2020 Summer Roadtrip

First Reports Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: 2020 Summer Roadtrip

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Since you'll be in the South and the Midwest, I doubt you'll have an issue with a gun in the car. It's extremely common around here. Yes, you will have to leave it in the car while in the parks, as none of the Midwest parks allow them, but also the culture around here is very accepting. Most states don't require a permit, and the few that do will accept an out of state permit. You are correct that your only issue will be the border crossing. Unfortunately I can't help you with that, as I've never taken a gun into Canada. Hopefully one of the Buffalo locals can recommend a storage place.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ArgoZ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:41 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Since you'll be in the South and the Midwest, I doubt you'll have an issue with a gun in the car. It's extremely common around here. Yes, you will have to leave it in the car while in the parks, as none of the Midwest parks allow them, but also the culture around here is very accepting. Most states don't require a permit, and the few that do will accept an out of state permit. You are correct that your only issue will be the border crossing. Unfortunately I can't help you with that, as I've never taken a gun into Canada. Hopefully one of the Buffalo locals can recommend a storage place.

I have to respond to some misleading advice here on a serious situation. If something is culturally acceptable doesn’t mean it’s right. For this particular trip, the firearm will be for the majority of the time not on the owner, rendering it useless. Securing firearms from theft is an inherent part of being a responsible gun owner and carrier. Valuables left in hotel rooms, (even safes) and vehicles are the most common places of theft. Any Law Enforcement Officer, as the original poster claims to be, would and should know this.

Guns and ammo can not be brought into Canada without paperwork and restricted guns like handguns will get you in all sorts of trouble (jail time). Canadian border guards may be very polite, but don’t be fooled. Any clothing featuring camo, army or firearms logos will give them an excuse to strip search your vehicle.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 am

My only suggestion would be to hit King Island on the way to Cedar Point since you can pretty much drive right past it and it's only an hour from Louisville/Kentucky Kingdom. That might mess up your plans for Indiana Beach/Camden Park but if it were me I'd go Holiday World->Kentucky Kingdom->Kings Island-> Cedar Point and maybe throw in Indian Beach between KI and CP and forget Camden all together. It's your trip so do whatever you want but back tracking from Cedar Point to Kings Island to hit Camden Park on the way to Kennywood when Kennywod is only 3 hours from Cedar Point seems like a lot of extra time spent just to get to Camden Park.

Heck if you really wanted to hit Camden you could almost do it during the initial drive from Newark, DE to Pigeon Forge and it's about the same distance out of the way as it would be from Kings Island to Kennywood.

Sounds like a fun trip though, enjoy what ever route you decide on.
Last edited by Hilltopper39 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 am.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 am

^^ I'm sure he's going to secure it properly. Someone who is trained in gun safety and works with guns every day isn't going to do something dumb with it. And this is the American South and Midwest we're talking about. It's not like this will be the first gun we've ever seen in a vehicle. Probably not even the first one that day. Yeah, opportunistic theft happens anywhere, but trust me, there are waaaay easier ways to get a gun than to steal one from a police officer on vacation.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Perhaps some maps would help others in understanding my trip logic.

Here is the overall plan, running a clockwise lap from the farthest east point:
Full Loop.jpg

For reference, Green dots are parks that I've ready been to, red ones are parks I have not.

The idea with mapping it out this way was to minimize long drives without entertaining stops (there are none over 5 hours except the initial run from home to Dollywood, and few over 3 hours) and backtracking.

Hilltopper39 wrote:My only suggestion would be to hit King Island on the way to Cedar Point since you can pretty much drive right past it and it's only an hour from Louisville/Kentucky Kingdom. That might mess up your plans for Indiana Beach/Camden Park but if it were me I'd go Holiday World->Kentucky Kingdom->Kings Island-> Cedar Point and maybe throw in Indian Beach between KI and CP and forget Camden all together.

Yes, that would completely mess up my plans for both Indiana Beach and Camden Park, which I want to hit on this trip since I don't foresee myself ever being in the general vicinity to hit either park again in the future.

It's your trip so do whatever you want but back tracking from Cedar Point to Kings Island to hit Camden Park on the way to Kennywood when Kennywod is only 3 hours from Cedar Point seems like a lot of extra time spent just to get to Camden Park.

As you can see on the map, the only major backtracking done on the trip is to hit Canada's Wonderland. You're right that it is a lot of extra time to hit Camden Park, but this is the most efficient way I have found.

Heck if you really wanted to hit Camden you could almost do it during the initial drive from Newark, DE to Pigeon Forge and it's about the same distance out of the way as it would be from Kings Island to Kennywood.

It would be about the same distance out of the way, but the difference is that it's adding 4 hours to a 3 hour drive versus adding 4 hours to a 9 hour drive, making it be 12-13. That's a little more than I can voluntarily handle.

Sounds like a fun trip though, enjoy what ever route you decide on.

Thanks!

ArgoZ wrote:Advice on firearms from someone who lives in a country where the right to self defense and carry-able handguns don't exist.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:A logical retort.

I did not intend to turn this thread into a debate over firearm safety practices. I've been carrying concealed for 13 years, often storing it securely in a vehicle or a hotel room, with no ill ends. As have many, many of my co-workers, both within my department and outside of it. ArgoZ, your advice is noted but ill-informed (statistically most firearm thefts, at least in the US, are from stores and the home), and not applicable. I already understood that bringing a gun of the type I'll be carrying into Canada is a huge no-no, and I'm not stupid enough to wear clothing or put stickers on my car that broadcasts my affinity for them or my profession.

If everyone could limit the discussion on firearms simply to my originally posed question ("Where would be a good place to safely store it during the Canadian portion of the trip?"), it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!
-Mike
Total Coasters: 150
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Yeah Huntington, WV is kind of in the middle of nowhere so there's not really any way around adding some extra hours to the trip if you want to go to Camden Park. At least it gives you an excuse to go to Biscuit World!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm

Mike240SX wrote:If everyone could limit the discussion on firearms simply to my originally posed question ("Where would be a good place to safely store it during the Canadian portion of the trip?"), it would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks!

If you do insist on bringing them with you, then you could just rent a safety deposit box at a local financial institution prior to crossing. It'll take a bit of research / calling around as some larger financial institutions may have policies against it, but regional chains shouldn't be much of a problem. It shouldn't take more than a couple valid IDs and small fee coverage. If that isn't a solution, I'd try looking up a couple gun shops that are close to where you'll be crossing. Odds are they've encountered this question a lot and are more likely to have a prepared solution than a bunch of coaster nerds like us.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Gav » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:56 pm

Just on the first day, would you consider leaving on Friday night and driving to some point till around 10pm. Then on the Saturday set off and you could spend an extra afternoon at Dollywood and have a go at a mountain coaster or two.

Also, for CP, rather than 3 days, I found it worked well to go for 2 days, but purchase Fast lane plus, which would probably work out fairly equivalent to an additional night of hotel.
I know everyone loves CP, but at the same time, 2 days, with one of those days having queue jumping is more than enough to ride a wide variety of attractions and take in the atmosphere.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:31 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:If you do insist on bringing them with you, then you could just rent a safety deposit box at a local financial institution prior to crossing. It'll take a bit of research / calling around as some larger financial institutions may have policies against it, but regional chains shouldn't be much of a problem. It shouldn't take more than a couple valid IDs and small fee coverage. If that isn't a solution, I'd try looking up a couple gun shops that are close to where you'll be crossing. Odds are they've encountered this question a lot and are more likely to have a prepared solution than a bunch of coaster nerds like us.

Thanks! This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Once the trip gets a little closer I'll look in to the safety deposit box option.

Gav wrote:Just on the first day, would you consider leaving on Friday night and driving to some point till around 10pm. Then on the Saturday set off and you could spend an extra afternoon at Dollywood and have a go at a mountain coaster or two.

I'll be coming off midnight shift from Thursday night (getting off at 7AM Friday), so that would be tough. My plan is to stay up until around 6 or 7 PM that Friday and then go to sleep, hoping to hit the road around 4 AM the initital travel-out day. It's 9 hours per Google-maps, but with taking frequent bathroom/stretch/sanity breaks, it'll likely end up being 11 and that's if I hit no traffic (part of the reason I'm leaving so early is to dodge the rush out around Baltimore and DC).

Plus it would add another night of hotel and days admission at Dollywood, and I figure one full day at Dollywood would be enough. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not really interested in mountain coasters.

Also, for CP, rather than 3 days, I found it worked well to go for 2 days, but purchase Fast lane plus, which would probably work out fairly equivalent to an additional night of hotel.
I know everyone loves CP, but at the same time, 2 days, with one of those days having queue jumping is more than enough to ride a wide variety of attractions and take in the atmosphere.

The last time I was there, I had two full days and the last 6 hours of the night before, and it was enough (even though one of those days was spent blitzed at the water park swim-up bar LOL)...didn't even need any FL, but that was mid-week I am planning for FL+ (since it'll be a Saturday-Monday that I'm there), either buying it daily or adding the all-parks-FL+ to my Platinum pass.

My big reason for planning for 3 full days there is to build in what I believe will be a much needed recovery day, mid-way through the trip, where I can just relax on the beach or in the hotel if the park is crazy busy or if the weather is horrible.

Thank you for the insight though, it is appreciated!
-Mike
Total Coasters: 150
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Postby coasterbill » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:00 am

Am I understanding you correctly that you never expect to be in the area of Southern Ontario / Northern New York again but you're totally blowing through Niagara Falls to go and whore a bunch of small parks?

I know it's a coaster trip but come on... here

As for using credit cards, that's what we normally do. We didn't bother getting local currency in Canada, just don't use a card with a foreign transaction fee. If you do get Canadian money just use an ATM machine.

Since you'll be at Wonderland on a Sunday you'll have Platinum Pass early entry on either Yukon Striker and Minebuster, Leviathan and Dragon Fyre or Behemoth and Backlot Stunt Coaster but they haven't announced which yet. Keep an eye on this page.
Last edited by coasterbill on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!