all of the other characters around her, slowly manipulating the cast around her like chess pieces on the board... Her end game, to marry the well known half-millionaire of Yonkers, New York, Horace Vandergelder.

Also in the mix are Horace's ambitious store clerks Cornelius and Barnaby, and two equally ambitious women of a New York hat shop, Irene and Minnie, and Horace's niece and her determined suitor, Ermengarde and Ambrose. These six characters are pushed towards their own desires as if by fate, but in reality moved by Dolly's designs on them all, often in the most humorous of ways.

Hello Dolly is one of the older shows making the rounds these days and it definitely has a different style than the more modern musicals we're used to seeing on tour... But there is a humor to this show that is refreshing and more often than not had the entire theater erupting in fits of laughter. It feels like it comes from a more "innocent" time and that isn't a bad thing! The dialog is witty and at times subtle but ironic...The best direction I can give to describe what I mean is to recommend you to listen to "It Takes a Woman" from the first act... Hilarious and catchy but not spelling out the irony behind the song.

For a show rooted in the 1960's, the staging, costuming and dancing is vibrant and enthralling. Betty Buckley gets top billing as the tour's Dolly and she nails the role... Her wit, timing and energy make it easy to invest in her character's moves, especially when they pan out to help others other than just herself. The rest of the cast more than keeps up, with Lewis Stadlen's Horace and Nic Rouleau's Cornelius delivering showstoppers across both acts. Hello Dolly! is a period piece but a timeless one at that and for that reason it makes its mark over fifty years after its original debut.

As a fun aside, Disney fans will be sure to recognize several tunes from the show, as instrumental versions of "Elegance," "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" and "Before the Parade Passes By" have been a part of the Main Street USA background loop at Disneyland and Walt Disney World for years!

Hello Dolly! is being shown at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts from November 27th through December 2nd and tickets are still available for purchase. For more information about the show visit: https://www.drphillipscenter.org/events/tickets/2018/hello-dolly/

1673040844_1_BettyBuckleyinHelloDolly!NationalTour-2018JulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.1c3aab74a1c5337747833aa131fff4c7.jpg

642398526_2_HelloDolly!NationalTourCompany-2018JulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.9168514f5c870a3b6219ef3df0d589f3.jpg

234004756_3_HelloDolly!NationalTourCompany-2018JulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.816ee53eb660c4c74a9a5038f0086630.jpg

1392196811_4_HelloDolly!NationalTourCompany-2018JulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.5ab7c25c6bd56b897e87448fa3e5e7cc.jpg

1229318483_5_BettyBuckleyandLewisJ.StadleninHelloDolly!NationalTour-2018JulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.b695f86916fc0e4c53c60030b47fa5f6.jpg

708940912_6_HelloDolly!NationalTourCompany-2018JulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.1e4da8a6ed0044aa226536078ac23c61.jpg

301377951_8_HelloDolly!NationalTourCompany-2018JulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.dac44b04b072e21e46f3ca346fa311c3.jpg

227520550_9_HelloDolly!NationalTourCompany-2018JulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.bd293faf483a87163394013d9e6234fa.jpg

298603190_BettyBuckleyinHelloDolly!NationalTour-PhotobyJulietaCervantes.thumb.jpg.ad2989e334435ebc40764630c984cacb.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.bb2a8fb818b08290273950f1e555f7ce.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I’m pretty late with this, but I did see the touring production of Wicked a few weeks ago, and it was something to remember! With Jackie Burns and Kara Lindsay playing Elphaba and Glinda respectively, it was quite the spectacle! Kara Lindsay was absolutly historical with her unique take on Glinda, and Jackie Burns had everything to make the transformation from young, almost naive Elphaba to strong, passionate Elphaba. I did stagedoor afterwords, getting to meet both the witches, something I couldn’t believe was happening until after the fact . Anyway, if the show comes near you, I would 10/10 recommend going to see it!

A0824FC6-A2C1-4827-83A9-74CE7F47D652.thumb.jpeg.5fba601d7e80bcd0dad2e40e9ee54c67.jpeg

Classic Playbill-before-the-show picture

5DD65A2A-35AC-4759-A99D-78EBABFC92C6.thumb.jpeg.dc836cbf99f2f2073face55d6af5e604.jpeg

Kara Lindsay is the sweetest! And I was quite starstuck as seen here

B14145F3-79C4-464F-9674-12AAF7DF3414.thumb.jpeg.d0c28fef7596a3287658db866f978231.jpeg

And the same with Jackie Burns! She listened the whole time I was geeking out over the show

F723755A-72DF-4AE9-9742-864B02B66457.thumb.jpeg.e421c4656cfa2d2d1d9658f746c87f88.jpeg

And of course the signed Playbills!

So KT *LOVED* this! You wouldn't think it would necessarily appeal to 11 year old girls, but she's an old soul and loved the characters, humor, dancing, costumes, and everything about it.

Why am I not at all surprised that KT loved this show, Hello Dolly!  I was introduced to Broadway musicals at just her age and was mesmerized by all the same things that enchanted her!  She has SO much to look forward to as she explores the "Golden Age of Bdway Musicals," from The King & I; Bye Bye Birdie; Gypsy, Carousel; Oklahoma; South Pacific; My Fair Lady; Chorus Line; Camelot...even Off-Bdway's The Fantasticks.  Way too many for me to list.  Being an "old soul," she can get an early start on so many great old musicals.  ENJOY all the adventures that await!

P.S.  I was delighted to get a short personal note from Betty Buckley (responding to my TPR tweet) after reminding her of the times my 3 Shih Tzu & her 3 Shih Tzu would meet up in the park!   Very nice lady - spectacular voice!

Alice

Hey, hey you ANDY KARL fans! The actor currently in Pretty Woman: The Musical did a recent interview with http://www.broadway.com and was "dared" to name all of his musical characters, including a couple of off-B ones.

This includes his famous UPS Guy ("Legally Blonde") and last year's TONY-nomed part in "Groundhog Day:The Musical." He dared them back (w/o naming them all) to get "somebody" to paint them all, on one canvas..."like the Last Supper."

Well somebody from Broadway.com did just that, and they just posted it!

Enjoy.

AndyKarl-LastSupper2018.png.56c65587ba25c8ec1ff526191d5a9b8d.png

(l. to r.) Andy Karl as Edward ("Pretty Woman"), Joe ("9 to 5"), The Bustle Fluffer ("The Mystery of Edwin Drood" music video) , Tony ("Saturday Night Fever"), Fiyero ("Wicked"), Phil Connors ("Groundhog Day"), himself, Kyle the UPS Guy ("Legally Blonde"), Rocky Balboa ("Rocky"), Adam ("Slut"), Neville ("The Mystery of Edwin Drood"), Luke ("Altar Boyz"), Tommy DeVito ("Jersey Boys") & Bruce Granit ("On the 20th Century")...Illustration: Ryan Casey for Broadway.com

Hey, hey you ANDY KARL fans! The actor currently in Pretty Woman: The Musical did a recent interview with http://www.broadway.com and was "dared" to name all of his musical characters, including a couple of off-B ones.

This includes his famous UPS Guy ("Legally Blonde") and last year's TONY-nomed part in "Groundhog Day:The Musical." He dared them back (w/o naming them all) to get "somebody" to paint them all, on one canvas..."like the Last Supper."

Well somebody from Broadway.com did just that, and they just posted it!

Enjoy.

Bwahahahaha!! SO much talent -- I can never get over how many artistic geniuses lurk among us...most flying below the radar.

Alice

^ LOL, and I totally forgot he played the original Luke in Altar Boyz! That off-B shoiw got so much good reviews for of the guys in it, Karl included.

So... ... I just ordered my first copy of it, on Amazon, heh.

And he's waaaay overdue for his TONY. Kelli O'Hara FINALLY got hers (for "King & I", just saw it stage/on/screen from London, earlier this afternoon!), so why not Andy next June for "Pretty Woman"?

I also consider him and his wife Orfeh one of those "Broadway Power Couples" that can do (so far) not too much wrong, separate or together in a musical. Danny Burstein and Rebecca Luker are another pair like that, in different styles, too.

A new musical now on Broadway is having it's cast recording released in the new year...

Masterworks Broadway is proud to release the Original Broadway Cast Recording of THE PROM, a new musical comedy (with issues!). The album features original music by Tony Award® Nominee Matthew Sklar (Elf, The Wedding Singer) and lyrics by four-time Tony Award® Nominee Chad Beguelin (Aladdin, Elf). We've got trouble, folks, right here in Indiana and when Broadway's brassiest hear a student is unceremoniously sidelined from a small-town Indiana prom and the press is involved they are ready to kick-ball-change the world. A new musical comedy about the power of love (and a good 11 o clock number), THE PROM is about so much more than just a dance.

Current release date is January 11, 2019.

TheProm.jpg.c6cb3c23984270833cadc4c2add29283.jpg

A new musical now on Broadway is having it's cast recording released in the new year...

Masterworks Broadway is proud to release the Original Broadway Cast Recording of THE PROM, a new musical comedy (with issues!). The album features original music by Tony Award® Nominee Matthew Sklar (Elf, The Wedding Singer) and lyrics by four-time Tony Award® Nominee Chad Beguelin (Aladdin, Elf). We've got trouble, folks, right here in Indiana and when Broadway's brassiest hear a student is unceremoniously sidelined from a small-town Indiana prom and the press is involved they are ready to kick-ball-change the world. A new musical comedy about the power of love (and a good 11 o clock number), THE PROM is about so much more than just a dance.

Current release date is January 11, 2019.

Yet it’s on Spotify as of today! I’m listening to it as I type this and the best word I have to describe it is ingenious! It’s funny, touching, and dangerously catchy. Definitely worth a listen!

^ I hope "The Prom" is holding up better on The Broad Way, than "Head Over Heels" did. It's already posted a closing notice. And "Pretty Woman:The Musical" appears to be The Main Musical in the current season to beat, or do a$ good a$.

And as well.. it's been recently posted, for the new Stage Version of "To Kill A Mockingbird", that seats are now available up to...... September, 2019?

Wow, you go, Jeff Daniels! (playing the lead, Atticus Finch)

Just discovered new "poster art" for the soon-to-be-on-Broadway, off-Brdwy smash Be More Chill.

And, the entire off-B cast is coming to The Broad Way, which is awesome. I love the off-B CD and think

(personally) it's the best of the few off-Bs transferring to Broadway this season.

Although I do wish Everybody's Talking About Jamie would get over here from London,

and give all the other shows a good run for their $$$.

BeMoreChilloff-Br.png.19fbc34b447455e2e0f2ec6f6e543f15.png

Very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Details on the digital lottery for the upcoming performances of Hamilton at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts have been released!

1.thumb.jpg.56ba80e88afc2cbae9e13ee7aab229ef.jpg

Producer Jeffrey Seller and the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts announce a digital lottery for HAMILTON tickets will begin in conjunction with the show’s first performance (January 22) in Orlando at the Dr. Phillips Center. Forty (40) tickets will be sold for every performance for $10 each. The digital lottery will open at 11:00 AM ET on Sunday, January 20 for tickets to the Tuesday, January 22 performance. Subsequent digital lotteries will begin two days prior to each performance.

HOW TO ENTER THE DIGITAL LOTTERY

Use the official app for HAMILTON, now available for all iOS and Android devices in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store (http://hamiltonmusical.com/app).

You can also visit http://hamiltonmusical.com/lottery to register.

The lottery will open at 11:00 AM ET two days prior to the performance date and will close for entry at 9:00 AM ET the day prior to the performance. Winner and non-winner notifications will be sent at approximately 11:00 AM ET the day prior to the performance via email and SMS (if mobile number is provided). Tickets must be purchased online with a credit card by 4:00 PM ET the day prior to the performance using the purchase link and code in a customized notification email. Tickets not claimed by 4:00 PM ET the day prior to the performance are forfeited.

Each winning entrant may purchase up to two (2) tickets. No purchase or payment necessary to enter or participate. Lottery tickets may be picked up at will call beginning 2 hours prior to the performance with a valid, non-expired photo ID that matches the name used to enter. Tickets are non-transferable.

Tickets for HAMILTON are currently on sale. Guests are advised to check the official HAMILTON channels and drphillipscenter.org for late release seats which may become available at short notice.

HAMILTON is the story of America's Founding Father Alexander Hamilton, an immigrant from the West Indies who became George Washington's right-hand man during the Revolutionary War and was the new nation’s first Treasury Secretary. Featuring a score that blends hip-hop, jazz, blues, rap, R&B, and Broadway, HAMILTON is the story of America then, as told by America now.

With book, music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda, direction by Thomas Kail, choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler and music supervision and orchestrations by Alex Lacamoire, HAMILTON is based on Ron Chernow’s biography of Founding Father Alexander Hamilton.

The HAMILTON creative team previously collaborated on the 2008 Tony Award ® Winning Best Musical IN THE HEIGHTS.

HAMILTON features scenic design by David Korins, costume design by Paul Tazewell, lighting design by Howell Binkley, sound design by Nevin Steinberg, hair and wig design by Charles G. LaPointe, casting by Telsey + Company, Bethany Knox, CSA, and General Management by Baseline Theatrical.

The musical is produced by Jeffrey Seller, Sander Jacobs, Jill Furman and The Public Theater.

Launching April 2019 in Chicago, HAMILTON: THE EXHIBITION will take visitors deeper into the life and times of Alexander Hamilton through the immersive exhibit featuring a dynamic, interactive mix of in-depth scenography, lighting, sound, multimedia, music, and an audio tour narrated by Mr. Miranda. For more information and to sign up to be the first to receive news and ticket sales alerts about HAMILTON: THE EXHIBITION, please visit hamiltonexhibition.com.

The HAMILTON Original Broadway Cast Recording is available everywhere nationwide. The HAMILTON recording received a 2016 Grammy for Best Musical Theatre Album.

For information on HAMILTON, visit http://www.HamiltonMusical.com, http://www.Facebook.com/HamiltonMusical, http://www.Instagram.com/HamiltonMusical and http://www.Twitter.com/HamiltonMusical.

^ Speaking of "Hamilton"....

Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony-winning musical Hamilton officially opened at Puerto Rico's Luis A. Ferré Performing Arts Center on January 11, 2019

And Lin-Manuel is again taking the lead for the three weeks it plays in PR.

Hamilton2018.thumb.jpg.39fe86e3d00bd2eb182c3e146eab91fe.jpg

Lin-Manuel Miranda takes in the crowd during the opening night curtain call.

© Broadway.com • Photo by Emilio Madrid-Kuser

Another great musical legend has left us.

"Broadway legend Carol Channing died on January 15 at her home in Rancho Mirage, California at the age of 97. The actress won a 1964 Tony Award for originating the role of Dolly Gallagher Levi in Hello, Dolly! She also received a Tony nomination for her turn in The Vamp and had a memorable turn on Broadway in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

There's a wonderful 2011 documentary out on her, called Carol Channing ~ Larger Than Life which I have, and I highly recommend it. And it was made when she was 90!

CarolChanning.jpg.f56f87a5c773ee80ed57870243c4577c.jpg

^ Speaking of "Hamilton"....

Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony-winning musical Hamilton officially opened at Puerto Rico's Luis A. Ferré Performing Arts Center on January 11, 2019

And Lin-Manuel is again taking the lead for the three weeks it plays in PR.

Yup. From all of the reviews, he's even better than when he originated the role! Would be nice to go see this!

Another great musical legend has left us.

"Broadway legend Carol Channing died on January 15 at her home in Rancho Mirage, California at the age of 97. The actress won a 1964 Tony Award for originating the role of Dolly Gallagher Levi in Hello, Dolly! She also received a Tony nomination for her turn in The Vamp and had a memorable turn on Broadway in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

There's a wonderful 2011 documentary out on her, called Carol Channing ~ Larger Than Life which I have, and I highly recommend it. And it was made when she was 90!

Carol Channing will be greatly missed! (Ethel Merman had been offered the lead in Hello Dolly, but turned it down!) Carol was definitely a one-of-a-kind STAR!

Alice

We've entered quite a few times for the NYC show and never won, but we've met plenty of people that did! Spoiler alert, KT and I will be entering the Orlando Lottery EVERY DAY!!!!

Like they say: "Vote and vote often!" Oops. I mean "ENTER!!"

Wishing you much luck!!!

Alice

Won the lottery to see Wicked at the Hollywood Pantages yesterday!

WOW. What a show. Defying Gravity left me with my jaw on the floor and completely out of breath. I can't imagine what Jackie Burns must have felt like.

^ I've seen two tours of the show that includes that closing act number, and it still thrills me to see and hear it!

Besides that, the new 2019-2020 Season of "Broadway Across Canada" shows is being emailed

to it's subscribers on Thursday. I am pretty sure, we're going to get three, like before. And

supposedly Dear Evan Hansen is to be one of them.

Am hoping it is. And we still have Come From Away to see in March.

ComeFromAway2017.jpg.1fd8fd4dd036dd60fb9d45d9b7fe4a1f.jpg

Seeing it March 6th, to be exact. (o;

^Yup, entered for the first show today as it opens in Orlando on Tuesday.

Also, KT and I made a short trip to Puerto Rico last week to see Lin-Manuel Miranda reprise his role and it was everything we imagined and more.

That's what I call *FANS* !! (I had to look twice at your photos to concur that, "YES! They've gone to Puerto Rico to support their fave show and its incredible actor!)

Alice