WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

P. 180 - Star Wars: Behind The Wall Sneak Preview!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:13 am

TheRapidsNerd wrote:Hmm...disturbing new trend here. Take out back lot tours/movie/tv history in favor of expansion. Read that Universal demoed the Golden Girls set and some other stuff to put in a stunt show.

Granted, a park's gotta change, but this makes me feel funny. And not the funny like climbing the rope in gym class either.

Even when the park was still a "working" studio, the backlot tour was basically just killing time until the tram got to Catastrophe Canyon. Using this space for something new is essential, I think.

I love the front section of this park, but the back isn't very inspiring.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:33 am

cfc wrote:
TheRapidsNerd wrote:Hmm...disturbing new trend here. Take out back lot tours/movie/tv history in favor of expansion. Read that Universal demoed the Golden Girls set and some other stuff to put in a stunt show.

Granted, a park's gotta change, but this makes me feel funny. And not the funny like climbing the rope in gym class either.

Even when the park was still a "working" studio, the backlot tour was basically just killing time until the tram got to Catastrophe Canyon. Using this space for something new is essential, I think.

I love the front section of this park, but the back isn't very inspiring.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree here, Chuck. When the park first opened, I actually really enjoyed the backstage tour. While I agree that some of the tram portion does seem like filler by today's standards, it was mostly enjoyable back then. Now, of course, with today's movie audience generally being much more familiar with movie making methods due to countless "makings of," and "behind the scenes" on loaded special edition DVDs, etc., some of the aura of the backstage tour portion wouldn't hold up now.

However, I still feel that people would generally love to be emersed in the movie making process if done correctly. I would hate to see a place with "Studios" in their name fully abandon the "Studio" aspect. I probably wouldn't mind them doing away with the tram portion as long as they could provide a great interactive walkthrough environment. It would, perhaps, be pretty nice to see a great new thrill ride added in some of the "dead" space back there though.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby resonancej » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am

Heh, you gotta laugh at the corporate spin doctors. :) Press release translation: "our contract with MGM ran out so we had to think of something to call it that wasn't Disney Studios", which would have been just fine, but Disney's Hollywood Studios? I don't hate the name, but it will take some getting used to I'll give them that. The next thing they need to do is completely gut the great movie ride and put something else there.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:57 am

Ummm.. actually it was Disney that had the Golden Girls set

Ah. Thank you. :) Couldn't remember which park.

Yeah, I'm just a little bummed because I liked seeing the sets and props, even if they weren't in the best of shape.

The only thing that worries me is if there's a natural progression from getting rid of more gentle rides (tin lizzies, studio tours, etc.) to getting rid of things like the rapids rides, particularly the older ones with no drops. Dunno how true the Hershey Park rumor is, but hope that isn't the case.

The next thing they need to do is completely gut the great movie ride and put something else there.

They may need to update the movies in there, but (sniff) I'll miss getting drooled on by the alien in the ceiling. Good times, good times.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby haiderodes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:19 am

Let us not forget that Disney MGM Studios was the place where one of my favorite TV shows was taped in front of a live studio audience...MMC aka The All New Mickey Mouse Club! Haha...dork moment.

I think most people are over the fact that the studios no longer have production, but it would at least be nice to see some attractions put into that space that they have back there.

I just wanna see the hat go the way of the wand.
walking in space.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby coastermaniac » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:39 am

"Disney's Hollywood Studios"? that just doesn't sound right...I like MGM better.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby scruffy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:59 pm

I believe that both Disney/MGM and USF abandoned the idea of being actual working studios long ago...now they are just theme parks.

I was told that USF still was a actual working studio. Its in that area behind Twister.

I forgot what show was filming last year but something was going on.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Tiburon503 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:56 pm

AFAIK, TNA iMPACT (pro-wrestling) is the only working production at USF.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:00 am

Well, Disney Hollywood Studios' new ride will definately get people talking. You know, "Honey I Shrunk the Studio Tour." Then there's "Honey I Blew Up the Back Lot" slated to go in shortly there after. ;)

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby JT3000 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:28 am

Holtskee wrote:I believe that both Disney/MGM and USF abandoned the idea of being actual working studios long ago...now they are just theme parks.

Universal still hosts productions on a semi-regular basis

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!