Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Update: China 2012!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Postby jlp94 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:35 am

Love it! I agree, Nemesis is still a fantastic ride and the best in the United Kingdom even today.

Mr. October

Postby JimmyBo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:49 am

Awesome stuff Chuck! I can't wait to see more. I've always enjoyed reading your trip reports because you put so much thought and wit into your descriptions of the photos as well as the story behind your trip. I still can't believe the first official trip was sooooo long ago. Thanks for the memories Chuck and i can't wait to see if you have any crazy pictures with me. HAHA

Jimmy "This is s great idea Chuck" Bo
Do not believe this post!

90% of the time, I am sarcastic all the time...it's science!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 pm

"Great Caesar's Ghost!," I love these! (Oops....did I age myself?!?!)

Firstly, I am SO happy that you were able to refrain from YOBBISHNESS at Lightwater Valley (Flamingo Land). ( No No NO! We did NOT see your karate kick to the sign! RIGHT, gang?!!)!

<<
Brer Rabbit's Burrow, which, unlike Splash Mountain, feature bunnies drinking beer, using the toilet, and gettin' it on. In your face, Disney
>>

Noted! Looks like those BUNNIES had a better time than that Easter celebration at Animal Crossing!

<<
Southport Playland's big attraction was their great, old-school fun house.
>>

That looks like a much less perilous experience than Steepchase's spinning disk! It rotated faster and faster until everybody in the center had been flung to the side. (So much so, that they had men & women go on it separately!)
https://mcnyblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/90_36_4_010_a.jpg ( Pic taken BEFORE MY TIME!!!)

<<Blackpool Pleasure Beach>>

I was there "a while" ago. Great fun! Stayed at a guesthouse with a sign outside that requested: NO fish and chips in your room! (Yes, I WAS a YOB! We brought back fish 'n chips to our room, having sneaked up the stairs while other 'residents' were watching the 'telly' in the lounge. :lmao:

Thanks Chuck for bringing us back in time.

ALICE

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby RCjunkie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:47 am

Nice thread concept Chuck, always entertaining coming from you. Hope you keep adding to it.
That was awesome.jpg
The good old days.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:30 pm

JimmyBo wrote: I still can't believe the first official trip was sooooo long ago.

You were just a kid!

Great idea Chuck
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:22 am

JimmyBo wrote:Awesome stuff Chuck! I can't wait to see more. I've always enjoyed reading your trip reports because you put so much thought and wit into your descriptions of the photos as well as the story behind your trip. I still can't believe the first official trip was sooooo long ago. Thanks for the memories Chuck and i can't wait to see if you have any crazy pictures with me. HAHA

Jimmy "This is s great idea Chuck" Bo

Hmm . . . I remember one crazy picture I have of you in Australia.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Japan 2007

000.jpg

If you get the chance to do only one TPR Trip during your life, make it to Japan. Heck, I've been there with TPR three times, and each visit has been great, even with the odd earthquake or, in the case of 2007, typhoon.

Of course, you can't go wrong with a few days at the Tokyo Disney Resort, and the pre-Harry Potter version of Universal Japan was great, too. But there are all the other fun or just downright quirky Japanese parks, some of which are gone for good. For example:

Space Park, where the great beyond was the goofiest final frontier of them all;

Uminonakamichi Seaside Park, which gave us an unexpected history of Japanese trains during our journey there, from bullet trains, to modern subway trains, to a train that would've looked at home in the first Godzilla movie; and

Wonder Rakutenchi, which I think is now gone (we were all kind of surprised that it was open when we got there--it's the perfect setting for a "Walking Dead" amusement park).

Other parks ran the gamut from the beautifully themed Parque Espana to great "traditional" amusement parks like Nagashima Spaland and Mitsui Greenland (and plenty of other little parks along the way).

I cheated a bit on the Tokyo Disney photos, as we spent a few days there--but can you really blame me for that? Otherwise, I stuck to the two-photos-per-park rule of this thread.

Welcome to Japan in 2007!
001 Hayanishiki.jpg
I arrived in Tokyo a day before the trip officially started. So, I joined the "Jeff Johnson Expedition" to Hayanshiki. This eccentric old park boasts the oldest roller coaster in Japan: the aptly named Roller Coaster. I think that "Angry Loan Shark" would be apprporiate, too. This ride kneecaps you like a Jersey Wise Guy if you miss an interest payment.
002 Hayanishiki.jpg
Here was an "oh god what have I gotten myself into" moment--yes, this enormous butt farts on you as you walk by.
003 Aqua Stadium.jpg
We had a night at Aqua Stadium, too, which was in the same building as our hotel (the Shinagawa Prince). This was the home of an indoor launched Intamin ride based on an anime called Galaxy Express.
004 Aqua Stadium.jpg
I think this ride is gone now, too, which means that these robot cops had to find new jobs.
005 LaQua.jpg
One must visit LQua to experience the Big O.
006 LaQua.jpg
This was also the home of GeoPanic, another coaster that confused a lot of people. This ride no longer exists.
007 Yomiuriland.jpg
2007 marked my only visit to Yomiuriland, but I wouldn't mind going back someday (fun place). This is a big, surprisingly good Togo coaster called Bandit.
008 Yomiuriland.jpg
We experienced the "wet" version of Bandit. Not only do they spray you with hoses during the ride, but they give bystanders Super Soakers! "Go go Bandit coaster!"
009 Space World.jpg
Space World's Venus boasted its very own Space Shuttle . . .
010 Space World.jpg
. . . and Space Bunny.
011 Uminonakamichi.jpg
Welcome to Uminonakamichi, a park I could never quite pronounce. This is Jet Coaster Super Dolphin, a Senyo creation.
012 Uminonakamichi.jpg
This park also offered plenty of opportunities to get wet.
013 Harmonyland.jpg
Harmonyland is the home of the mega adorable Hello Kitty franchise.
013a Harmonyland.jpg
It is also a shocking den of perversion, such as penguin spanking!
014 Wonder Rakutenchi.jpg
Come to Wonder Rakutenchi for the Jet Coaster . . .
015 Wonder Rakutenchi.jpg
. . . but stay for the duck races! (Yes, you get to bet on ducks here.)
016 Kajima.jpg
Ah, Kijima, the home of the first Intamin wooden coaster I ever rode! It was, er, not good. In fact, I thought it was going to bounce or jiggle us all to death before we reached the lift hill.
017 Kajima.jpg
The old "loopscrew" wasn't much better, but I loved this park's setting, and they had a funky walk-through haunted house and Zorbs.
018 Mitsui Greenland.jpg
I liked Mitsui Greenland a lot; in fact, it was my favorite non-Disney park of the trip, even though it was hot and humid as Hell on a bad day. All sorts of cool attractions, from dark rides to a haunt with a possessed toilet to Alpine slides to coasters that look like dinosaurs to . . .
019 Mitsui Greenland.jpg
. . . the infamous Chairlift of Death (note the cheese-greater-like chain link under it).
019a Central Park.jpg
Central Park had a beautiful mountain setting . . .
020 Central Park.jpg
. . . and seemed an unlikely place to find a very good Batman clone (Diavlo).
021 Tegarayama Yuen.jpg
Hmm--pretty sure this park, Tegarayama Yuen, was on its last legs. Just a hunch.
022 Kurashiki Tivoli Park.jpg
Kurashiki Tivoli was inspired by the same park that inspired Walt Disney--Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. Unfortunately, this beautiful Japanese park no longer exists, but it was the home of KT's first coaster credit (a very slow family coaster).
023 Kurashiki Tivoli Park.jpg
This was also the day we had to run from a typhoon. Some escaped by riding a bear, but the rest of us had to crowd onto a standing-room-only train.
024 Universal.jpg
One of the best coasters this trip was Universal's Hollywood Dream. I hope this guy enjoyed his ride. (I think this was an early morning test run.)
025 Universal.jpg
Sigh! The only Jaws ride left in the world. More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:46 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Ah Chuck, good wet memories of Splash Bandit, I remember. :wink:
And Diavlo was a-ma-zing! Got a solo ride on that, just before we left the park.

This is a great "Quikie Tour" of that past tour...very well done.

I wish that Tivoli-style park was still around. It was small, but with great
landscaping, and a few unique rides. And of course...KT's Very First Coaster.

Looking forward to more. :airtime:
A_02YV.jpg
I did wonder what happened, AFTER you guys water blasted me and Brian, hah.
That's my arm sticking out there, in the front car.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:02 pm

We're not quite finished with the 2007 Japan Trip yet.
026 Parque Espana - Copy.jpg
Parque Espana is a Japanese park themed to Spain. Why not? It makes more sense that theming a park in California to California. Pyrenees, a B&M inverted, is great, too.
027 Parque Espana - Copy.jpg
Unfortunately, Adventure Lagoon, the park's unique splash boat/dark ride doesn't exist anymore. Well, the outdoor portion of the ride is still there, but the park no longer uses its huge show building. But this duck might still be sniffing this poor guy's butt.
028 Spaland - Copy.jpg
Nagashima Spaland's Steel Dragon when it still had its Morgan "bathtubs on wheels" trains.
029 Spaland - Copy.jpg
Oh, this big wooden coaster. Anyone know what happened to it? ;)
030 Nagoya Zoo.jpg
I loved the sophisticated braking system on the Nagoya Zoo's "trough coaster."
031 Nagoya Zoo.jpg
Not sure if this is a dog or a floppy eared bunny.
032 Lagunasia.jpg
Behind the scenes at Lagunasia and Robb's filming session on Aqua Wind. This was the first Gerstlauer Bobsled I ever rode, and it was a good one.
033 Lagunasia.jpg
Lagunasia also featured the mondo bizarro Magical Powders dark ride, which seems to encourage drug abuse.
034 Pal Pal.jpg
Hamanako Pal Pal's Mega Coaster was another surprisingly good Togo. It's pretty much the same as Vegas's infamous Manhattan Express, only decent.
035 Pal Pal.jpg
I just called this ride "Lobster Pinocchio." Pretty sure that's not its actual name.
036 TDS.jpg
OK, this is the first thing you see when you enter Tokyo Disney Sea. 'Nuff said.
037 TDS.jpg
Journey to the Center of the Earth was amazing. This is where you escape from Lava Monster!
038 tdL.jpg
Our first day at Tokyo Disneyland was a bit damp.
039 tdL.jpg
"We are your gods now!"
040 Joypolis.jpg
At Joypolis, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
041 Joypolis.jpg
But I did expect zombies.
042 TDL.jpg
The view from the Tokyo Disney Resort monorail.
044 TDS.jpg
I managed to capture the lightning at TDS's Tower of Terror . . .
045 TDS.jpg
. . . along with some FIRE!
046 Fuji Q.jpg
Perhaps the best part of Fuji Q.
047 Fuji Q.jpg
Here's the pre-loop Dodonpa. The air time over that high hat was terrifying!
048 Sea Paradise.jpg
Sea Paradise also sported a good Togo ride: Surf Coaster.
049 Sea Paradise.jpg
Blue Fall was one of the best drop towers ever.
050 Cosmoworld.jpg
Cosmoworld is best visited at night.
051 Cosmoworld.jpg
Die, monster, die!
052 Texas Select.jpg
One bonus photo--me sampling the awesome Texas Select! That's all for 2007 Japan. We will return.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:01 am.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Blue Turbo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:29 pm

Loving these throwback TRs so far! I've watched the Coaster Expeditions for these older trips so many times, but it's fun to see a new perspective/hear your thoughts on them! Seeing photos of Japan always makes me long to go back. I really need to get on Journey to the Center of the Earth and hit some of the smaller parks in the Tokyo area that I missed on the pre trip

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!