Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Update: Australia 2011!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Postby SharkTums » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Another great trip down memory lane! It's crazy how many of those Japanese parks are now gone and how much some of them have changed. I'm ready to go back to Japan now please!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:09 am

^Me, too. I'm glad I got to visit Space World, and I'm a bit worried about Parque Espana.

My thanks to you and Robb for making it all possible.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:07 am

Great report! That's a funky looking support structure on the corkscrews on the looper at Central Park.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:35 am

So many parks in Japan that I wish I could have gone to/still wish to go to. But grateful I have at least visited some of what you noted. Love the brevity to this!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:57 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! That's a funky looking support structure on the corkscrews on the looper at Central Park.

That's because it's a funky Togo loopscrew.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:17 am

Fantastic update. . loving seeing all these pics.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Eh, at least I'm not a Jew!

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:55 pm

cfc wrote:Image
One bonus photo--me sampling the awesome Texas Select! That's all for 2007 Japan. We will return.

CHUCK!! This is GREAT! You even got me to post... which is as unheard of as -- heck, I don't even know!!. I miss everyone. Except for Joey :lmao: I miss the trips! So many of my absolute favorite memories could end up in this thread!
-Dan
"Life is an astounding journey"

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:58 am

^Yes! Dan has surfaced! The amazing power of Texas Select! Wasn't that swill about $1.98 /six pack? :lmao:

Eh, at least I'm not a Jew!

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:29 am

cfc wrote:^Yes! Dan has surfaced! The amazing power of Texas Select! Wasn't that swill about $1.98 /six pack? :lmao:

I don't remember! I just know we bought it as a joke -- we didn't expect anyone to actually drink it!

Good times!
-Dan
"Life is an astounding journey"

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Europe 2008

Who's ready to fly into Paris for another great TPR trip?

000.jpg

Yes we started and ended this tour in the City of Lights--a beautiful place with absolutely insane traffic. I got to climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe, cruise on the Seine, and hobnob with the gargoyles of Notre Dame (where I also had the best ice-cream cone ever at a little place across the street from the famous church).

And, of course, we visited a lot pf parks of all different kinds in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany. I learned a number of things about European theme parks during this trip, too. For example:

1. There are parks that can rival and, sometimes, top the Disney parks. Europa Park in Germany is the best park in Europe (and one of the best in the world).

2. Paris Disneyland is beautiful and has a number of good attractions (particularly Big Thunder Mountain and Phantom Manor). But it's not the best of the Magic Kingdoms. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed myself there immensely, but when it comes to customer service, it's no Tokyo Disney. That being said, I'm looking forward to visiting it again, someday.

3. Walt Disney Studios, while hardly a great park, was a bit better than I'd expected. Now that it's had a chance to grow a bit, I'd like to visit it again.

4. There are worse coasters than SLCs in the world: Movie Park's Bandit and Walygator's Ananconda, for instance.

5. The food at most European theme parks, particularly Europa, is much better than the park fare in the U.S.

6. Some of the quirkier European parks offer plenty of opportunities to hurt yourself. C'est la vie!

On to the photos. Like last time, I'm sticking to the two-photo rule, with a few exceptions.
001 Jardin.jpg
We kicked things off at Jardin d'Acclimatation, a beautiful little park in Paris. It had a few eccentric family coasters . . .
002 Jardin.jpg
. . . and a few opportunities to injure yourself. This pattern will repeat as the trip goes on.
003 Asterix.jpg
Next up was Parc Asterix, which offered some interesting views . . .
004 Asterix.jpg
. . . and one of the worst crimes ever committed against humanity. (Well, we probably deserve it.)
005 Walibi Belgium.jpg
Walibi Belgium was a bit "generic," but it did have some interesting merch, especially if you like ties that stare and smile.
006 Walibi Belgium.jpg
The park also an enclosed Schwarzkopf shuttle loop, which was pretty cool, and a great shooting dark ride with fire (Challenge of Tutankhamon).
006a Adventure Parc.jpg
Let's not forget Adventure Parc near Walibi Belgium, . . .
006b Adventure Parc.jpg
. . . where I learned I'm not all that adventurous.
006c Bobbejaan.jpg
Remember, at Bobbejaanland, no one, but no one, messes with Speedy Bob's wheelbarrow!
006d Bobbejaan.jpg
This was also my first "Bench: The Ride" experience (aka, El Paso Special).
007 Toverland.jpg
Toverland's Troy was one of my favorite coasters dueing that trip, . . .
008 Toverland.jpg
. . . even though the Trojan Horse killed me.
009 Efteling.jpg
Efteling was definitely a Disney-type park--with the size to match.
009a Efteling.jpg
Lots of great dark rides, as well as Pegasus, a family wooden coaster that has since been replaced.
010 Efteling.jpg
Someone want to get that dude a magazine? I think he's going to be there a while.
011 Drievilet.jpg
Formule X at Drievilet was a great launched coaster. Maurer Shone redeemed itself with this ride.
012 Drievilet.jpg
Why, we even had a hoedown to celebrate.
012 Walibi World.jpg
This is park is no longer Walibi World (just Walibi or "Walibi Holland"). But Goliath is eternal (and awesome).
013 Walibi World.jpg
But one mast take the good with the bad--in this case, El Condor, the first-ever SLC. It looks appropriately sinister in this photo.
014 Heide.jpg
Heide's Colossos was a great Intamin woodie (ran really well in 2008).
015 Heide.jpg
I like the Knott's Berry Farm vibe of the park's old log flume. Alas, it's gone now.
016 Movie Park.jpg
Yes, I felt transported to Hollywood at Movie Park, . . .
017 Movie Park.jpg
. . . especially when I beheld the animal perversions of the Ice Age boat ride.
018 Schlossbeck.jpg
If you were going to injure yourself, Schlossbeck was a good place to do it.
019 Schlossbeck.jpg
It's also had a rather puzzling castle full of odd dioramas. I felt I was in Japan for a moment. More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:04 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!