Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Update: Europe 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Theme park touring wasn't on my radar screen until 2005, or thereabouts. Oh, sure, I'd visit Disneyland and Walt Disney World, Universal, Kings Dominion, and (of course) Busch Gardens Williamsburg from time to time--but nothing outside the United States. I wasn't a member of any coaster- or park-related groups or clubs, either.

Then I came across the trip reports on Theme Park Review, thanks to Robb posting about them on another website, and was immediately intrigued. When Robb and Elissa advertised their first "public" tour of the United Kingdom, I thought, "Well, why not?" I'd done the "cultural" tour of Scotland, London, and Stratford on Avon with my brother the year before. Why not see what theme parks were like outside the USA?

The 2006 TPR UK Trip was excellent, and I was hooked. I've since been around Europe, Japan, China, Australia, and even the US with TPR.

The difficulty of travel today, thanks for COVID-19, has me waxing a bit nostalgic for the trips I'd taken before (with any luck, I'll be hitting the Asia Disney parks with TPR in December). Who would like to join me in a look back at TPR trips past? Here's what we'll be doing: I've decided to post two pictures from each park visited. These photos may be purely scenic--or completely goofy. They may represent "firsts" for me, or just something uniqe about the park in question. Or maybe they're just nice pictures. I'm making this up as I go.

Let's set the Wayback Machine for the summer of 2006 and TPR's wanderings about the UK, Norway, and Sweden. I was intrigued to visit some places I'd actually heard about (such as Alton Towers and Blackpool Pleasure Beach), places with which I was vaguely familiar (such as Liseberg), and places I'd never heard of (such as Lightwater Valley).

OK, we're landing at Heathrow. Be careful getting your stuff out of the overhead compartment.

Now where's that Hotel Hoppa shuttle?
001 Windsor Castle.jpg
Our first stop wasn't technically part of the trip: Legoland Windsor. Robb and Elissa were going, and there was so much interest on the part of the rest of the group, it became the first TPR "pre-trip" park. This was the first Legoand I'd ever visited, and the only one that can boast a view of the actual Windsor Castle.
001a Legoland.jpg
My first-ever Miniland--one of a number to come.
002 Chessington.jpg
Next up was Chessington World of Adventures. Any ride featuring a vampire playing an organ is OK in my book.
002a Chessington.jpg
Chessington's Vampire was a lot of fun, even if trees did slap you in the face from time to time.
003 Coney Beach.jpg
Time for the first TPR "surprise" park of the trip: Coney Beach in Wales, home of the "DEATH RIDE"!
003a Coney Beach.jpg
This reminds me of one of the funniest conversations of the trip. The nice old Welshman asked me,
"You the Americans that came in on the bus?"
"Yes, we are."
"Oh, how nice. Ye want any mushy peas with your chips?"
"Er, no thank you.
"Ah, afraid it'll give ye the wind, eh?"
004 Oakwood.jpg
Speaking of parks in Wales, Oakwood was next. I was glad that I had the chance to ride Brer Rabbit's Burrow, which, unlike Splash Mountain, feature bunnies drinking beer, using the toilet, and gettin' it on. In your face, Disney!
004a Oakwood.jpg
Oakwood's Speed was my first Eurofighter--liked it quite a bit back then.
005 Alton.jpg
On to Alton Towers and Nemesis, the best coaster in the UK. The cool monster theming was a plus for this crazy, intense ride--a pit and a "river of blood"! it's still my favorite B&M inverted coaster.
005a Alton.jpg
You can see a castle from Legoland, but Alton has its very own authentic castle.
006 Drayton.jpg
Behold my first Maurer Shone coaster: Drayton Manor's G-Force! It was not good. In fact, boy did it ever suck out loud! (The curved lift was a painful experience.)
006a Drayton.jpg
But Drayton had some fun stuff, too, such as the "so bad, it's good" Pirate Adventure. Of course, some of the animatronics needed TLC, such as this poor prostitute whose face has been ravaged by an STD (her nipple appears to be showing, too). Or maybe it's the Nature Boy, Ric Flair!
007 Southport Payland.jpg
Southport Playland's big attraction was their great, old-school fun house.
008 Southport Payland.jpg
It was also a good place to catch a nap around a nice campfire.
010 BPB.jpg
Ah, Blackpool Pleasure Beach--emphasis on "pleasure" here. It's a shame that the wooden Wild Mouse is no more.
011 BPB.jpg
For me, the dark rides stole the show at Blackpool.
012 LW.jpg
Lightwater Valley thought it could tell me how to behave. Ha! Take that!
013 LW.jpg
Kumali was a very first Vekoma SLC, and I kind of liked it. As for the ones that followed, well . . .
014 PH.jpg
Pleasurewood Hillls' Enigma was a fun old Schewarzkopf coaster.
015 PH.jpg
Their Tales of the Coast boat ride gets bonus points for being based on local folklore.
016 Gnd Yarmouth.jpg
This photo features two anusing attractions at Grand Yarmouth Pleasure Beach: the very old school Scenic Railway (my first coaster with a brakeman) and the cheesy Snails and Fairy Tales ride.
017 Gnd Yarmouth.jpg
I know this looks like someone threw up on a baked potato, but this curry chicken jacket was pretty good.
018 Joyland.jpg
The exquisite horror of Joyland's Spook Express.
019 Joyland.jpg
Dracula got me at Joyland, too. He likes to suck out blood and brains.
020 Thorpe.jpg
Thorpe Park marked my first-ever ride on one of these crazy Inamin contraptions (Stealth).
021 Thorpe.jpg
However, I preferred Thorpe's Nemesis: Inferno.
022 Tusenfryd.jpg
Off to Norway! I love the front entrance to Tusenfryd and how it interacts with Speed Monster.
023 Tusenfryd.jpg
Thunder Coaster was a pleasant surprise.
024.jpg
Liseberg was the last park we visited--and my first chance to sign a roller coaster.
025  Liseberg.jpg
Balder quickly became my favorite coaster then, and it's still in my top 10 today. That's all for now.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:47 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:49 pm

Cool idea, and great pictures! Thanks!

Postby bert425 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:21 pm

these are fantastic, Chuck.

can't wait to see more.

I think this is my favorite pic tho. . and not for "Jerry" or what's going on inside him. . . but for that absolutely spectacular (and appropriate) look on the girl in the stripes.

awesome
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 pm

Love this so much Chuck! Thanks for sharing and being such a great friend over the last 15 years!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:07 pm

Great report! Thanks for the quick tour of the UK. It's a bummer the Wild Mouse closed shortly before I made it to Blackpool, but I doubt I could have had as much fun as those two.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure & Waldameer

Postby Hhappy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:33 am

This is awesome.
Thanks for posting these.
Looking forward to future trips and pictures.
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:31 am

Wow, I've never officially traveled with TPR outside of a few bash days several years ago but I think I've been following along with their trips from just around the very beginning so this was a trip down memory lane for sure.

Also what level of Inception is this where I'm reading of a trip report of a trip report that I read 14 years ago? I'm gonna wake up and the world is going to be under quarantine or something......

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:55 am

SharkTums wrote:Love this so much Chuck! Thanks for sharing and being such a great friend over the last 15 years!

Aw, shucks, Ms. Elissa. :)

Hilltopper39 wrote:Also what level of Inception is this where I'm reading of a trip report of a trip report that I read 14 years ago? I'm gonna wake up and the world is going to be under quarantine or something......

I hope everyone enjoys this thread. I'll probably update it once a week.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:25 am

Blader quickly became my favorite coaster then, and it's still in my top 10 today. That's all for now.

I loved Blader, too. ;) Great way to show some of the newer TPR members
what some of the early TPR tours were like, Chuck. Thanks for putting it together!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby grsupercity » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:12 pm

Nice short reports! Keep it up
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!