TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

I wouldn't call this a rant by any means, but honestly I had no idea where to put this, and this thread is the best place to put it, I'd say.

Long story short, my dad got a new job. My family's moving to Atlanta. I'm not sad or anything like that, not much should change for us; the only major difference is the city. Moving schools isn't a big problem for me, I can adapt easily. Since we're only like about a four hour drive from Orlando, we might still keep our Disney and SeaWorld passes, which is a cool bonus. Just... it's weird. I've never lived outside of Florida before. I was born in Fort Myers, moved to Tampa when I was like six months old, and I've stayed here ever since. Having to change that just feels off, y'know? I'm really excited, but at the same time, I'm not. Again, it's weird.

Atlanta is a fantastic city with so much to do (and not for nothing, they have one of the best parks in the Six Flags Chain).

you'll love it.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/article/Alton-police-officers-involved-in-shoooting-two-13466227.php

So they used one of their standard pictures, which was taken while investigating about our 5th shooting within 48 hours from a couple years ago... WTF. So awesome to be woken up by calls and text messages from family and friends at 9am after working midnights, even though this happened after shortly I went home.

Special thanks to the paper for scaring the sh*t out of all of my family members, when they could have just used one of their shots of a patrol vehicle or badge. They need to take some more God damned police cover shots, because I always end up on the cover of the worst stories. Lawsuits, tax increases, shootings, etc. fml.

Orlando traffic has been the absolute worst this week. I live 7 miles from where I work and it took me 45 minutes to get home Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, AND I don't even have to use Interstate 4.

• 1 month later...

What the hell is even the point of car horns!?

On the way into work, as usual, I ended up stuck in completely jammed up traffic going nowhere (welcome to I-95 in Rhode Island!) and some asshole decides he's going to make things better by leaning on his horn.

That's right, keep honking! A few more seconds of blaring noise and the person in front of you, who's just as stuck as you are, is absolutely definitely going to move out of your way! Definitely making being stuck here much more pleasant and relaxing too!

Shortly after, off the main highway and with traffic actually moving, someone else decides to start hitting their horn, over and over. He's not gesturing at anyone, he's not trying to get into another lane, he's not obviously trying to get any message across, just hitting his horn over and over, surrounded by other cars. Who's he honking at? Why? NO ONE KNOWS but we all get to listen to it and try to figure out if he's trying to get across that our car is on fire, or we have a cat trapped under the car, or if he just really wants people to get out of his way because he needs to get to a bathroom right now.

It's a completely pointless way to make noise that communicates absolutely nothing and never does anything but piss people off and make traffic even more frustrating. How socially acceptable would it be to walk into a room and just start yelling? Not saying anything, no words, warnings, or demands, just noise, just walk into a crowd and start screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA", and expecting people to know what you mean?

But, blaring horns are completely normal, apparently.

Should be at SeaWorld right now but my flight was cancelled yesterday and I'm stuck in lovely Buffalo -- have to rearrange everything as I won't be in Florida until tonight now. And of course all the lost $$$ for hotel night, the fact I took off work for the flight, etc.

No other airlines had cancelled flights due to the weather, just Southwest.

This afternoon, my hometown, Aurora, had a mass shooting with 6 casualties. This is terrible, and I hate that this had to happen so close to me and so many other people I know.

I really hope this can help be a wake up call to force the country to ban assault weapons. We have just been honoring the anniversary and deaths of shootings that happened in February, and now we have this new one here.

Sorry for getting a little political, but it's greatly affected me this afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
Dammit! I just accidentally clicked the "mark everything read" button for Themeparks, Rollercoasters, and Donkeys. I still had like several dozen unread threads.

Haha, I used to be so afraid of doing that. I want to know what I have and haven't read for a reason. Or at least, um, reasons. Not so clear on it anymore.

I always appreciate helping others, both in real life and with coasters. I like being viewed as a nice guy. Today, I was really helping a friend with a trip to KK and Holiday World, but then he said this:

"Both parks don’t look to be overly impressive tbh. I would go to KK for Storm Chaser and Lightning Run but also Holiday World for Voyage. Although Voyage doesn’t really look that outstanding to be honest"

Why would you plan or put money into a trip when you're not impressed by them? Complaining enthusiasts are the worst, and this might be the worst encounter I've come across.

One of the fathers of the 20 children killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School

shooting several years ago, has been reported to have committed suicide,

a day or so ago.

IMhO, "The right to bear arms" is a total joke in the U.S. Constitution.

It's My Rant and I am entitled to it, regardless of where I live.

In Maryland our weather often looks like this:

January-first half of February: Freezing cold and snow

2nd half of February through first half of March: Warm and sunny, is Spring here early?

2nd half of March through first half of April: Nope! Back to super cold, and a good chance of snow.

2nd half of April is when spring finally arrives for real.

• 2 weeks later...

Notre Dame Cathedral was ON FIRE all day today. Apparently most (if not all) of the art works inside were saved. And nobody was killed or injured, from what I've read. But the roof was totaled, the main spire fell, and it's just sad, sad, sad to see the photos and film of it all.

My healing thoughts are with the people of Paris and France.

Notre Dame Cathedral was ON FIRE all day today. Apparently most (if not all) of the art works inside were saved. And nobody was killed or injured, from what I've read. But the roof was totaled, the main spire fell, and it's just sad, sad, sad to see the photos and film of it all.

My healing thoughts are with the people of Paris and France.

Unless they removed the famous stained glass for the renovations. I fear it has all been destroyed

the iconic bell towers have been deemed "safe".. so at least those are still standing. . but yeah, a horrific loss

^ I honestly think (and read) that they didn't get to the windows in time. That said, a lot of the artwork treasures have been saved and currently, it's still being reported that those two bell towers at the front, and the back of the cathedral can/may still be saved. The destruction is all in the middle of it.

img_9104_0.jpg.ebb66ac3f2c522dd57a478c4681a24fa.jpg

My last shot of Notre Dame, near the end of our Paris visit, Sept.2015.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I visited Bobbejaanland today. Although the park was open until 5 pm, they decided to close all the rides at 4 pm. But, according to the screens inside the park, all the rides would close between 4:30 and 5 pm. I’m so pissed that I send a complaint mail.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm so glad it's not as bad as it is in Europe, but geez it's been HOT these past days!

At my and David's elder age, extreme heat and humidity are not friendly to us.

Even being inside is tough, with all the doors open and a fan going full tilt. Not

bad enough, to warrant getting an actual air conditioner now. But...who's to tell in

future years? We may need one. Other than that,.....bleah.