Parkitect (PKT) Discussion Thread

Indie theme park game, coming to Steam Early Access
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
Good to the last drop

Re: Parkitect (PKT) Discussion Thread

Postby ECZenith » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:20 pm

I was just checking out the Parkitect devlog and even more rides are coming! The newest ones are Turbine and Mine Coaster. Even with Planet Coaster coming out I still love the classic feel of Parkitect, glad there will be even more stuff before it's full release! Go TexelRaptor!!
Turbine.gif
The New Turbine Ride
MineCoaster.jpg
Mine Coaster

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:33 pm

New year, new update! Alpha 10's available for download. A full devlog is here, but these are the major new additions:

Jumper ride

Signs that restrict access to specific people only.
Ability to buy land in scenarios.
Visual water refraction.

Beginning of SciFi props.
Budgeting for ride maintenance, and more.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby G Force » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:57 pm

New rides look great, really add a lot of depth to the game.

Hopefully I'll man up and buy in one of these days, lots of potential I think!

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Devlog Update 134

Tim has spent the last couple weeks on adding a random terrain generator to the scenario editor, and it’s producing pretty nice results now :) There’s lots of options so you’ll never have to play on empty flat terrains anymore (although that’s still possible if you want to):
tumblr_inline_olj1cvMk2M1si3zx7_540.gif

Also smaller park entrance and some wooden paths and queues, and new decoration objects (and less blurry text in Unity).
tumblr_inline_olja7labkU1si3zx7_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_oljcop6d7s1si3zx7_540.png

Lastly the ability for a window to minimize when the mouse is outside of it.
tumblr_inline_oljd01NGLV1si3zx7_540.gif

I'm most excited about the terrain generator! Now it's gonna give each park more variety and character! :)

Edit:
There's also new metal walls (Devlog Update 133) that will be implemented in the next update.
tumblr_inline_ola4rgDzGk1si3zx7_1280.jpg
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:59 am

Midgetman82 wrote:Devlog Update 134

Tim has spent the last couple weeks on adding a random terrain generator to the scenario editor, and it’s producing pretty nice results now :) There’s lots of options so you’ll never have to play on empty flat terrains anymore (although that’s still possible if you want to):

As someone who plays RCT3 regularly, this is the most awesome thing ever made in any game ever.
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:35 pm

^ Agreed. Each time I start a new park, I have to spend a couple of hours just making it not flat and bare of trees. Great update!

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Alpha 11
Alpha 11 is now available for download! The full change log is at the end of this post.
Devlog

We added Skyfall, a drop tower ride where guests are turned into a horizontal position during the drop:
And there’s the Junior Coaster from this weeks Art Stream:
And Gabby made progress with the visual overhaul of the UI. Updating it all is a ton of work that’ll be ongoing for a while. Releasing it all at once when it’s finished would be difficult, so we’ll ship what we currently have and continue improving it over the next few Alphas until it’s done (like we’ve always done it with all parts of the game :)).
Here’s the current state:

(Partial) Changelog
- started UI overhaul (not complete yet)
- added Junior Coaster
- added Skyfall
- added terrain generator to scenario editor
- added fountains
- added modern building sets
- added wooden paths and queues
- added smaller park entrance that is easier to theme
- added shadow fadeout distance setting
- added tilt shift intensity setting
- added running costs for shops and utility buildings
- added female staff outfits
- added auto-minimizing deco builder window
- added world markers for person thoughts
(Full changelog located in post)

Was certainly not expecting the drop tower, let alone the lay-down flat tower! =)

Also, the scenario editor!!! :lover:
20170303211352_1.jpg

20170303211550_1.jpg

20170303211718_1.jpg

I think the other game(s?) could reeeally benefit from something like this to give spice to more people's parks instead of always starting out with pre-made or flat lands.

Also friendly reminder that this is an $18 game that works on almost any computer.

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 am

Copy-paste from latest Devlog posted two days ago...
Devlog Update 138

Gordon finished a new song! It’s really catchy, give it a listen:
https://soundcloud.com/ashellinthepit/clouds

Improving terrain textures has been an open task for a very long time. The reason is that we have a list of requirements/wishes for them, and figuing out a technique that fulfills them all took a while :)

-we wanted to not be severly limited in the amount of different terrain textures we can use (~8 at least)
-hard straight edges between textures don’t look nice, there should be some sort of transition. This can clash with the first requirement; for example -Texture Splatting is usually only done with up to 4 different textures, or requires lots of big splat textures, which leads us to the next requirement…
-it shouldn’t increase savegame sizes too much
-it should play nicely with our terrain. The old textures looked particularly bad around hills

I’ve been thinking about this a lot since the Christmas Holidays break last year and did a bunch of research and prototyping, and we’ve finally arrived at a method that we like :D

First of all, here’s what it looks like:

You can change the texture for quarter tiles now instead of for the whole tile, so it’s more fine-grained than before. Actually, it’s even more fine-grained than that, because each quater tile is further divided up into 4 triangles so you can paint around hills nicely:

As you can see, transitions between tiles aren’t exactly smooth but it’s better than straight edges, and I think our art style allows us to get away with the hard cuts.

We can theoretically use up to 256 different terrain textures, and savegame size shouldn’t be increased by more than a couple hundred kilobytes in most cases.

So, we’re pretty happy with that!

On the downside, we’ll have to drop DirectX 9 support for it. DirectX 10 is available since ~10 years by now, but we still wanted to know how many people would be affected by this change.

So we ran some analytics over the last couple months and found that less than 2% of our players use DirectX 9. Doesn’t sound too bad, but that’s still uncomfortably many! Digging into this further though it turns out that ~90% of these people use DirectX 10-capable graphics cards, so we assume they just don’t have the proper drivers or DirectX version installed. In addition, a good amount of the remaining people is still running Windows XP, which we never officially supported.

So I think we can justify changing our minimum requirements to a DirectX 10-capable graphics card. If you’re still affected by this and can do absolutely nothing about it, please let us know.

Just for fun, here’s a dump of screenshots of the (sometimes weird) things we tried for terrain textures :)

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:15 pm

http://themeparkitect.tumblr.com

There is yet another update to Parkitect! This time, featuring the submarine ride, check it out !
IMG_4791.JPG

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:39 pm

New devlog. Next update gets Flying coasters!
tumblr_inline_oq0hv6rjFv1si3zx7_1280.jpeg

There will also be zoning updates, and updates to the finances window.

PreviousNext

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness