Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Update: Japan 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Postby Blue Turbo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:37 pm

Nice pictures, Chuck! This is where the nostalgia actually starts for me, since this was my first TPR tour! I had read many TRs and seen the Coaster Expedition videos, but I didn't really know what to expect the trip to be like. It was way more fun (and way more exhausting) than I could have imagined. Robb and Elissa's phenomenal job planning (and dealing with issues, I'm looking a you Satan's Lodge) and getting to know everyone on the trips is what makes TPR trips so much more than going to a bunch of parks and riding coasters. Very much looking forward to the next time I can do one!

Mr. October

Postby JimmyBo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:47 pm

I'm finally catching up on all these reports and I've come to realize something Chuck....YOU MUST BE RICH!!!! Seriously, how many trips have you been on?!?! But in all seriousness, if you know you want to go on a trip, then you can plan for it but it is really fun to see all your trip reports in a nutshell. I've always enjoyed reading your reports when you posted them rather soon after the trips because your commentary on the photos always cracks me up.

If I need a good laugh, I have a couple cocktails and then read a famous Chuck "cfc" Trip Report and I'll be aching in my side from laughing so much.

Jimmy "These pictures are great Chuck!!!" Bo
Do not believe this post!

90% of the time, I am sarcastic all the time...it's science!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 pm

And now I want NYC Pizza!!!

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:43 pm

Good times on the Coney-to-Coney tour, my second with TPR. The first half of that trip was exhausting. But at least Owensboro KY rolled out the red carpet for us.

Last rides on Python in Cincinnati for most of us, since that park has now closed down its dry side.

Two parks with Fascination in the span of a few days? That's as good as it gets, especially if you need a new crock pot.

If you skipped Ghost Hole, you made the right call.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR -- 2015 CP -- 2017 FL
Trip Reports: 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA -- 2019 CP -- 2019 Euro -- 2019 GC

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:01 pm

these updates have been fantastic, Chuck!

haven't had a lot of time to be active on the messageboards too much lately (work has been kicking my butt!). . . but I try to read thru your updates as soon as I see them.

they help make my day much better, and I've loved seeing the pics.

thanks so much for sharing!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Eh, at least I'm not a Jew!

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:21 pm

This was such a good trip! So many TPR tours stand out... but every time Chuck posts a new update in this thread, I find myself smiling and caught up in total wanderlust remembering how much FUN we all had! Even when "Adventure Tour" found a whole new meaning at Satan's Lodge that night... and Banshee nearly poked my eye out... I still look back on it and do nothing but smile and laugh! John and I even did a pre-trip to the two trips PLUS the add on! Crazy stuff. I miss you guys!
-Dan
"Life is an astounding journey"

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:25 pm

Thanks for all these great ongoing Retro Updates, Chuck. Brings back my own personal awesome memories of some of these tours we've shared, with Elissa, Robb, and Kristen. :smile:
B_12MeChuck_WndrRaku.jpg.jpg
Us in Wonder Rakutenchi park. 2007 Japan Tour.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby rubysparkles » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for these Chuck, really lovely to read. Especially as my first two trips have been covered (Japan 2013 and New Hotness 2014). Such amazing memories and your commentary is always hilarious.
Twisted Colossus, I305, Skyrush, Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Maverick.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 pm

West Coast Bash 2015

I had signed up for Japan (yes, again) in 2015, but my Dad's health was very iffy, so I decided to hold off from any big vacations. Long story short, Dad rallied, and I ended up taking a long weekend for West Coast Bash as my "TPR Trip" that year.

I guess this is technically cheating, but it's my thread, after all. ;) Who's up for a bit of Six Flags Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm, with a steaming portion of Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, and SeaWorld San Diego on the side? You do meet the most interesting people at these events.

000.jpg

Right, Erik?

West Coast Bash was fun, and I always enjoy the Knott's day, in particular. There's fried chicken, Boysenberry pie, and a sneak peek at Knott's Scary Farm.

Let's check in and get our swag.
001.jpg
Launched Premier coasters were all the rage that year, and SFMM was no exception.
002.jpg
Say it! Say it! You know you want to . . . YOLO!
003.jpg
I rather like Goliath, but I've never grayed out in its HELIX OF DEATH (I305 is another story).
004.jpg
But the real stars here are, of course, Elissa, KT, . . .
005.jpg
. . . and Twisted Colossus. It's very good when it doesn't duel and great when it does.
006.jpg
Here I am with two of the park's best staff members.
007.jpg
Good night, sweet YOLO COASTER!
008.jpg
I think this ride at Knott's Berry Farm was underrated by locals. How can you not enjoy seeing a "crab as big as a cow"?
009.jpg
This is the maintenance bay under the Sierra Sidewinder station. It's a clever use of space.
010.jpg
"As the riders loped on by him he heard one call his name.
If you want to save your soul from hell a-riding on our range,
Then cowboy change your ways today or with us you will ride,
Trying to catch the devil's herd, across these endless skies."
011.jpg
The new version of the Calico Mine Train shore was purty. I've loved this ride (and the log ride) at Knott's since I was a kid.
012.jpg
Personally, I eat my pie with a fork, but you know what enthusiasts can be like. ;)
013.jpg
It ain't no West Coast Bash till somebody gets shot.
014.jpg
We took a backstage tour of Blood on the Bayou, a Scary Farm maze. Just call me Papa Shango.
015.jpg
It's always nice to relax for a bit in the Sky Cabin . . .
016.jpg
. . . before Xcelerator tries to kill you!
016a.jpg
WCB is over, so it's time for the Disneyland Resort! Our first stop was Walt Disney's original Magic Kingdom, a place of dreams, fantasy, . . .
017.jpg
. . . and, it would seem, deadly toxins.
018.jpg
That's my brother Ward hanging on for dear life on the bottom. He joined us for a day at Disney.
019.jpg
Canadians love having Pixie Dust blown on them.
020.jpg
One does not simply go to Disneyland and not ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
021.jpg
"I find those who fail to ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride disturbing." More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:32 am.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:40 pm

On to DCA and SWSD!
022.jpg
This was my first look at the "new" Disney California Adventure.
023.jpg
Radiator Springs Racers was a great ride, and the whole area was impressive.
024.jpg
Time to hop back to DL for a little Big Thunder.
025.jpg
By then the park was very busy and full of goons!
026.jpg
We've hopped again. Try not to be confused. (I do like just being able to walk between the two parks at the DL Resort.)
027.jpg
As some of you probably know, I'm not a "flat-ride guy." But I like this one.
028.jpg
OK, the sun is setting on Radiator Springs.
029.jpg
Who needs lube?
030.jpg
Good night DCA. You're lookin' good.
031.jpg
I can't remember the last time I rode the original Haunted Mansion. Seems that I'm always there at the wrong time of the year for it, but I do love the Nightmare Before Christmas version.
032.jpg
I hear he's a gamblin' boogie man who don't play fair.
033.jpg
We arrived in California in the midst of drought; so, of course, it poured rain during our dive to SeaWorld San Diego.
034.jpg
After the torrential rain slacked off and stopped, we had a "private ERT" session on Manta, thanks to the tiny crowd that day.
034a.jpg
This little launched coaster is great--well themed and lots of fun. Nice work, Mack and SeaWorld!
035.jpg
So, Brad didn't wish to ride Journey to Atlantis with us, eh? He made his hidden agenda clear soon enough!
036.jpg
I prefer the walk-through SeaWorld aquariums to the shows.
037.jpg
Despite the rain, it was a successful visit to SeaWorld, . . .
038.jpg
. . . but a less-than-successful visit to Belmont Park. Looks like I'll have to ride the Giant Dipper some other day.
039.jpg
But the rain can't stop Pizza Port . . .
040.jpg
. . . and beer! That's all for now.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!