TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] Carolina Coast Park (1949 - present)

HI! Since my computer crashed and all of my data was lost ( ) after getting everything back to the way it was I decided to try a CS RCT3 park a second time, this time with more detail and skill. Also because I have the Soaked and Wild expansion packs which makes this process less time consuming and makes the park look much better. (I will keep this park Vanilla unless there is significant outcry for me to change it)

Anyways, first some general information about the park. Carolina Coast Park is located in Wilmington, North Carolina, USA. Luckily the area it was originally built on was a large, flat, open area (Typical of the Carolina Coastline). The original PARK was built in 1949 with the Wilmington housing boom, however the area it was built upon was never actually developed leaving the park in the middle of a large undeveloped field (<- This will make sense with the pictures, although I did unfortunately leave the backround as mountainous... I'll fix that in the next update). So, since the park was built out of town in an area that never became developed it suffered from low visitorship for close to 3 decades before a wealthy Big Tobacco man discovered the park in 1977. He saw the park not as a suffering city park, but instead as an opportunity waiting to happen. He purchased the park and its surrounding fields from the city of Wilmington soon their-after and developed the park into the mighty southern thrill giant we know today!

This is where the story begins, just before Big Tobacco man bought the park with the storyteller/photographer Michael.

6/28/77: Hello Everyone! My names Michael, I recently moved to Wilmington from Raleigh. Lately there's been a lot of talk about a local park and how a rich man might buy it and turn it into an Amusement Park! So I went over to the library and the park to get some information and pictures.

Shot0001.jpg.fc4137340490df0b2c408ee6b9b75121.jpg

This is the front entrance to the park, it might not look like much, but the detail the city put into the architecture is amazing! It looks like a proper house from the front! However, I only ever got to see it from the front because the park was closed for renovations.

Shot0002.jpg.2f1841a2fa94f283d8b85d419ca2d9d9.jpg

I found this picture at the library, it shows the park from above when it was first built.

Shot0006.jpg.a6cf7714070639e5eec5ee32d171d042.jpg

I found this picture there too! I think it shows the picnic areas after they were added, but I'm not sure...

Shot0005.jpg.6bd8a911f169dfca451b58b15ef6e0a0.jpg

This picture is just closer to the picnic area, I have no idea how they took this picture. They probably had to use a rocket or something to get a shot from so high up . Anyways, thats all I found on the park so far. I'll try to get over to the park when the renovations are done, until then, Goodbye!!!

8/6/77: Hello!, its Michael again. The renovations are finally done and the park looks exactly the same as it does in the pictures, but there was a neat sign in the back...

Shot0007.jpg.8f278d7e1ed29f29a337e9e4beda5be1.jpg

Oooo, I can't wait until then!!! I hope the park has some plans to do some stuff until the new coaster opens...

Shot0008.jpg.30e3c68f11823e35d86b5bcd99ddb869.jpg

Looks like they've already started laying the footers though... Sorry about the lack of other pictures, but I was so excited about the new coaster I completely forgot!

So, until next time,

Michael.

Edited by Cmbgo12

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a nice City Park & an interesting concept. Great job on the presentation, this place feels authentic. I could see this being a real place.

(what's up with the water in the fountain?)

Now I'll offer some constructive criticism. Just my own personal opinion.

I do think a coaster as the first addition is a bit of a stretch, maybe a carousel. Heck, an expansion of the actual park would make more sense than adding any type of ride. But this is your park so it's whatever. (NOTE: the woodie is missing footers, IDK if that is intentional or not) I'd love to see a small woodie like Wooden Warrior @ Quassy. That seems feasible with a park of this stature. Also, you could try the "safari" fence type (if your sticking with in-game content), those would look much better than the current scaffolding fencing. Or try a wooden fence and bury it half-way.

Again, my own personal opinion. This place still looks marvelous regardless. I'm looking forward to how this park progresses.

Now I'll offer some constructive criticism. Just my own personal opinion.

I do think a coaster as the first addition is a bit of a stretch, maybe a carousel. Heck, an expansion of the actual park would make more sense than adding any type of ride. But this is your park so it's whatever. (NOTE: the woodie is missing footers, IDK if that is intentional or not) I'd love to see a small woodie like Wooden Warrior @ Quassy. That seems feasible with a park of this stature. Also, you could try the "safari" fence type (if your sticking with in-game content), those would look much better than the current scaffolding fencing. Or try a wooden fence and bury it half-way.

Thanks for the critique JonnyRCT3, I agree that a coaster for a first ride is a bit of a stretch, but Kings Island did it and look where they are today . I also looked into the Safari Fencing and it didn't really blend well with this current section of park. Maybe a future addition will make use of it though... I also looked into the wooden fence and encountered the same dilemma, so for now I'll stick to the scaffolding fencing. (Though future additions will most likely be better themed)

6/2/79: Micheal Here! Over the past two years or so CCP has been closed as they have been busy building a major expansion that has turned it from a city park into a forming amusement park!

Shot0019.jpg.d8de319d5d8e4bf0f4eb9526b2ee25f3.jpg

I went the library to see if the developer had put any concept art on file, and he had! Turns out that 2 years of work can turn a park around...

Shot0009.jpg.67fb1b16eaf422ac235237dc1b82316e.jpg

My first picture of 1979!! Here is the entrance to the park, it hasn't changed much. But it is being used a lot more...

Shot0010.jpg.aeef047cfa0b16bae5af583dfcb4c89f.jpg

The information and umbrella stand has been freshly painted and refurbished for this season. It almost looks brand new!

Shot0011.jpg.2b4115cde74ec4aefe17fcdee2720e09.jpg

The used Ferris Wheel cleaned up nicely, and the landscaping work definitely does it some justice Shot0012.jpg.39824d65a7d6ebf8a0f9df97aaef4acb.jpg

Pssh: "To your left on the Ferris Wheel you can see the most hidden ride in the park, the main attraction... Wooden Warrior!" This coaster definitely packs a punch for a little PTC junior coaster, I hope this ride stays around for a longgg time.

Shot0013.jpg.b1d2f8404d2e65b9191e503cbbccbf6a.jpg

Another used ride, this time a Carousel. This park is really good at making old rides look brand new!

Shot0015.jpg.c1a6e01945cf6208c1bd3fbe2733a3eb.jpg

The new restaurant seems follow the general theme of the park, not really too special but fulfills its purpose.

Shot0016.jpg.129441bbdfd8bf58af8978dd2d371ca8.jpg

Since Wooden Warrior is very hidden by trees I snuck my camera onto the ride to get some pictures. This ride had a really long wait though so I only got to ride twice. Heres the first drop, here the coaster reaches its max speed of 34 mph after falling a height of 31 ft. This ride is definitely a peanut, but still packs a major punch for its size. I still find it hard to believe the Big Tobacco Man investor spent $210,000 on this rollercoaster during the parks first year as an amusement park!

Shot0017.jpg.073112d8fd5941c87469b5aa4f6dd07e.jpg

This is where all the air time was at, these bunny hops threw you out of your seat ending the ride on a high note!

Shot0018.jpg.96c3216e8c8ca3b474681ace7d925881.jpg

Looks like this is all they have planned for 1980, not that I blame them, they spent a ton of money this year alone...

I guess that finishes this trip report, I'll have to try and give more updates on the park and see how crowds are. I'd hate to see the park die in its infancy, but judging by todays crowds of more than 1,500 people I don't think this park is leaving anytime soon.

Hello, its been a while since my last post on this thread. Sorry about that, I kind of got distracted planning the rest of park instead of focusing on the time period/attractions/park size that I should've. In any case this update will be fairly short and will run the span of approximately a year or so... (Please also note that I don't bite and welcome criticism) Oh yeah, and I have decided that insead of attempting to create this entire park vanilla(ly?) I WILL be using a limited amount of custom flat rides/custom rollercoasters and will be using custom supports on steel coasters (And hybrids when the time comes) as well as larger wooden coasters (Meaning that Wooden Warrior will still use automatic supports since it looks pretty good with them anyways ). Now onto the update!

4/28/80 Hello! Michael here, so for the beginning of this year Carolina Coast Park added a dining area for the restaurant, which is really more like a snack bar , but it looks like they have a few plans to add in a guest services building as well as a parking lot. No rides announced yet, but the park is still immensely popular for family outings or for teenagers looking for something to do.

Shot0020.jpg.2ac2c7425ee39b4a7b936275be84f151.jpg

The new "dining area" is really bland and is basically just benches in a well landscaped area, it is really shady though and the park left out a few trees so you get a really good view of Wooden Warrior going around its corner.

Shot0028.jpg.159bd6403f9c7ea0b4b322c8aaf80167.jpg

The view of Wooden Warriors station from the "dining area". This was previously hidden behind a large pine fence, it looks much nicer now

Shot0022.jpg.d3c07f20b991954d514a195627256ce6.jpg

The new bathrooms fits snugly ( ), I do wish the park had more rides though. I couple of good new rides would really make this park amazing...

Shot0026.jpg.16cc8d6bcc8feb1348cbd1183331fccc.jpg

Hmm, looks like the parking lot and guest services building will be added to the left of the main entrance. Hopefully this will allow the park to attract more visitors besides just locals?

I guess thats all for this update, hopefully I'll be back later in the summer to see how the parking lot and guest services buildings look. Judging by the rest of the park I think I have a pretty good idea, but it doesn't hurt to look

9/4/80 Alrighty, Michael here. So I recently took a little day trip over to the park to see if construction was finished, and it was so I took some pictures before leaving.

Shot0024.jpg.9f677f1088c93880f7549277ae43d223.jpg

Like the rest of the park its nicely landscaped, I really like how they used different colored flowers to spell out "WELCOME" though I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Shot0030.jpg.d23b0cc72c2864d638aecfed7f4998d8.jpg

So this is, umm, you know... Well, its a parking lot. Not really anything special about this sheet of pavement, it's free if your going to the park though, which is nice.

Shot0025.jpg.0904953886f1a0f792988ca7741464b4.jpg

I'm sensing some sort of theme here... I can't seem to figure out what it is though... . Maybe guest services has some information on that...

Shot0029.jpg.9231892378fa85ca142a2b9c3652be83.jpg

Inside the park is the same, however it looks like the park has some sort of expansion planned. No word on that yet, but hopefully it'll be a new ride!

I guess that's it for this update, looking forward to seeing a new thrill here. Lets hope Carolina Coast Park delivers in 1981. Until next time, Michael.

(in the second pic, delete the shrubs after the exit platform. That way your supports will look less "floaty".)

That's caused by the exit, not the shrubs. I did look into ways to make it look better, and found that putting a flat roof above the exit hid the problem nicely and made for a covered exit.

Interesting park. I like the way things are turning out.

Thanks! This coming update will probably be up tomorrow, its a pretty large update that should allow the park to spread out a bit more. Although the area that is complete right now might become congested as the park ages, a future update might have to handle that... Anyways, glad your enjoying it, and hope you enjoy updates that are yet to come

That's caused by the exit, not the shrubs. I did look into ways to make it look better, and found that putting a flat roof above the exit hid the problem nicely and made for a covered exit.

Oh well ok. You could consider moving the exit. But it's really a minor issue.

Thanks! This coming update will probably be up tomorrow, its a pretty large update that should allow the park to spread out a bit more. Although the area that is complete right now might become congested as the park ages, a future update might have to handle that... Anyways, glad your enjoying it, and hope you enjoy updates that are yet to come

Great to hear. I'm looking forward to the next update.

I especially enjoy these little no cs parks. Such charm.

4/28/81: I'm Back! Hey, its Michael. Today is opening day at Carolina Coast Park and my mom helped me get into the park early to take some pictures of the new area the park added. I don't know a lot about the new area as the park has kept it very hush-hush for the past winter. However, it is rumored to have cost more than 1.5 million dollars (About 3.7 Million in 2014). That makes this the most expensive expansion in the parks history. Lets see what the parks added

Shot0035.jpg.1cd1ee09f68ae29ff699d63701942f04.jpg

Hmm, there is definitely something different about the park... I don't know, it might be the massive observation tower in the backround... That's right, this year the park decided to add a huge 183 ft. tall observation deck to the park. From the top you can see almost 15 miles and you get amazing views of the surrounding city of Wilmington and of the ocean!

Shot0049.jpg.8656b2174ca2b6b7db038e92bfbf6357.jpg

The tower does look very nice behind the main entrance, and its a good landmark for finding your way around this very wooded park...

Shot0042.jpg.d45d221d82d606578c4815cb77236349.jpg

This is the new hotness for this year, a brand new midway. Its a little thin with only 3 major rides...

Shot0038.jpg.5bdab66b5f916411fa55c2c7289efb3c.jpg

Though, something tells me the park has a lot more planned than just this.

Shot0040.jpg.f0f9de6bb7252dcaa8c2b7216c84cdd7.jpg

The first ride on the midway is a new Loop-o-Plane named Turbo Looper. This ride is normally seen in fairs or carnavals, but this one is slightly different. The main difference is that this one is permanent, and the second difference is that this one is electric instead of gasoline powered.

Shot0050.jpg.89cc0d35b0b684cbadbfc9b56eee073f.jpg

The next "ride" is the observation tower, this ride was built to the tune of 1.5 million dollars to a height of 183 ft. It is the second tallest structure in Wilmington, surpassing the Murchison Building by 45 ft, while being 17 ft short of the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge.

Shot0037.jpg.090cdb381d68cce9a64af66bf1925560.jpg

The final ride of the new addition is Larson Tilt-a-Whirl, this ride is a classic!

Shot0045.jpg.9bffa4e676738f01d5526b803521cd98.jpg

The crowds when the park opened were pretty insane, I think there was like a hundred million people here today (Not really). I think Wooden Warrior's wait was a little over an hour when this picture was taken though...

Shot0046.jpg.aa155fd284412d4a672bd149b099759a.jpg

Turbo Loopers lines were gargantuan, when I took this picture I heard a few people say that it took them an hour and forty five minutes to get through the line.

Shot0047.jpg.75bc346065c206953ca164d0145e85bf.jpg

The tilt-a-whirl was a little barren for its first day open though, I hope that crowds pick up for it...Shot0032.jpg.4f86937cfd5a1540665201a411164f90.jpg

I managed to get up and down the observation tower before the elevator broke, here's a picture of Wooden Warrior from the top!

Shot0033.jpg.5aed1db52589965656e177e8bc816b1f.jpg

Here's the city of Wilmington, and the coastline.

Shot0034.jpg.040b4bb5bc5dff5da563671d12fa54f4.jpg

The front entrance looking classy as ever

Shot0051.jpg.f8599674635db3fb52092736a15e23c2.jpg

And to finish off the Trip Report, here's an artsy picture of the Observation Tower as the park was getting ready to close.

I guess that's all for now!

Until next time, Michael

6/18/81: Alright, this will just be a short little blirb.

Apparently Carolina Coast Park was really good about keeping its newest expansion secret because the concept art just recently made its way into the library

Shot0041.jpg.cfe33e018df63613c75b0d6af3bf8963.jpg

Also, while I was at the library I also managed to get a copy of a picture of the park from above. I used it and my other pictures to create a graphic showing how the park has expanded, the top part is the two most recent expansions, the middle is the first two expansions, and the final picture at the bottom is how the park looked when it opened in 1949. Enjoy, Michael...

Shot0043.thumb.jpg.62d02f36ebe847f8425d71fff9e450b5.jpg

Wow this place looks stunning! Quickly becoming one of my favorite non-cs parks.

The Observation tower is very unique, great choice! This place has some charm to it, really enjoying these updates.

Thanks, glad your enjoying the park! The next update should be just as interesting as this one... If not a bit more..

I'm loving that observation tower back there! I've also had an idea of creating a tower such as this but it seems like you've beat me to it ! This park is developing nicely!

hehehe , well if you could build something similar using Moby Steel Supports if you wanted to. The peices for that C-Support pack fit together VERY nicely so there are virtually endless possibilities for designs . And I'm glad you're enjoying the park too, if you have any suggestions or comments feel free to post them, I'm open to almost all ideas

Sorry about the lack of updates . I was recently very sick and then went on vacation, updates should resume quite soon. Hopefully the next update makes up for the lack of activity on this topic... (Lets just say that Anton got a pretty large order...)

810427887_1983JPG.jpg.3faa0054e1b30acc09cb323a2b073892.jpg

Coming next year...

(Or when my game stops crashing and deleting everything...)

Names might be changed though, looking for some feedback on that. Keep in mind that they are Mine Town themed and I've already built an entire new area based around that theme so any suggested names should try and stay true to the general theme...

• 1 month later...

Let me apologize for the lack of updates on the park. I kind of got a bit of a block with it, but now that I have for the most part sorted that out new updates should be coming out ever few days or so...

5/5/82- Spring has sprung at CCP, and the lines are short while the list of open rides is disappointingly small. Today Wooden Warrior broke down early in the morning and was closed for the rest of the day, while the Tilt-a-Whirl was closed due to the close proximity to the construction... I'm hoping the new area will add a few new attractions to Carolina Coast's short list of rides, but from what I've seen in the construction records it looks like they're building more of a kiddie area then anything...( )

Shot0065.jpg.4016a681c6d043c6df9aa7ed6137ddf2.jpg

This shot is becoming slightly overused, but its a good way to start out an update.

Shot0063.jpg.b61ab6d583869fc3d32b5f7838f25c3a.jpg

I decided to go up the observation deck to get a look at the construction site first, but while I was up there I noticed that Wooden Warrior had gotten stuck on the lift hill. I was really looking forward to riding it today too...

Shot0052.jpg.4be455bfb7e7ef1a9f2356320437d93d.jpg

The new rollercoaster is coming along very nicely, but is looking more like a crane and less like a coaster at this point

Shot0055.jpg.01815d2e8d63f7366c0fed6c917557d0.jpg

Looking past the billboard and the trees you can kinda make out a large cylinder thingy... Wonder what this will be..?

Shot0056.jpg.60e63d527c4800914d5e4e95f291f6b6.jpg

Hmm, stupid fence made it hard to see what they're building over here... From the signs it looks like it might be a new themed area though... Haven't read about that yet.

Shot0061.jpg.b626b5f6bb1801329252ea48c7c4a602.jpg

People on Wooden Warrior were still waiting to be unloaded nearly an hour later... Glad I didn't head straight there after all

Shot0057.jpg.1539fa1368d54a273ec7e3624dbaa3e8.jpg

Randomish picture of the roped off queue area

Since the park is so small and a few rides were closed and/or broken I decided to leave early and head to the library. While I was there I saw that they had the annual aerial photo of the park...

Shot0062.jpg.77d990f399f2b7aeda38bc7e76996359.jpg

From the looks of it the park should be pretty good sized when the new areas open...Unfortunately thats about a year away . So until then I have to go.

~Micheal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I really like this park. I think it has a certain charm to it, especially with its small size. Whens the next update coming?

Thanks! Sorry for the long wait... This update took a while, and with finals taking place I just didn't have any free time. Anyways, the next update is coming right now! I finally finalized it, however it should also be noted that there isn't an Intamin 1st-Gen drop tower... I took it out because it kept crashing the game, to make up for that I've planned to add an Intamin gyro-drop in somewhere along the line (Particularly in the late 90's). Now on to the latest trip report.

Hey, Michael here! It's finally here! Opening day 1983 (4/30/83) and wow. Just wow. The new coaster totally outdid all of my expectations, its smooth, its forceful, and its jaw-droppingly fast for its size. It also puts a lot of people through for a coaster that can only run two cars. The theming around adds to the mine-town feeling although it kind of feels like the park shoehorned it onto the existing midway, it would've been much more realistic if they had expanded out instead of adding on... It was also fairly cluttered and loud since the coaster rushes right along besides the ride exit which can also lead to some very unpleasant loudness in the queue as well as the bathrooms near the exit...

The other new addition, Kiddieland, was equally amazing the GP preferred the massive Fun Slide and the Flying Carpets, while personally I thought the Antique Cars were some of the best and most unique I've ever ridden especially in such a compact layout...

Now onto pictures!

Shot0085.jpg.66c31b3879781950ffeb025fb650c6b6.jpg

Driving in the Observation Tower and Mine Train Trouble dominate the skyline, with Wooden Warrior barely visible... With the cityscape in the backround this park must have one of the most picturesque entrances in theme park history. I honestly hope the park chooses not to crowd the skyline with big rides, it would ruin the entrance.

Shot0092.jpg.07e7287078a5509954859da51451eab6.jpg

Well, the parking lot is completely filled! That's a good sign for Carolina Coast.

Shot0093.jpg.f90dac98be8a1e5320e0f7c7513afaf1.jpg

Shot0091.jpg.82f5639a990b18baa4a1e771cf003e32.jpg

Though by the looks of it with the new construction efforts the parking lot will have a much harder time filling than it does now

Shot0094.jpg.101f61ff28a3d798e05c8dee5e6fe400.jpg

First looking down KiddieLand, its not quite as wooded as the rest of the park... Hmm, thats strange. I guess the developers thought the sun would get kids more worn out or something. Anyways, as you can see the GIANT Fun Slide is on the left with seperate bathrooms built underneath. Its a wild ride for the kiddies, but it's still nothing compared to the Flying Carpets on the right (Not pictured, hidden behind trees and shrubbery).

Shot0076.jpg.1723ffbbd65005942cdb01779e77a61c.jpg

Surprisingly it was actually this ride that had the longest line of today (A total surprise), however according to park officials this was caused by the rides atrocious capacity and VERY long loading time...

Shot0074.jpg.fe996f23b62a87bab0b9e48e623187fc.jpg

The Antique Cars (And Fun House, which isn't pictured because I absolutely hate the unrealistic mood killing look of it) which are just down the midway from the Flying Carpets had little-no line all day though, which is incredibly surprising since it has a very low intensity rating and is perfect for the kiddies... (The Fun House also had no line because I didn't give it one, because I hate it... I only used it to fill in the space between the Flying Carpets and the Antique Cars, it may or may not be there next year depending on how much it ends up infuriating me)

Shot0080.jpg.c6082f89c0e4d2ea033521a1b99001f1.jpg

I also took a picture of the new area from atop the Observation Tower, please divert your attention away from the generic eyesore that is the Fun House.

Shot0089.jpg.37c73820506d8ce4155bfd01dc503a47.jpg

From the looks of it though, the park has plans to expand this area or maybe even add a new themed area...

Alright. Well. This is what we've all been waiting for...

Shot0070.jpg.9e0d9107afa03be76abd27c55ec6b6e0.jpg

Here it is in all its glory! The new M&P Mining area!

Shot0071.jpg.8e9d9403c6f1d7c7bc569fec5cac4d3d.jpg

There isn't a line either! That's awesome, but weird for a new coaster...

Shot0084.thumb.jpg.96ff1b570e11ef7d4f350abb6a29fdee.jpg

Here's some lift hill porn for you lift hill enthusiasts... It's pretty standard, especially for a Schwarzkopf. (Thought I did add quite a few small details that a lot of people leave out, such as a lift motor and a chain feedback system)

Shot0069.jpg.5fc5bb7823649ae86757ac0f1313908a.jpg

And here's the only good picture I ended up getting of Miner's Nightmare, those woods you see are very thick and keep the ride completely hidden from the path, which is great for the feel of the ride... Not so much for picture taking though...

Shot0086.jpg.210aba38fb3369f1d610973bfb9fef91.jpg

While we're on views from the Observation Tower I also got a great view of Mine Train Trouble, as you can see the coaster comes VERY close to the pathway during one of the coaster's most intense parts... Not very great noise control, but makes for amazing interaction...

Shot0083.jpg.91336effaf8ad15b58afdfef15d1d752.jpg

Once I got back down from the Observation Tower I noticed something strange... The Tilt-a-Whirl actually has a line. Amazing. I guess crowds were intense today.

Shot0075.jpg.d8c5e04ef502425b4d63850bb9de39c3.jpg

Turbo-Looper also has a line, not unusual in any way.

Shot0095.jpg.62343c64e4669038711d9e7e8f1e08f7.jpg

One final look down the midway, before moving on

Shot0079.jpg.4e7b6954089734ad5773651468cd7760.jpg

Wooden Warrior's team was pumpin' people out... I think this was the first time that the coaster actually hit its theoretical capacity. Way to go Wooden Warrior!

Shot0082.jpg.c964d665c10af3ada8410ba0080e0970.jpg

Mine Train Trouble is also close to its theoretical capacity of 1500 PPH, not bad for it's opening day!

Shot0081.thumb.jpg.666b67befe4835c9146a287776c63ae5.jpg

Wooden Warrior will always be the park's Classic Coaster though

Shot0090.jpg.e8501d061eceb6489748e44a5c3666de.jpg

The Ferris Wheel will also be a classic too... Even if the GP don't quite feel the same.

Well... That's all I got before I ran out of film . Overall it was a very fun day at the park... If a little hectic and crowded, but none-the-less very enjoyable... However, it is my opinion that the park itself is inflating its name to the point that the park itself can't handle it (Basically saying its a small park with a very well known name and large crowds). I hope a much larger expansion occurs before the GP get fed up with large crowds and too few rides, however if the management keeps procrastinating and putting things in after they're need instead of installing and expanding WITH the park then I feel the park itself might suffer and the crowds in the park might reach an all time high...

(Also I hope management has a plan for re-doing the parks entrance because as today proved it can no longer handle the traffic that large crowds bring.)

~Signed

A very tired Michael

5/2/83- So just as I've done after every opening day since I moved here... Yesterday I went to the library and looked for some aerial photographs of the 2 expansions... And they weren't there, which was strange. So I asked the librarian where I could find them because it seemed they'd been moved. Apparently the city decided to move permit submissions, concept art, and aerial photographs into City Hall. Which is unfortunately on the other side of town, so instead of having the pictures yesterday, I have them today...

Shot0078.jpg.ecf33e51f3bb246adb51d77a5def9314.jpg

To start out, here is an almost identical picture of Miners Nightmare... I'm pretty sure management took this from atop the Observation Tower.

Shot0087.jpg.59045328407e86fd03c40fb386fa6e8a.jpg

They also had this picture from a different angle, which shows the theming a lot better than the previous picture...

Shot0098.jpg.3fa1ae20ee7d4b79bf9319441bb93e4e.jpg

They also had a great picture of Mine Train Trouble which shows its layout more clearly (It was supposed to be a Schwarzkopf Silver Arrow, but RCT3 just would not allow that design to happen)

Shot0088.jpg.c74a5f7e0b61bafbf56197e18da0a310.jpg

I really like this picture of KiddieLand because it shows all of the rides very clearly, especially the Antique Cars layout.

Shot0096.jpg.f3e92b3d8113776990ee9f90d010d5fb.jpg

Shot0097.jpg.8b262dc3921094a1da425c7624f24dca.jpg

And of course there are the park-view photos... My-oh-my how the park is growing up. Pretty soon it'll be able to compete with Carowinds.

~Michael...

As always, suggestions and comments are appreciated and welcomed! Can't wait to see what surprises and TWISTS come next year....

Ahh! This park is gorgeous!

The layout & small-sized charm is truly unique. I simply can not get enough. KiddieLand is 100% perfect, I especially love the conservative use of the bathroom underneath the Slide. The M&P mining area was a great investment. Mine Train Trouble is short & sweet, with some decent theming. An excellent thrill coaster choice. Miner's Nightmare fits so snug into the tick vegetation, I really like that look. This should turn out to be a excellent year for attendance, hopefully profits will break even.

Just keep doing what you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

1547318493_newspaper(2).jpg.15fd1034aa0a6c0c83a6b65cb95f5005.jpg

Earlier today the owner of Carolina Coast Park, Don Karlton (63), passed away due to stage 4 Lung Cancer most likely brought on by his heavy cigarette usage.

The future of his amusement park remains uncertain at the time of publishing, it has been said that current management will hold onto the park for the rest of the year, but after that it may be sold off to a larger brand.

Well this is depressing... Fortunately my mom was home early enough for me to head over and take a few pictures for what might be the last time Carolina Coast Park has its gates open ( )

Shot0099.jpg.0452840f725836c8f9f1264c89cf672c.jpg

Classic. No other way to describe this entrance

Shot0100.jpg.7f19f7e5c11b585b40a1fa66c593a0b1.jpg

The gardens are looking amazing as always . Tree coverage is thicker than I remember though...

Shot0101.jpg.c1139fc6fbb082eab8ff7820e1329bb3.jpg

Mmm, fresh asphalt (Not a bad thing in this case, this place needs more parking)

Shot0102.jpg.2b44fb5244efda61b2cd1d3d08567d4a.jpg

The old carousel... Rumor has it that this oldie might not be here if management sells off the park

Shot0103.jpg.2375d6c6916a27bf30eb8824c37759f3.jpg

Interior Shot at Mine Train Trouble. The theming at the new rides is insanely good, hope whoever buys out the park keeps up with the new theming changes (Hint! Hint! )

Shot0104.jpg.2553535dc0883cb47a81617c8f69eefa.jpg

The ghostly picnic area, the other one was demolished to expand the parking lot. I hope that management chooses to keep this one up, it adds to the small park charm this place has!

Shot0105.jpg.d929c5aa9113f570b21edaac0f928ebb.jpg

KiddieLand! Its rumored that the Fun House is already slated for demolition (WHooo), however management or the new owners will be the judge of that...

Shot0106.jpg.81028e32594a91d0f50309078fdfea2f.jpg

Today the fabled 3rd train on Wooden Warrior was running! A very rare sight indeed, and from what I've heard from the ride attendants, an absolute ride-killer...

Shot0107.jpg.c6c0f386e5add0549d8bed46ec0a8f1f.jpg

Miner's Nightmare with a full line, as well as a good view of the immensely popular Root Beer stand. (Home of the delicious Aviator Rootbeer)

Shot0109.jpg.a7d0de43444f8a45056a754c0d6bded4.jpg

And of course to end what might be the final day at Carolina Coast Park heres the iconic view from below the Observation Tower during sunset. A beautiful ending to a melancholy day.

Shot0108.jpg.5620ad73ed15956605a70e1ffbe173fc.jpg

(Heres a view from the other side of the under-construction parking lot...)

Carolina Coast Park's, Buyers announced!

42044375_FuntimeParksInc.jpg.62fd8abd597a982229946842c557cdb6.jpg

According to the park's now previous CFO, negotiations took place with several amusement companies such as Six Flags, Cedar Point, Kings Entertainment Company, Kennywood Inc, as well as Silver Dollar City Inc. However in a bizarre twist of events the parks management decided to sell the park to Funtime Parks Inc, owner of Geauga Lake and Darien Lake. Funtime plans to keep the park with all of its current attractions and give it a new, redesigned entrance as well as the planned expanded parking lot. They also plan to move opening day from April 30th to May 25th to effectively give the park an extra month of operation.....

Guess that means I'll see you soon

Also, NEW LOGO! (Based on Darien & Geauga's 80's logos)

Carolina Coast Logo (1984).bmp

Edited by Cmbgo12

Funtime Parks Inc. This shall be interesting. Although, I thought you needed three pieces of media to update a thread.

Otherwise - awesome change of events. This park has infinite potential with it's new owners. The small park feel shouldn't be effected to much with this rather conservative owner.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the wait, but 1984 is finally here!

May 25, 1984 Hello, so this is the first year that the corporation Funtime Parks has control of Carolina Coast and so far they have exceeded expectations... Most of the rides recieved paint in the off-season so the entire park has a fresh glow to it that was missing on my last visit.

Shot0123.jpg.22ebb54671a5390a599d71a60a06501a.jpg

The new entrance definitely changes the atmosphere of the park, it feels more fun and less traditional

Shot0124.jpg.8f1901a7ff523c86e01ad04ae9b021d4.jpg

Funtime pulled through on the parking lot with about 750 spaces available on any given day... Though it is less shaded than the original parking lot was

Shot0125.jpg.cf9c4bb1cf5ab5cb211cc65a5739064e.jpg

As part of the redesigned entrance the park received an auxillary entrance for groups or staff members, this reduced a lot of the congestion at the main entrance. Although the main entrance still seems very dated, hopefully the park gives it a facelift in the future.

Shot0126.jpg.5a7d8a9db23f38df873550a05e0270d0.jpg

In memory of the previous owner the park put in a small memorial with a plaque that gives information on the previous owner...

Shot0127.jpg.64c78ba7a7ebadf4b4b8ec27b9b06775.jpg

Now into the park!

Shot0129.jpg.cccae4e79a2017511c14e599d9b786d1.jpg

So in the off-season the new owners noticeably changed the design of the entrance. Instead of having a square with an oak tree in the middle, there is now just two straight paths that lead from the entrance to the "rear" of the park with the areas for rides, bathrooms, and the picnic pavilion branching off. This keeps the wooded small park feel while improving foot traffic flow

Shot0130.jpg.22d2bfffe8de6d7ce3f0973182c820c4.jpg

Kiddieland! Looks almost identical to the way it did last year, but the Fun House was replaced with a Philadelphia Toboggan Company tea-cups ride.

Shot0133.jpg.5e918ad64204b8ef88dfe2749d8aaf6d.jpg

The Ferris Wheel also got a redesigned entrance this year that is shorter and more shaded... It was also repainted with Orange gondolas instead of ugly Green

Shot0134.jpg.b10ed0b63d3508e5550c88a0c4105e63.jpg

Mine Train Trouble still looks the same as it did last year... And since the park has been open for about an hour or so, lets go see how the the new parking lot looks with cars in it!

Shot0135.jpg.d2cdffad2074716dafe8d5d61dbaacfd.jpg

Apparently everyone in Wilmington now drives a Ford Sedan or a Toyota Minivan... Hmm

Shot0137.jpg.6941a7691de9dd39ca22200c98d2c422.jpg

The new tea cups seem to be a success, they even rivaled the Flying Carpets on line length for a while...

Shot0138.jpg.f5f4888877c2433a74632b9fc577dc13.jpg

Wooden Warrior is still a huge crowd draw, though it seems like the park sold its third train off. Not really a bad thing with CCP's nearly spotless maintenance record and Wooden Warriors crowd eating abilities.

Shot0139.jpg.054b97cde4bab012e7fa68db3af84584.jpg

And the Everly Loop-o-Plane still has a terrible capacity. WoW

Shot0140.jpg.803a16b31ff36ad27b30d27b80430e46.jpg

Don't let MTT's line size fool you, believe it or not it actually had the highest attendance of the day giving nearly 15000 rides!

Shot0141.jpg.556878f77a97a2a7e1c19c1c27db3793.jpg

There go a happy train of riders now!

Shot0142.jpg.4335fffb113acbf5fef57268df366a0e.jpg

Opening day crowds in front of the tilt-a-whirl and Turbo Looper

Shot0143.jpg.ae66a3c3c2ec81ccb60f37fa10f1c8eb.jpg

Opening day crowds in Kiddieland

Shot0145.jpg.ff12c0b836248a8922a28073876ceb6d.jpg

And a slightly random picture of the top of MTT's station... And that concludes the trip report from opening day 1984! Oh yeah, on the way out I also picked up a postcard!

Shot0146.jpg.6f58c470054e8b03a4503c1427f5815d.jpg

Awesome Shot!

August 25, 1984 Hey, Michael here. So today since I was bored out of my mind I decided to head over to Carolina Coast and see if the park had any plans for 1985... Take a look

Shot0147.jpg.8a61e92cf962d6700996c0b4676d07b6.jpg

Wonder what thats hinting at?

Shot0148.jpg.e08ec81a4bb28bfa384a821436da2926.jpg

Well, through the trees it looks like we may get bumper cars. Those are electric so maybe?

Shot0149.jpg.1485765081d3c1e12ffc934dfe5ac251.jpg

But wait, whats this? Looks to be some sort of station.

Shot0150.jpg.f7255790ebadded592e29a6121fae8dd.jpg

Looks like the park is going to expand quite a bit in the coming years so stay tuned, because 1985 is going to hertz...

An arrow mega-looper? Hmmm. I do LOVE these coasters, but the sheer size of this compared to the rest of the park has me worried it will destroy the whole "small & secluded" atmosphere. Well, Funtime must have big bucks to risk such a pricey investment on a small park such as this. I can only hope for the best!

An arrow mega-looper? Hmmm. I do LOVE these coasters, but the sheer size of this compared to the rest of the park has me worried it will destroy the whole "small & secluded" atmosphere. Well, Funtime must have big bucks to risk such a pricey investment on a small park such as this. I can only hope for the best!

I wouldn't worry about the environment of Carolina Coast changing, the biggest concern with the new coaster is weather the eighties color scheme will be ugly or not...

Honestly though, I'm trying my hardest to keep the park with the same atmosphere it had when it opened until the early 2000's... Because we all know which corporation took over Funtime Parks around then