Custom models of Sheikra, TTD, Insane and now Manta!

Pg 32 - Manta Complete. 30+ pictures. Thanks for following!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:46 am

Jack Rimer wrote:Keep building and take solace in the fact that there are people who understand the work and dedication needed to tackle such an ambitious project.

Ditto, to Jack's comment, and keep posting here. I love models of just about anything, and these are impressive. I barely had the nerve to cut apart HO models at age 18, let alone scratch build something like your projects.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Jack Rimer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:00 am

Yeah, I respect ANY coaster model. Roller coasters are inherintly difficult to recreate in miniature. There are not many models out there so when I see one, I find it intriguing.
A lot of the guys who used to build coaster models no longer do it (Chris Brewer and Chris Gray for instance). Fortunately, there are enough videos and pictures on the internet of model coasters that you can use them as a good reference. When I was 12 and trying to build a working Kennywood Thunderbolt model out of N gauge railroad track, I was just winging it. Consequently, it never worked.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:37 am

I kinda expected Dragster to be a bit taller, but either way, you did an excellent job! Keep up the good work!

And about the whoops comment, I asked a question that someone else already asked.

PS: I can't wait to see the finished Insane model.

Can take balls to the face

Postby paintballer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:54 am

Looks great! I remember when I made a Wooden coaster out of popsicle sticks. That was hard, god only knows how hard TTD was!

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 am

The Sheikra model is amazing! I could never have built anything like that or have the time. I'm going to college for business & management & want to work my way up in the amusement park industry as well!
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:50 pm

I really appreciate all the feedback I am getting on this ride and I am glad everyone likes them. They are all I can do now since I can't have the real thing (for now!!).

^^^Dragster is almost 3 feet tall if I remember correctly. I haven't been home in a long time and I have forgotten the measurements, but if I can recall right it should be around 3'.

^^Popsicle sticks haha, that is awesome!! It would be cool if you could do it that way. I bet you could make a pretty rad Thompson Switchback Railway with them.

^Business is where its at. I wanted to do engineering, but upon talking to many of the companies I realized that was a pretty niche career field. That, the fact calculus isn't the most thrilling thing in the world, and I only speak english and spanish are all the reasons I switched to business. Can you say business partner?!

OK, on too the update! Today as well as yesterday, I finished the inside rails which I think are going to be the most difficult part. From here, I will add little cross pieces between the two rails with some angle ones that hold the track together in straighter lines. You will notice in one of the pictures that the two aren't exactly parallel, but the addition of those pieces will pull them together and help make it better! Thanks for reading. I will continue to update as I progress through the ride!
090311_143326.jpg
This is what I completed last night. It only has a single rail.
090312_172708.jpg
Now it has two!
090312_172722.jpg
See what a a complicated mess this is dragging a solid copper wire through!
090312_172743.jpg
Here you can see the rails deviate slightly. I will fix this next!

It all started with a donkey

Postby the ghost » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:28 pm

The coaster looks awesome, but your DVD collection needs some work, lol. :lmao:

The Vantage Point Sucks Ghost

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Wow, this is really awesome stuff dude! I used to build model airplanes from scratch (radio control), so I can relate to how much time this took you! Have you considered making a working model yet?

Also, try plastruct. It's a little pricey, but it's awesome stuff. You heat it up with a blow-dryer and it becomes bendable, then you let it cool in to it's final shape and it goes back to it's original sturdyness. Might want to give it a try if you go large scale.

Nice work again!

Oh my cherries!

Postby gotdane » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Crazy cool dude! Can't wait to see what models you make over time!

I love the Sheikra one!

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:27 am

^^^Haha that is not all my movies, its just the ones I had room for up here. I have a tiny little desk, that already is a mess, and I am lacking room for more movies. Plus who needs movies when you have pov's?

^^Thanks. I have been given the suggestion of building with styrene next time instead of balsa wood and dowels and I will definitely look into different building materials the next coaster. Whatever it may be! Regarding the working model though, I would be all about it but I do not know how to make the little cars, lifts, etc. Maybe I'll look into it though.

And I used to live in Sarasota by the way, that is where the obsession came from!

^Thanks

Update- No pictures this time, but I got a lot of work done. The rails are now tied together with hundreds of little pieces. Tomorrow I will get the rest of the little pieces in and some pictures as well. Thanks for all the comments, and look forward to what you have to say!

Jordan "When can I own a big and real coaster?" Darrington

PreviousNext

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness