TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT2] Detroit Funland/Six Flags Detroit

Gonna start my first park storyline about a park near Detroit. It will eventually become a Six Flags park, but we'll get there later as the story goes along. Here we go:

In 1969, Marco Beaumont purchased a lot of land north of Detroit, Michigan, with the purpose of starting a family amusement park. He shoots for an opening in 1971 or 1972. The park was finished late summer of 1971. And the park opened in 1972. It had only a scant amount of rides in its initial opening, but Beaumont promised that more rides would be added as the park grew.

299255696_DetroitFunlandLogoCirca1972.jpg.a2e0ff00d788b8e4ecfdd4f3b3e3b3f3.jpg

The original logo. Creepy, isn't it?

SCR1.BMP

The park layout.

SCR2.BMP

The Emporium and the Burger Hut.

SCR3.BMP

Here's the midway.

SCR4.BMP

The Detroit Bender, a Schwarzkopf Speed Racer, is the first coaster to open at the park.

SCR5.BMP

More of the Detroit Bender.

SCR6.BMP

The car ride Old Timers (in-game ride) built by Arrow Development.

SCR7.BMP

Another look at the park. As you can see, there's a lot of room for future growth.

Edited by HowieP

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we move on to 1973, Detroit Funland starts its slow growth with a new addition. The classic carnival/park ride Tilt-A-Whirl from Sellner is added to the mix. This is a first in promising additions to the park.

SCR8.BMP

New for 1973 is the classic Tilt-A-Whirl.

SCR9.BMP

The Skyway seems to be a popular ride.

SCR10.BMP

The roller coaster Detroit Bender is also a popular ride.

SCR11.BMP

After its first year, Detroit Funland has become a pretty popular park, despite its small layout.

SCR12.BMP

Surveyors are looking in this area for possible future expansion.

SCR13.BMP

Another view of the area.

SCR14.BMP

Detroit Bender is constantly busy with riders.

SCR15.BMP

One more look at the recent addition.

SCR16.BMP

Can't wait to see what they will add next to this growing park.

Another year, another season for Detroit Funland. The Phase 2 expansion has begun at the park. New for 1974 is a swing ride called Flying Trapeze. Let's take a look inside.

SCR17.BMP

New for 1974, the Flying Trapeze.

SCR18.BMP

As part of the expansion, a back door was added to the Emporium.

SCR19.BMP

A look at the midway. Things are going pretty smooth.

SCR20.BMP

The previous addition, Tilt-A-Whirl, seems to be having steady ridership.

SCR21.BMP

Though ridership is spotty at best, the Detroit Bender is a great roller coaster.

SCR22.BMP

Another look at the Flying Trapeze.

SCR23.BMP

With the Flying Trapeze now added to the park, Detroit Funland is steady growing.

1975 brought Detroit Funland's biggest investment since opening with the addition of Splash Mine log flume ride. Built by Arrow Development, Splash Mine gives the folks a thrilling ride and a way to cool down during the hot summer months. Also a new restaurant opened up next to the Splash Mine called the Pizza Place where they serve pizza and drinks for everyone. Let's take a look at what's happening at Detroit Funland.

SCR24.BMP

New for 1975 at Detroit Funland is Splash Mine (in-game ride). The park's biggest investment since opening.

SCR25.BMP

The midway. Moving on.

SCR26.BMP

The Skyway is still pretty popular.

SCR27.BMP

Detroit bender is still a popular coaster.

SCR28.BMP

Opening along with Splash Mine is the new Pizza Place where they serve, well, pizza.

SCR29.BMP

A look at how the park has grown.

The Bicentennial began with a much-needed addition to Detroit Funland. Dodgems was added as the park needed a bumper cars attraction. Along with the previous addition, Splash Mine, Detroit Funland is beginning to take shape. Plus park owner Marco Beaumont announced another big investment coming to the park the following year.

Would like some feedback to how I'm doing with this park so far.

SCR1.BMP

New for 1976, Dodgems.

SCR2.BMP

Detroit Bender has a long line, it's so popular.

SCR3.BMP

Last years addition, Splash Mine, rarely has a line due to amount of ride vehicles available.

SCR4.BMP

Word is getting around about Detroit's newest destination.

SCR5.BMP

Folks can't wait to see what this big investment will be.

Before the end of the 1976 season Marco Beaumont announced a new roller coaster coming to Detroit Funland for the 1977 season. And in 1977 the folks got Blue Comet, a wooden roller coaster built by William Cobb and Associates. Standing at 90 ft tall and a length of just over 2500 ft with an out-and-back layout, this is the largest coaster in the park and the folks finally got a thrilling coaster to ride.

SCR6.BMP

Introducing Detroit Funland's newest coaster, Blue Comet.

SCR7.BMP

Going over the 2nd tallest hill.

SCR8.BMP

Coming back around.

SCR9.BMP

Plenty of airtime on this coaster.

SCR10.BMP

And returning to the station.

SCR11.BMP

The whole layout of Blue Comet.

SCR12.BMP

Over at Detroit Bender, the park's original coaster, things are still busy.

SCR13.BMP

Climbing the spiral lift hill on the Bender.

SCR14.BMP

The bustling midway.

SCR15.BMP

Another look at Blue Comet as a train of riders goes up the lift hill.

SCR16.BMP

Look at how the park as grown in the past five years. And more is to be expected.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I will post another update when I can. Having some computer issues at the moment, but I managed to save the Detroit Funland file if I need to get a new computer. So expect new updates in the future. I just don't know when I'll be able to do so. I will keep you posted.

• 2 months later...