TR- bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

7th park, Fuji-Q Highland (part 1 of 3) -now posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: TR- Bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

Postby Mrlittle » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:16 am

Another fun trip report to read. I remember Cosmoworld was so much fun because of the random attractions. I figure you would of posted a picture but did you run into their mascot? If not, just another reason to go back ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 am

Great report! The key to that flume is having a high pitched shriek. I think it got us a score above 700.

When we went at night last year, we had to pass a breathalyzer before being allowed to board Diving Coaster. I can't say I've ever had that happen anywhere else, so I'm not surprised they'd ask before you board the Enterprise.

Did they still have that weird haunt where they give you an LED candle and measure your fear by how much it shakes?
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Efteling & Parque de Atracciones Madrid

Postby bert425 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:04 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:Bert! Bert! Bert! Your smiles in each & every one of your photos, are a magical elixir to the souls of Japan0philes and to those of us who hope to be ones soon! I think I smiled my way thru your entire report! You're exactly the sort of traveler that I would be...soaking in EVERYTHING...learning and having the time of your life doing so!

oh my! that's quite a compliment, Alice. Thanks so much :)

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:Quick comments:
* My fave photo of you is the close-up of your "Happy Face" on the carousel FROG. It's a keeper! (Yup, I love frogs!)

* While I know better than to compare NYC's subway system to Japan's (architecture; spotlessness, etc.), am just curious if the connections and signage set-up is at ALL similar to the MTA? (There are LOTS of improvements in the works for NYC, but doubt it will be soon in the running for "Most Stunning Subway." :roll: Still....it gets me around fast!

thanks. . tho I tend to pretty much always have a huge grin on a Carousel - even while on Genie at TDS (and that wasn't a "comfy" ride, since the design of the seat makes one's crotch slide forward into Genie's neck). . LOL

as to the Japanese train station signage . . . it's been a ling time since I've been on the Manhattan Subway, but I do think that Japan stations have *way* more signs, but they are posted EVERYWHERE. pretty much any intersection within the station has signs, as do many walls, and along the platforms over each station stop. So it's a lot of signage to follow, but if you know what to keep an eye out for? it seemed to work really well, even when following a sign took one down a long underground hallway, or low-roofed corridor.

There is a lot of color-coordinating, which is really good - with the most important color being "yellow", as those signs direct you to exits (and underneath list what exit/lines following that sign will take you to).

not sure if that answers your question, but hopefully?

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:* A special shout-out to the sculpture designed to look like a Roller Coaster. A thing of beauty! (Love the touch of Steam punk.)

* FINALLY, as for Warabimochi which was not your favorite taste sensation, couldn't resist checking out the recipe:

"Thanks so much, Bert, for letting me share in your Excellent Experience in Japan! The joy in your report is truly contagious! :b :br

Alice

I loved the Coaster sculpture too, and had actually thought it was a ride from the promenade - Robb is who corrected me by noting it's a sculpture. So when I saw later that we were sorta/kinda near it, I made a point to go get a better look and a picture.

Very happy you're enjoying the report thus far (this is really only still day 2 of 16!! so lots more to come). . but FEH for making me imagine that taste again. LOL. . . if you try Warabimochi? let us know what you think. .as I still go back to "dirt, with worms in it" as the best description. :lol:

Jew wrote:Playoff Japanese baseball > Fuji Q ;)

I can't disagree with you, although I have to be happy with my choice since it was my 1st time in Japan, so I just *had* to check out Fuji-Q.

I will note that those of us that ended up going to Fuji-Q that free day, really did have a *perfect* day.
So good, that I never want to go back, as any return visit will NEVER live up to our day there.

so if I make it back to Japan? will totally do Japanese Baseball instead :)

Nrthwnd wrote:Cosmoworld is a really awesome park. On all "levels," lol. And you got to really see it at night, Bert! Last times I remember being there with TPR, we had to <sadly> leave just as the lights were coming on. Great photos of everything! I especially loved that Coaster Sculpture. Looking forward to more, Bert. :smile:

Thanks Bill. I was really impressed how lovely CosmoWorld looked at night.
and to be fair, most of the parks that we were at after dark, really looked stunning.

Japan knows how to highlight attractions at night.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Mrlittle wrote:Another fun trip report to read. I remember Cosmoworld was so much fun because of the random attractions. I figure you would of posted a picture but did you run into their mascot? If not, just another reason to go back ;)

Thanks Ryan.

I did *not* see any costume characters during our time at CosmoWorld (you're correct. . if I had, of course I would have snagged a picture with them).

I assume you mean by mascot, their frightening Ferris Wheel thing? Zoomed in on from the map in the pic behind me.
cosmo logo.jpg

I DID see that as a giant plush in the window of the gift shop, and thought it was bizarre enough that I commented on it.
Someone (Elissa maybe?) had to actually tell me it was supposed to be the CosmoClock. . . LOL.. I really had no idea.

didn't take a picture of it, tho maybe someone else did? (Brad?). .since we were sitting right near the gift shop windows while eating the Crepes.

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! The key to that flume is having a high pitched shriek. I think it got us a score above 700.

When we went at night last year, we had to pass a breathalyzer before being allowed to board Diving Coaster. I can't say I've ever had that happen anywhere else, so I'm not surprised they'd ask before you board the Enterprise.

Did they still have that weird haunt where they give you an LED candle and measure your fear by how much it shakes?

yah, we TRIED to scream high pitch. . but couldn't quite get it high enough (wasn't about to squeeze anything to achieve higher. . :p ).

No breathalyzer, just the question on the Enterprise. . but what a great story it would have made if we were asked to blow before being crammed into that coaster!

as to the haunt with the candle - if it *was* still there, I didn't experience it. Was it over across the water, in the "town" section? it looked like there were quite a few walkthru attractions there that we bypassed (other than the ice house). so would think it might be in that section.

the only "haunt" we did was the dark ride in the cage.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 pm

MayTheGForceBeWithYou wrote:The Fujin Raijin II incident in 2007 is also a big part of why Japan's standards are as strict as they are, because Japanese authorities saw the incident as a sign that the standards and enforcement they had before were nowhere near enough if they allowed something like that to happen (similar to how the sarin gas attacks in 1995 prompted many places in Japan to get rid of their public trash cans; just like how people got used to not having public trash cans, the new safety standards just became a fact of life for Japanese parkgoers).

wow. .is that really the reason there are so few public trashcans?

it's something super noticeable (and yet, there is hardly ANY trash on the ground or laying anywhere). It was one of the many impressive things about Japan - how clean everything is.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Here's my little guy I picked up at CW, back in an earlier TPR tour.
CosmoWorld.JPG
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby bert425 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:11 pm

^ yep! that was the creepy little thing!

(tho the one I saw in the gift shop window was MUCH larger. .like a giant pillow)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: TR- bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:14 pm

^ :shockr: He's a cutie! Which basically describes a lot of the Japanese park mascots you see, lol.
I especially liked Parque Espana's mascots, from what I remember.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Taylor Finn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 am

Great report so far, Bert! Love to see these parks again! The CupNoodle Museum was definitely neat and worth a quick 45 minute visit. If you can do the interactive stuff on the upper levels, you can spend more time. Unfortunately, there were school groups galore when I was there.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 am

I really like Cosmoworld and the surrounding area. Plus they have a great selection of capsule machines and claw games! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I do!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!