TR- bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

Nagoya-Tokyo free day, part 3 (Gyoza cooking class!) posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: TR- bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:18 pm

"Extra Foam, $500,000,000" :lol:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Great to see all of what you did that day! Super interesting how the look and vibe of the Kabukicho changes from day to night. We went down a lot of the same streets.

The lights and weird shops were fun to look at but honestly at night the whole place was just flooded with teens trying to act cool having smokes and drinks with friends on the street :lol:

I would have liked to have seen the statue light up or go up to see it up close. Thanks for the update!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:27 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:Great to see all of what you did that day! Super interesting how the look and vibe of the Kabukicho changes from day to night. We went down a lot of the same streets.

The lights and weird shops were fun to look at but honestly at night the whole place was just flooded with teens trying to act cool having smokes and drinks with friends on the street :lol:

I would have liked to have seen the statue light up or go up to see it up close. Thanks for the update!

I can imagine it at night/evening, and it would be mostly like you described! LOL

Tho I would think the lights down there would be amazing and sensory overload.

in some of my pics you can see the lights in Big G's mouth, but we didn't get to see him blow smoke or light up either.
Yet another reason to go back !

working on part 2, and hope to have it up tomorrow. - we went back to Shibuya crossing and did some sightseeing and shopping. But we stumbled across a DC Comics pop-up store, and I took a crap ton of pics in there. Won't post all of them, but will post a lot of them since it was fairly unique stuff, and since I didn't want to buy it to drag it home, settled for pics of the neat stuff.

so it will be a quick read if you dont' like Batman.. LOL :P
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm

after finishing up our coffees in Shinjuku, we hopped on a train in the General direction of the "Simply Oishii" cooking class we were all going to be taking later - something that Robb & Elissa had set up for the group, and it sounded like a really fun and educational class.

but that wasn't until 6pm, so we still had some time, so Jon and I exited the train a couple of stations from Shinjuku to experience Shibuya crossing area, but in the daytime (and without the rain).

note: there will be a chunk of pics from DC Comics pop up store in this installment, so if you don't like Batman or superhero stuff. . sorry. (at least it will make for a quick to skim update) :)
IMG_1277.JPG
wow.. Shibuya crossing looks different in the daytime.

more crowded, but just as interesting/intriguing as it was during our rainy night visit the other week tho.
IMG_1278.JPG
the main reason I wanted to come back tho was to go into the Shibuya Crossing gift shop, that was located just behind the bus station across from the Starbucks.

it had looked like (thru the windows on the evening visit) that it was an "official" Souvenir shop. But upon entering the now open building, it turned out it was an 8 story mini "shopping mall / flea market" mashup, that had small floors with lots of tiny stores selling everything from souveniers, to clothing, to sneakers, to even an optometrists office in the complex.
IMG_1279.JPG
As a KISS fan, I thought this was cool. . but it was also Japanese sized, and ~$39. . so no way would my butt fit in it, so just took a pic and moved on into the lobby.

(it turned out the specific shirt I had wanted to buy as a gift was hand printed (which I liked) but over $54 - for a T-shirt !! which I did not like. So my spouse got a cheaper shirt at this store, and a Shibuya Crossing magnet was bought for the fridge.
IMG_1280.JPG
What's this? a DC Comics pop up store had opened in the building? and was open while we were there?

oh yes, gonna *have* to check this out.

this is Justice League version of Batman
IMG_1281.JPG
Dark Knight Batman
IMG_1282.JPG
Batman vs Superman Batman

these are all in the lobby when entering this small building.
IMG_1283.JPG
This guy had a whole wall dedicated to him (and I saw him a few times thruout the trip in places)

at first I thought it was wearing KISS makeup, but apparently he's a character in the Sanrio universe - associated with "Hello Kitty" ?

named Aggretsuko

here's the write up from the Sanrio site:

Aggretsuko:

is a cute red panda
works as an office associate in an accounting department
has unsympathetic bosses who push her to the limit
takes out her frustration with heavy metal karaoke sessions
IMG_1284.JPG
Speaking of "Hello Kitty". . this store also has lots of that character for sale here.
IMG_1290.JPG
this is only 1 of about 20 pics I took of the different racks (to show my Hello Kitty collecting friend)
IMG_1292.JPG
we browsed our way up each level (with steep escalators between floors, as this is such a narrow building), buying a few things here and there. . and then we were face to face with the DC Pop Up store, celebrating Batman's 70th Anniversary.
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1294.JPG
VERY cool, but way out of my price-range.

Samurai Batman statue (Sitting on throne)
IMG_1295.JPG
and a standing version too
IMG_1296.JPG
Various Pewter offerings
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
lots of, what I imagine, unique to Japan offerings.
IMG_1299.JPG
the Wonder Woman leather bag was fantastic. . and I was really really tempted.

but common sense won out: a) it was expensive and I didn't need it, and b) it kinda looked like Capt. Marvel, even tho it has the WW logo right there on it.

So just a picture and moved on.
IMG_1300.JPG
these coins were really neat. . but since I dont' really collect Batman or Superman, I was happy just looking at them.

(who do I collect? Poison Ivy, Harley/Joker, the Metal Men, Black Manta . . .pretty much anything unique with those DC characters, I'll pick up)
IMG_1301.JPG
cute 'lil "Wheels of Gotham" Batman collectibles.
IMG_1303.JPG
LOL. . can you imagine trying to get this onto the plane carry-on? (for that price, no way would I check em) - but the Batarang set was really cool
IMG_1304.JPG
lots and lots of statues avail. (but these would have caused the same issue the Jack Skellington in the prior update would have caused - the packaging on these (to avoid breakage) is huge. No room at all to fit in my suitcases, so wasn't even tempted.
IMG_1305.JPG
tho I LOVED this Plastic Man, and probably will end up buying him from my local comic shop.
IMG_1306.JPG
Life size Bat-Cowl from "Batman and Robin".

no chest piece on display. . guess they figured no one wants a Batsuit with nipples :p
IMG_1307.JPG
flying Batman Beyond statue.
IMG_1308.JPG
Batmobile from Batman TV show!
IMG_1310.JPG
Justice League statues . . with a "Sexy" Catwoman statue in front.
IMG_1311.JPG
a couple more statues, and some amazing "block figure" JLA characters.

if they weren't blind box, and I could have ensured I'd get Wonder Woman? totally would have bought one - and have since picked up a Wondy from eBay for only ~$15
IMG_1312.JPG
a few more statues
IMG_1313.JPG
including Batman: the Animated Series version of Harley Quinn - which I already own.
IMG_1314.JPG
one last look at some high-end sculptures, mainly based on the Arkham Knight videogame, and then we headed back down to street level to hit a few stores in the Shibuya Crossing area.
IMG_1315.JPG
while waiting to cross the street, we came across (or rather they came across us), one of those go-kart tours, where you can dress up in character onesies, and ride around sightseeing.

this group contained a Minion, Sully from Monsters inc (I think)
IMG_1316.JPG
Minnie Mouse, and a rainbow unicorn. . among others
IMG_1317.JPG
all officially licensed I'm sure :)
IMG_1318.JPG
we ended up in a gigantic drustore type store, that had 5-6 stories of everything one could possibly want to buy.

including a massive variety of Kit-Kat options (which is I think why Jon wanted to go into this store).

they had out front a giant fishtank, and i had planned to stay outside while he bought stuff (as it was crowded and the aisles were narrow). . but I stepped in to take a pic of this statue, and was hooked.
Could this statue possibly be of Hachikō - the dog mascot of the Shibuya Crossing area? Doesn't look like him, but hard to tell in this pic.

I ended up buying a ton of souvenirs in here, including magnets, T-shirts, and postcards.
IMG_1319.JPG
they even had a "Pride" section on the 1st floor by the registers.

we ended up spending a bit longer in here than we intended, but we bought a lot of stuff, so it was a good use of time :)
IMG_1320.JPG
it was starting to get a bit overcast, and maybe drizzled a little bit while we were shopping..so we started to make our way back to the train station, to head to the cooking class.

Tho taking our time to stop and look at interesting things as we passed (and Jon was trying to find an ATM that would work with his card, as he had been trying with no luck at a few places (but it had been working earlier in the trip) and ended up having to call his bank to figure out what was going on).

this guitar store was pretty cool, although they didn't have any prices listed.

(and with Guitars, as with other certain things - if you have to ask the cost? you can't afford it).
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG
almost back at the train station, and you can see the clouds really rolling in.
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1325.JPG
so crowded when the walk lights all go on!
IMG_1326.JPG
adorable Shibuya themed bus, with the dog logo of the area.

not sure if this was a public transport bus (regardless of what it says). .I think it might have been a separately charged tour bus for a specific sights tour.
IMG_1327.JPG
Old train car, turned into the Shibuya Tourist Center, just outside the station.

with some Hello Kitty theming.
IMG_1329.JPG
I was able to take a stealth pic - between so many walking pedestrians! - of the mural on the side of the Shibuya station that celebrates Hachikō, the dog mascot of the station.

I snapped this as we were headed into the station, to grab a train to our next stop.

it was only about 4:45, but we wanted to make certain we could follow the directions Elissa had given us as to how to get to the space where the class was going to be held, so we build in about an hour of "bert and Jon get lost" time.

the super easy part was grabbing the right train to get to the station we needed (and as luck would have it, one pulled in almost the moment we got to the platform).
IMG_1330.JPG
as we arrived at the Shimbashi Station for our cooking class we had plenty of time to explore the neighborhood before it was time for our class.

but first, I had to take a bathroom break.

and as the Shimbashi Station is not one of the "bigger" stations in Japan (although it was PLENTY big), some of the restrooms were "old style".

so yes, it took almost 10 days, but I finally found an old-skool Japanese toilet.

so yep, you bet I took a picture of it :)
IMG_1332.JPG
tho not *while* I was using it. . just after :)

part III - the cooking class and arriving at nirvana (I mean the Tokyo Disney Complex), hoping to have up in the next few days!
Last edited by bert425 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm

Nice TR. As for Aggretsuko, it's a definitely-not-for-kids show, is totally hilarious, and both seasons are on US Netflix (both dubbed and sub-titled). I highly recommend it.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm

Great ongoing tour of everything you saw, and bought, Bert! Tokyo and Japan has so much, too much at times, things to see and experience.

But I think you've now proven to Elissa, that a "certain Panda" is not all cuddly and cute....
CuteRedPanda.jpg
Evil, evil, evil!
Resize of IMG_0895.JPG
"Yes, I am looking at you, Elissa." TPR 2012 China Tour.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:30 pm

^Red Pandas are still terrible even though I do like Aggretsuko!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm

Mike240SX wrote:Nice TR. As for Aggretsuko, it's a definitely-not-for-kids show, is totally hilarious, and both seasons are on US Netflix (both dubbed and sub-titled). I highly recommend it.

Agreed! Although my kids love Aggretsuko, so maybe it's a for-some-kids show.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:13 pm

Yeah, I guess it's kinda like old-school Simpsons in that regard, where the really adult jokes the kids just won't know they're missing something. I don't have any to provide that "kid's perspective" LOL.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby bert425 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Mike240SX wrote:Nice TR. As for Aggretsuko, it's a definitely-not-for-kids show, is totally hilarious, and both seasons are on US Netflix (both dubbed and sub-titled). I highly recommend it.

cool. . I'll have to check it out, as it sounds like something I might really enjoy!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!