Photo TR: Adam's Return to Japan & 1st visit to Hong Kong

P. 7: HKDL Day 2 Part 1: Marvel, Disney Dim Sum & more!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Return to Japan & 1st visit to Hong Kon

Postby cfc » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:57 am

The Jurassic World stuff was the best part of the parade (I particularly liked the raptors "escaping" into the street).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:07 am

Great report! I agree Flying Dinosaur is incredible, but those operations sound terrible.

I actually don't mind the loose article policy on Flying Dinosaur or Hollywood Dream. I remember it going pretty quickly since everyone had bins all ready to go by the time they reach the station.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Halloween Horror Nights & Universal Studios Florida

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 am

The part of the TR that stood out the most to me was that parade. I'm not a huge parade guy but some of those floats and the franchises they used look really unique. Would love to see a version of that in Florida sometime.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:40 am

Great report and photos, Adam! I miss USJ! I'll echo condolences on the extra extra long wait for Flying Dino, that's unacceptable. I'm happy to hear you were able to see part of Space Fantasy without the VR; it looks fantastic and I hope to see it not in the pitch black/HHN mode.

The parade looks stunning! Between all of the USJ reports I've seen lately it's impressive with how much the change the parade throughout the year.

All the food was so good! Thanks for including those pictures in your report.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby gardyloo! » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:39 am

Another Amazing TR! Sad to hear that the operations on Flying Dinosaur are still that bad. When I was there it took at least over 3 minutes to dispatch a train... Well at least you're able to still keep your phone with you right until you enter the station.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby masportster » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:00 am

It's so good to see Jaws alive and well in other parts of the world. Sigh....just wish it was still in Orlando. Great TR!!!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MikeBalst1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:38 am

God, how cool it is! Japan is also the country of my dreams. I have never been there before, but your photos inspire me and encourage even more to make a decision about going there!

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Return to Japan & 1st visit to Hong Kyo

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am

After an amazing day at Universal Studios Japan, it was time to spend a day and a half in Kyoto enjoying the more tranquil side of Japan. I'd visited Kyoto for the day during my high school Japan trip, but during our honeymoon we didn't venture outside of Tokyo. This time around, with the Cherry Blossoms in bloom and the weather nice and cool, it was a great opportunity after going nonstop for first two thirds of the trip to take it a little more slowly.

We started our morning with Ginkaku-ji followed by a stroll along the Philosopher's Walk. We were excited to find out in advance of our trip that Reikan-ji Temple, a temple only open to the public for four weeks out of the year (two in April and two in November) would be open during our visit. Nanzenji Temple was the next stop to follow.

The next morning we roamed Nishiki Market and spent the afternoon climbing Mount Inari as we experienced Fushimi Inari Taisha. Ninen-zaka and Sannen-zaka were enjoyed after our stroll through the Tori Gates of Fushimi Inari. Kiyomizudera was how we capped off our time in Kyoto...
1.JPG
The Cherry Blossoms were in bloom at the Philosopher's Walk...
2.JPG
Ginkaku-ji is beautiful campus of shrines...
3.JPG
Zen evoked.
4.JPG
The most notable piece of architecture in Ginkaku-ji.
5.JPG
Pretty impressive.
6.JPG
Incredible gardens at Ginkaku-ji.
7.JPG
A unique natural waterfall...
8.JPG
Beautiful.
9.JPG
Ginkaku-ji features a small walking trail along the mountainside.
10.JPG
Beyond the cherry blossoms, there were many pretty flowers to be found throughout Kyoto.
11.JPG
Quite a view!
12.JPG
Time to say goodbye to Ginkaku-ji...
13.JPG
So pretty.
14.JPG
Something about roaming monkeys in Japan gets me every time.
15.JPG
Reikan-ji Temple was an exciting prospect purely for the commodity of the "special opening" experience.
16.JPG
Very unique.
17.JPG
Much smaller than Ginkaku-ji but really neat.
18.JPG
So many flowers!
19.JPG
Nanzenji was our final complex for the day...
20.JPG
The scale of these structures has always amazed me.
21.JPG
What an incredible place!
22.JPG
A look inside...
23.JPG
One of the more quiet corners of Nanzenji...
24.JPG
Beautiful.
25.JPG
The next day we made the trek to Mount Inari...
26.JPG
When in Japan...
27.JPG
Fushimi Inari is truly something else.
28.JPG
I've been enamored with this prospective view since I first saw Memoirs of a Geisha in 2005... The cinematography of that film romanticized the orange tori gates in a way that made me want nothing more than to visit Kyoto to see it for myself.
29.JPG
It was a shame it took me this long in life to experience it, but I'm so very glad I finally did.

It should be noted that sometimes the paths get this narrow and cramped due to crowds, though as you get higher up the mountain the crowds seem to thin out.
30.JPG
Loving every minute!
31.JPG
Once we were done hiking Fushimi Inari, it was time for some street food! I didn't know what Dango was but I was eager to give it a try...
32.JPG
I was intrigued by the soy sauce on what looked like pillows of marshmallow.
33.JPG
As it turns out, it is a combination of glutinous rice flour and water boiled until firm, and then grilled on an open fire. Not quite what I expected but I liked it!
34.JPG
Kiyomizudera's complex is gorgeous.
35.JPG
Quite an amazing way to round out our time in Kyoto.
36.JPG
When in Japan...
37.JPG
So glad we came here!
38.JPG
Skewered pork for the road!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby bert425 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:16 am

what wonderful pictures Adam.

and so neat to see the Kyoto Gates when they are a bit more crowded (Condor mentioned in his recent stop there that he went super early as he had heard they get crowded with tourists later.. and your pics give an awesome example of that. . . even tho you got a fantastic "near empty" pic of yourself too!).

the temples are amazing, and I wish I had been able to find time to go visit a few of them - but with me it was 1st time ever (and maybe only??) so choices had to be made. Thrilled to see so many other things I missed during my visit, so makes me want to go back even more.

best of all?

THANK YOU for trying this, and explaining what it was:

I think that's exactly what I had at Fuji-Q, that while I didn't think was terrible, I thought it was just "meh"

Seeing your explanation of what it is? yeah, that's exactly what it tasted like. I'm glad I tried it too, but it wasn't one of my favorites on my trip to Japan.

the Cherry Blossoms are beautiful too. . thanks for sharing!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:10 am

I miss Japan. The architecture over there is stunning.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Halloween Horror Nights & Universal Studios Florida

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!