2020 Summer Roadtrip

First Reports Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: 2020 Summer Roadtrip

Postby therealcu2010 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Not trying to start a debate at all, but as a resident of New York, I should probably inform you that, thanks to my state's ridiculous gun laws, your concealed carry permit will not be recognized. Even leaving it in the car unloaded could result in serious penalties.

As such, I would strongly recommend finding a secure place to leave it for a few days in, say, Pennsylvania, before even entering NY.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:21 pm

therealcu2010 wrote:Not trying to start a debate at all, but as a resident of New York, I should probably inform you that, thanks to my state's ridiculous gun laws, your concealed carry permit will not be recognized. Even leaving it in the car unloaded could result in serious penalties.

As such, I would strongly recommend finding a secure place to leave it for a few days in, say, Pennsylvania, before even entering NY.

Yeah, I know CCWs aren't recognized from any other state in NY. My "carry permit" is a badge and police ID, which due to a nice federal law, is good everywhere in the US. Thanks for looking out though.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 150
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby therealcu2010 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Forgot about that federal law... fair enough.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:19 am

Well, a reduction in my time off at work has shortened this trip by four available days. I've cut out the Western NY/Canada part completely and Indiana Beach, cut down Holiday World to a half-day, removed a day at Cedar Point, and added Idlewild and Lakemont (hoping they have Leap the Dips open by then, if not oh well). So, here's the new itinerary and map:

Fri, 7/10: Prep Day
Sat, 7/11: Drive to Pigeon Forge, TN, stopping at Adventure Park USA on the way.
Sun, 7/12: Full day at Dollywood
Mon, 7/13: Drive to Austell, GA, hitting Lake Wikkepesaukah on the way.
Tue, 7/14: Full day at SFoG
Wed, 7/15: Drive to Santa Claus, IN, hitting Alabama Adventure and Beech Bend on the way.
Thu, 7/16: Drive to Mason, OH, hitting Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom on the way.
Fri, 7/17: Full day at King's Island
Sat, 7/18: Drive to Sandusky, OH, hitting Camden Park and Columbus Zoo on the way
Sun, 7/19: Full day at Cedar Point
Mon, 7/20: Full day at Cedar Point
Tue, 7/21: Drive to West Mifflin, PA, hitting Waldameer and Conneaut Lake on the way.
Wed, 7/22: Full day at Kennywood
Thu, 7/23: Drive to Elysburg, PA, hitting Idlewild and Lakemont on the way.
Fri, 7/24: Full day at Knoebels
Sat, 7/25: Drive home, hitting Hershey Park on the way.
Sun,7/26: Recover

Summer2020.jpg

I think I've gotten the answers I need, but I'll leave this up for any additional commentary or criticism.

Thanks to everyone who responded!
Last edited by Mike240SX on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 am.
-Mike
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 am

Sounds good to me. Rather than spend a full day "prepping" I'd start driving Friday and break up that drive but either way it's fine. If you take 70 instead of 66 you could hit Adventure Park USA if you haven't been there and avoid the DC area which is always a plus.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:45 am

Good catch, I hate driving through or around DC; Adventure Park has been added.
-Mike

Postby coasterbill » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 am

Cool! It's not amazing but it's in an annoying location and the Wildcat is fun. You might as well pop in for an hour, it's cute.

PS: The Windstorm is awful (which is weird because it's a Windstorm).

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby dmh1079 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:18 am

Mike240SX wrote:Sat, 7/18: Drive to Sandusky, OH, hitting Camden Park and Columbus Zoo on the way

I don't know how much you've looked into it, but keep in mind that this will be an expensive credit for what it is. Zoo Parking and Admission will be required and set you back about $40-50. The coaster ride itself is only a couple of dollars on top of that. The coaster is very similar to the Ghoster Coaster/Woodstock Express junior woodies.

Of course, it's your trip and your money so you do you. Just didn't want you to show up thinking it could be a quick, cheap credit stop.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:32 am

dmh1079 wrote:
Mike240SX wrote:Sat, 7/18: Drive to Sandusky, OH, hitting Camden Park and Columbus Zoo on the way

I don't know how much you've looked into it, but keep in mind that this will be an expensive credit for what it is. Zoo Parking and Admission will be required and set you back about $40-50. The coaster ride itself is only a couple of dollars on top of that. The coaster is very similar to the Ghoster Coaster/Woodstock Express junior woodies.

Of course, it's your trip and your money so you do you. Just didn't want you to show up thinking it could be a quick, cheap credit stop.

Awesome, that is great to know that I'd have to pay admission to the zoo to get to the coaster . However, looking online it appears to only be $14 and parking is $10, but $26 is still too rich for my blood for a non-unique credit.
-Mike

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:44 am

If you're not planning to stop at the Columbus Zoo on that leg of the trip, then the drive from Kings Island to Camden Park to Cedar Point is just about the same distance as it is from King Island to Indiana Beach to Cedar Point, so that might be an option to consider since you seemed interested in Indiana Beach earlier before taking it out when the trip got shortened. I'd much rather spend a half day at Indiana Beach than Camden Park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!