WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

P. 180 - Star Wars: Behind The Wall Sneak Preview!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Enjoying the hot Scottish summer!

Postby Chrissie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:35 pm

My first reaction was awesome. I LOVE American Idol BUT im kinda with everyone else here, its a good concept but definitely a few years to late. Plus, it will be full of pushy mothers who will be angry when the kids don't get through!
:mickey:

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby jackskellington101 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:44 pm

*head to wall* I couldn't believe that rumor when it first came out. It seemed just too crazy and too dumb to be true. I still don't want to believe this press release, like it's some mistake. As a heartfelt fan of Disney's product in the amusement and theme park industry, this news deeply saddens me. This, in my humble opinion, is probably one of the worst directions they could have taken.

[rant]
This decision optimizes to me the fundamental problem in decision making for planning and development of these parks, especially Walt Disney World. This is not a long term decision. This is barely a short term decision. This can barely be considered a decision. This is a waste of money. The show has a mass appeal, that is undeniable, but as an attraction I just can not see it working.

I can understand the logic that went into planning, the though of "oh, this is just Millionaire II". But by human nature, it doesn't work that way. AllenA07 said it best:
AllenA07 wrote:I bet the park is going to have a hard time getting people brave enough to get up there and do this.

I wholeheartedly agree. With Millionaire at least every had some sort of even chance. The way it was structured, everyone felt equal when playing and when you happened to get into the hot seat, you did so over others, so your confidence was boosted in getting that far. Dry picking from the audience in a competition like this will be extremely difficult and probably not very fruitful. I do not envy any cast member having to work this attraction. I, personally, don't share Rasulo's sentiment that "there's enough talent on any given day in our theme parks to keep people entertained". Functionally, this has the potential to be very disastrous. Like Fear Factor Live: Dead Celebrity Edition disastrous.

Another issue I have with this is that no matter what they say in the release, this is promoting a competitor's product. There is no way around it. Yes, the product is owned by 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia, but the public associates the product with Fox television. End of story. You can try to spin it all you want, but go out and ask anyone what they associate with American Idol and you will more than likely get Fox. I think that is going to confuse people more than anything else. Yes, it can be argued that a number of other attractions (Star Tours, Indy, Tower, Rock N' Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride) are all using licenses and products that are competing products to Disney, but their competition is not as direct as American Idol. ABC doesn't have to fight the Twilight Zone every week for ratings. Outside of Star Wars Weekends, people generally don't put the Disney brand and Jedi's together in the same sentence. I may be inexperienced in the ways of business and deals, but this, to me, just seems like bad business. I can not easily see a good side to this outside the realm of "at least that space is finally being used again". At least, it's being used for now.
[/rant]

*deep breath* Well, I feel a little better. :p

mcjaco wrote:I think this is the first time I can say Disney is behind the times on this one. I think it's about four years too late.

Although they were slow with Who Wants To Be A Millionare too. These live shows never do it for me.

To be honest, they're behind the times a lot, but that's a nature of the beast type thing. It's difficult to make an attraction right when something is huge, unless that place is earmarked for it from the get go. The only time to my memory of that plan being set into motion is Dinosaur, and we know that worked perfectly...yeah. The quickest I can think of from successful movie to successful ride/show was the turn around for Nemo where Turtle Talk came into play a year later. It seems to be a general rule to not go into motion on construction of something until you know it's a sure fire hit because you will be stuck with a major construction cost and the license you hope to build will then fall to pieces. For the greatest example of this, see Dick Tracy. Disney wanted that to be their next big license. Didn't work that way. So, it becomes the "Better safe then sorry" mentality. Though, I do agree they definitely have completely missed the curve on this one. Another aspect of my dislike, but my ranting is over currently.

RapidsNerd summed up my ideas perfectly:
TheRapidsNerd wrote:I don't like American Idol and I don't like this idea for the park. Nuff said.

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:58 pm

I would watch this show, only to see the terrible singers.

Next thing you know, we'll have "Hanna Montana 4-D." :)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby scruffy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:30 pm

BarryH wrote:I would watch this show, only to see the terrible singers.

Next thing you know, we'll have "Hanna Montana 4-D." :)

Please don't give Disney any ideas. I have to watch that show when I baby sit sometimes.

Give me Disney, or give me death!

Location: Waiting to take a bulldozer into Extreme Makeover: DCA

Postby America Sings Freak » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:33 pm

If this is the way that Jay Rasulo wants to run Disney's themeparks we should all want for him to be removed and John Lasseter or Tony Baxter replace him. Now that seems like a good themepark decision for Disney!
(rant)
If Iger had any sense he would have gotten rid of Rasulo when he brought in John Lasseter. I can see the whole Michael Eisner crew leaving and frankly I am happy that there are only very few of them left. With Rasulo gone most of our biggest problems would be over. We all know how well his years of millions of dreams is going now don't we?
(end of rant)

I think with a few good changes in management we would never have had this idea in the first place. Here's to hoping that it does not make it off the drawing board and something more useful takes up that area. :mickey: :mickey:

Coaster Count: 49

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:03 pm

I don't think I'd waste precious WDW time on this attraction, not even to say that I'd experienced it.

That being said, this is a hugely popular show. But, I wish they'd build something with more long term appeal. This is going to be a quick 'n dirty job.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Yeah I really don't understand this. I agree with the others that have said this is too late. Millionaire, Fear Factor, now this...all Live Shows started once the main show was way past its prime!

This is totally promoting another networks product.

The prize is stupid (more stupid than pins!)

I don't want to be forced to listen to crappy people sing.

Ugh, I just REALLY don't like this. :(

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:09 pm

I love the idea....it means more goobers in line for the show and fewer in line for TOT!!

AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Echoing the "few years too late" bandwagon. If this debuted back in 2004 or 2005, it would be a hit of sorts. Thankfully, at least its not Hannah Montana, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hannah Montana takes over that theater after this attraction is gone.

But yeah, it feels out of place and the American Idol show is just getting old.
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Any attraction that makes Fear Factor Live look good is OK by me! :lolr:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!