2020 Summer Roadtrip

First Reports Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

2020 Summer Roadtrip

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:53 pm

So, this coming summer I'm planning a pretty large road trip to hit a bunch of parks that I've never been to, finally check out Steel Vengeance, experience Orion and Candymonium, and give Kennywood and Knoebels another chance after they slightly disappointed me in my 2017 trip.

Edit: Kings Island Report Posted!
...and Cedar Point!
Last edited by Mike240SX on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:44 pm.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 150
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: 2020 Summer Roadtrip

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:45 am

I like that you have 3 days in one place halfway through. On a road trip, it's important to recharge. You are doing a little backtracking in IN/OH, but I'm not sure how you hit Indiana Beach without backtracking. It's a fun place, you should go there once.

Budget is going to be important here. You're going to spend a lot on gas, more than you think you will. Canadian gas is much, much more expensive than in the US, often more than $1/liter.

Customs shouldn't take very long, they will just ask you a couple of questions about where you're going an how long you'll be there. Answer truthfully and give them your passport. They'll run the passport through their system, not sure what they look for, maybe that you're not wanted in Ontario or something. They may search your trunk, but should be 5 minutes or so with the customs official. The main source of delay is how many vehicles are at the customs point, since it's going to be about 5 minutes for every vehicle in front of you.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:31 am

Thanks for the insight!

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I like that you have 3 days in one place halfway through. On a road trip, it's important to recharge.

That was exactly my thought - having 3 days at CP in the middle gives me a chance to just have a relax day if I need it.

You are doing a little backtracking in IN/OH, but I'm not sure how you hit Indiana Beach without backtracking. It's a fun place, you should go there once.

Exactly, same thing kinda with Camden Park. There's no way for me to naturally "pass by" either place.

Budget is going to be important here. You're going to spend a lot on gas, more than you think you will. Canadian gas is much, much more expensive than in the US, often more than $1/liter.

Thanks for the tip; I'll be sure to fill up on the US side, and then I should be good for the whole Canada portion of the trip (the car I'll be using can get 400 miles on a tank). I was thinking about just using credit cards while there to avoid having to exchange cash currencies, would you reccommend this? I'll only be there for one day really.

Customs shouldn't take very long, they will just ask you a couple of questions about where you're going an how long you'll be there. Answer truthfully and give them your passport. They'll run the passport through their system, not sure what they look for, maybe that you're not wanted in Ontario or something. They may search your trunk, but should be 5 minutes or so with the customs official. The main source of delay is how many vehicles are at the customs point, since it's going to be about 5 minutes for every vehicle in front of you.

Good to know. Thanks again!
-Mike
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:02 am

Yeah you're generally just fine with an American credit card in Canada. Like in the US, there are very few cash-only places anymore. Be sure to call your card issuer before you go so they don't put a hold on your card when a transaction comes through from Canada.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Mike240SX wrote:So, this coming summer I'm planning a pretty large road trip to hit a bunch of parks that I've never been to, finally check out Steel Vengeance, experience Orion and Candymonium, and give Kennywood and Knoebels another chance after they slightly disappointed me in my 2017 trip.

Here's the proposed itinerary as I have it layed out:
-Day 1, Fri 7/24 - Pack & Prep, in bed early.
-Day 2, Sat 7/25 - Drive from Newark, DE to Pigeon Forge, TN, straight trough (approx. 9 hours plus stops).
-Day 3, Sun 7/26 - Full day at Dollywood*@.
-Day 4, Mon 7/27 - Drive to Austell, GA, stopping at Lake Winnepesaukah*@ along the way.
-Day 5, Tue 7/28 - Full day at SFoG*@.
-Day 6, Wed 7/29 - Drive to Santa Claus, IN, stopping at Beech Bend*@ and Alabama Splash Adventure*@ along the way.
-Day 7, Thu 7/30 - Full day at Holiday World*@.
-Day 8, Fri 7/31 - Drive to Sandusky, OH, stopping at Kentucky Kingdom*@ and Indiana Beach*@ along the way.
-Day 9, Sat 8/1 through Day 11, Mon 8/3 - Three full days at Cedar Point.
-Day 12, Tue 8/4 - Drive to Mason, OH, enjoy King's Island in the evening.
-Day 13, Wed 8/5 - Full day at Kings Island.
-Day 14, Thu 8/6 - Drive to West Mifflin, PA, stopping at Camden Park*@ along the way.
-Day 15, Fri 8/7 - Full day at Kennywood.
-Day 16, Sat 8/8 - Travel to Vaughn, Ontario, stopping at Conneaut Lake*, Waldameer*, and Fantasy Island (NY)*@ along the way.
-Day 17, Sun 8/9 - Full day at Canada's Wonderland*@.
-Day 18, Mon 8/10 - Drive to Elysburg, PA, stopping at Darien Lake*@ and Seabreeze Amusement Park*@ along the way.
-Day 19, Tue 8/11 - Full day at Knoebels.
-Day 20, Wed 8/12 - Drive home to Newark, DE, stopping at Hershey Park along the way.
-Day 21, Thu 8/13 - Recover.
* indicates parks that will be new to me.
@ indicates parks that I never forsee myself being in the area of again, thus why I'm stopping in.

I've mapped out the drive times, and nothing seems too unreasonable. Some parks will definitely be a "stop in, hit the coasters, move on" type experience, so I'm looking for suggestions as to what other "don't miss" rides might be at these parks. I generally enjoy dark rides and flumes, but can't stand spin-n-puke type rides.

Thanks!

Consider the following for Day 6 - 15
-Day 6, Wed 7/29 - Drive to Louisville, stopping at Beech Bend*@ and Alabama Splash Adventure*@ along the way.
-Day 7, Thu 7/30 - 3 hours at Kentucky Kingdom in the AM and the rest of the day at Holiday World*@ drive to Indianapolis area.
-Day 8, Fri 7/31 - Drive to Indiana Beach in the AM, then drive to Cincinatti, for King's Island at night.
-Day 9, Sat 8/1 - King's Island all day
-Day 10 - 12, Sun 8/2 - Tues 8/4 Cedar Point
-Day 13, Wed 8/5 - Drive to Columbus Zoo and Camden Park (assuming you are going to Camden Park just for the credits, you might as well pick up another woodie credit in Columbus) driving on to Morgantown at Night
-Day 14, Thu 8/6 - Drive to West Mifflin, PA, full day at Kennywood
-Day 15, Fri 8/7 - Now you have extra day
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks for the tip on Columbus Zoo; I didn't even realize they had a coaster. It has been added as a mid-day stop between CP and KI.

That said, based on what I've read on here, Holiday World is one of those parks where a full day would be worth it to experience all of the non-coaster stuff they have to offer, so I'm going to leave that part as is. It also seems to be add a bit of backtracking to the route doing KI before CP. But yeah, thanks for the advice!
-Mike

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby tndank » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:36 am

There's another credit in Atlanta at Fun Spot. About 20-30 min from SFoG. There's a few random credits in Pigeon Forge, too (Island, Nascar). Even more if you count Alpine coasters.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Mike240SX wrote:Thanks for the tip on Columbus Zoo; I didn't even realize they had a coaster. It has been added as a mid-day stop between CP and KI.

That said, based on what I've read on here, Holiday World is one of those parks where a full day would be worth it to experience all of the non-coaster stuff they have to offer, so I'm going to leave that part as is. It also seems to be add a bit of backtracking to the route doing KI before CP. But yeah, thanks for the advice!

The only time I haven't been done with Holiday World in 4 hours, is when I included the water park. Outside of the coasters there really isn't much, but if you do stay the day eat at the Thanksgiving restaurant.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ArgoZ » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:17 pm

Seems silly to bring a firearm along a theme park trip. It’s not allowed in any of the parks your visiting or in Canada as you mentioned. You will have to store in in your hotel (not good with housekeeping) or in the car for multiple hours hoping someone doesn’t break in and steal it. What a headache and opportunity to get yourself in trouble on a fun trip.

There are 3 bridges into Canada. I would check waits on all three before you leave Grand Island. It’s not uncommon to have over 1h waits during summer weekends. Early or late crossings are usually quiet.

Some sites I wouldn’t miss if I was enjoying this trip. I’ve done one very similar! Corvette Tour in Bowling Green. Pigeon Forge’s Mountain coasters, especially the night operations. Holiday World’s water park with 3 water coasters. Niagara Falls.
Hope you have a great time!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:04 pm

tndank wrote:There's another credit in Atlanta at Fun Spot. About 20-30 min from SFoG. There's a few random credits in Pigeon Forge, too (Island, Nascar). Even more if you count Alpine coasters.

Thanks for the tips. This isn't really so much a "credit run," as I don't care about powered coasters, small spinning coasters, mountain coasters (unless it's a real Alpine Slide), or the endless amounts of Miler/Pinfari clones. I will go out of my way for a woodie though.

larrygator wrote:The only time I haven't been done with Holiday World in 4 hours, is when I included the water park. Outside of the coasters there really isn't much, but if you do stay the day eat at the Thanksgiving restaurant.

Hm...maybe I need to reevaluate that portion then. I probably would be doing the waterpark. Thanks, I'll look into that further.

ArgoZ wrote:Seems silly to bring a firearm along a theme park trip. It’s not allowed in any of the parks your visiting or in Canada as you mentioned. You will have to store in in your hotel (not good with housekeeping) or in the car for multiple hours hoping someone doesn’t break in and steal it. What a headache and opportunity to get yourself in trouble on a fun trip.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never encountered an issue leaving it in a hotel (safe or "do not disturb" sign) or a car when going to a park. And some parks offer check stations for LEOs.

There are 3 bridges into Canada. I would check waits on all three before you leave Grand Island. It’s not uncommon to have over 1h waits during summer weekends. Early or late crossings are usually quiet.

Awesome, good to know!

Some sites I wouldn’t miss if I was enjoying this trip. I’ve done one very similar! Corvette Tour in Bowling Green. Pigeon Forge’s Mountain coasters, especially the night operations. Holiday World’s water park with 3 water coasters. Niagara Falls.
Hope you have a great time!

The National Corvette Museum might be worth a stop...shame I won't be bringing my Miata on this trip, but maybe the old POS Lexus GS would be fun to drive around the course for a few laps LOL.

Thanks again for the input!
-Mike

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!