TR- bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

Osaka Pride, Dotonbori, and Horsemeat Sashimi now posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: TR- bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:05 pm

You got some awesome views up in the ferris wheel! It's cool you got a glimpse of that fireball, too. I was worried I was the only one who saw it and no one was going to believe me :lol: That last Takabisha ride we had was pretty much a night ride. It was incredible how great the park looked at night as I didn't notice any lights around the park during the day.

Condor - they definitely stopped accepting people into the queue 45-60 min before closing, which is about how long the lines were for the most popular attractions are. They actually announced it over the speakers, which was surprising. The unpredictability of this park is pretty well showcased in this thread. It seems like your day was much more crowded and they closed 90 min early because of the lines; but who knows!

Fuji Q is a small park - I mean 3 entrances to the main rides are all right next to each other and DoDoDonpa pretty much runs the perimeter of the park. Even though some rides and coasters were closed for this visit I can't imagine spending more than a day there. Even with not knowing how crazy crowds will be or how many trains the coasters will run, I'd totally go stay at the Fuji Q resort if the weather is right for whenever I visit next. It'd be helpful to have that early entry time to grab the fast passes early if it's a weekend or not a perfect day. Honestly, that's how much I enjoyed the coasters!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:35 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:You got some awesome views up in the ferris wheel! It's cool you got a glimpse of that fireball, too. I was worried I was the only one who saw it and no one was going to believe me :lol: That last Takabisha ride we had was pretty much a night ride. It was incredible how great the park looked at night as I didn't notice any lights around the park during the day.

Condor - they definitely stopped accepting people into the queue 45-60 min before closing, which is about how long the lines were for the most popular attractions are. They actually announced it over the speakers, which was surprising. The unpredictability of this park is pretty well showcased in this thread. It seems like your day was much more crowded and they closed 90 min early because of the lines; but who knows!

Fuji Q is a small park - I mean 3 entrances to the main rides are all right next to each other and DoDoDonpa pretty much runs the perimeter of the park. Even though some rides and coasters were closed for this visit I can't imagine spending more than a day there. Even with not knowing how crazy crowds will be or how many trains the coasters will run, I'd totally go stay at the Fuji Q resort if the weather is right for whenever I visit next. It'd be helpful to have that early entry time to grab the fast passes early if it's a weekend or not a perfect day. Honestly, that's how much I enjoyed the coasters!

I dont' recall hearing them saying they were closing lines, but I was likely on the Ferris Wheel at that point, if they stopped ~45 minutes before park close :)

I'm wary about ever wanting to go back, as I don't think I'd ever get as perfect a day as we got - even tho there are a few things I'd have liked to get on, and might be worth a return trip for (the pizza frisbee, the suspended family coaster, the Fujiyama museum there). . but I think I should take our "win" and be happy with it. . you know?

then again, I DID see a youtube report from Fuji-Q just after we were there, and the guy stayed overnight in an onsite "Capsule hotel" and he even mentioned it was worth the experience not just for the discounted tickets to the park, but also to stay in one.

so there's that as an incentive for ya.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:24 am

Great reports!

Panic Clock is actually a Vekoma. SFNE used to have the same model. The most unique thing about it is that the arms themselves tilt upwards at the start of the ride so you have clearance with the ride platform. Compare that to most other frisbee rides that have a sliding platform.

And that rapids ride truly is a soaker. Me and one other TPR member went without the poncho. We were so drenched that a few members in line saw us and bailed out.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Halloween Horror Nights & Universal Studios Florida

Postby bert425 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:24 am

its too bad I didn't get back to ride Panic Clock. . just wasn't enough time to ride everything, if I wanted re-rides on coasters (which I did).

I'm one of the odd ones out, in that I really enjoy flats too.. so to ME, Fuji-Q would be more than a 1 day park (or at least open until 10pm to give me 4 more hours). There are a lot of flat that I simply bypassed, but otherwise would have ridden, if I didnt' want to get multiple rides on the coasters.. . . and really, all of them were worth multiple rides .

despite choosing to stick with only 1 time on Fujiyama.

(but then again, I only rode Twisted Timbers once, and only once on Steel Vengeance - so the amount of rides doesn't mean a coaster isn't great, it just means there are other things at the parks I want to ride more (ie: I305 & Cedar Downs/Maverick) :P).
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MikeBalst1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:45 am

bert425 wrote:An opportunity made itself available to me earlier this year, to travel in Japan with Robb & Elissa during their October trip. Culminating with multiple days at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea.

Japan, and in particular, Tokyo Disneyland / Tokyo DisneySea have long been bucket-list things for me.

If I’m being completely honest, the TOP of my “bucket-list”, but I never dreamed I would have the opportunity due to my Spouse’s aversion to traveling outside of North America (as well as his physical limitations that would prevent a trip of this magnitude. Nevermind the amount of walking involved and the dealing with crowds. . no way could he handle the minimum 15 hours of Travel time it would take to get to Tokyo from Texas).

So when the opportunity presented itself, tho I immediately wanted to jump at it? I needed to consider. But the universe wanted it to happen:

1) my Father, out of the blue, cashed in a CD and sent me some $$ (the same day!), which was more than enough to cover all expenses for the tip, as well as enough spending money to really enjoy.

2) my Spouse, tho he knew he couldn’t possibly come along (see above physical limitations), said he knew that visiting Tokyo Disney was a dream of mine, and that this was the time to go for it.
Especially him knowing I’m as big a fan of Halloween things as I am a Disney fan.
He wasn’t thrilled with the idea of being home alone for 2 ½ weeks, but encouraged me to go for it.

3) my passport was still valid for just over 6 months until after the end of the trip.

So who am I to say “no” to the Universe when it’s so obvious that I should say yes?
So I quickly accepted the opportunity, despite having never been out of North America, and started to get myself psyched up for Japan. In October. With Parks (Universal & Disney in particular) set up for Halloween goodness!

I took over 8500 pictures, and tho I’ve been back for a couple of weeks now, I’ve just now started to go thru them. I promise I won’t post all of them, LOL (I take multiples to try and get a good one).
I’ll also try my best to stay on top of this TR, and update at least every few days.

My *huge* thanks to Robb & Elissa, for allowing me to join along with them on this October adventure.
And it was wonderful to spend time with friends I knew, as well as new friends I made, during this absolutely once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

I really do hope all these folks truly get how appreciative I am for this trip, and for the time spent with every one of them. It was absolutely life changing getting to experience the Culture, the Beauty, and the Halloween Decorations in Japan.

I was open to trying many, many new things as we made our way across Japan (and other than two things, most things I tried were incredible – even the Horse Sashimi).

And tho I had absolutely no shame in using my “trainers” – much to the amusement of the Tokyo locals early in the trip. . by the 2nd week during the Gyoza & Yakisoba making class, I was able to use chopsticks – if not exactly as intended, at least well enough to not embarrass myself. So see? It really was life changing :lmao:

Will try to get 1st day of travel and arrival in Japan up by end of weekend!

looking forwards to sharing my photos & experiences with the fine folks at TPR!
bert

How much I also dreaming to visit Tokyo, especially to Disneyland. P.S. I heard sushi in Japan is really incredible! :lover:

Postby bert425 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:27 am

^ OMG, you have no idea!

even the sushi sold at the 7-11's was incredible (tho those were mainly Nigiri pieces, or lots of varieties of Onigiri (with several of them containing fish options))

The Kobe Nigiri I had early in this report was likely the best thing I ate on the whole trip (non-Disney)

by far tho, the Sashimi options blew me away. . . I even tried Horse Sashimi (it wasn't bad. . a little gamey, it reminded me of Vennison).

So, So good.

It took me over 40 years to realize my dream of getting to visit Japan. I'd love to go back in the future too.
I highly recommend you go for it - save up and go. . it's a fantastic experience.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:43 pm

^ See you there again in.....say......2025, Bert? :wink: That's what we're saving for, for a future visit.
With all of the new stuff open and running, in both parks. Glad you finally got a first visit there. :mickey:
HolidayBakery.jpg
Chag Sameach, Bert & Nick!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby bert425 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:08 am

^ thanks Bill

and Merry Christmas to you and David!

Postby bert425 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:21 pm

It seemed that I'd already done a heck of a lot in Japan, and seen a ton (and I had). but this morning, Thurs, 10/10, was actually the "true" start of the trip with TPR.

Everyone that would be along with us had arrived, and this morning we were to be checked out of Shinagawa Prince Hotel, and head to Osaka for the first Official stop on this October/Halloween trip: Universal Studios Japan.

We met down in the lobby, and got ready to head to the Shinagawa station with Bags in hand.

Today was the day I (and I suspect many) had been looking forwards to the most thus far: traveling via Shinkansen (the Bullet Trains).

Before we got going, Elissa gathered us around to offer an update on Typhoon Hagibis. It was still a major storm (I believe it may have even been Category 5 on this morning), it was bigger than the entire Country of Japan. . but it was moving very slowly - so there was no telling what day exactly it was going to hit. . tho it was looking like Friday Night/Saturday.

This was good news for our full day at USJ the next day, but there was no guarantee that the park would stay open the entire day on Friday if a gigantic Typhoon was headed towards Japan. Elissa was going to keep an eye on the storm updates and keep us all in the loop.. and with that, we grabbed our carry bags, grabbed some snacks for the train from the close convenience store, and we headed across the street to the Shinagawa Station, but this time to the Shinkansen platforms.

We would be taking about a 2 1/2 hour train ride to Shin Osaka, before transferring to a local train for the short ride to Osaka station proper, next to Universal CityWalk, and just up the street from the Hotel we'd be staying in: Hotel Universal Port.
IMG_0284.JPG
here comes the Shinkansen pulling into the Shinagawa Station (and a few TPR folks, like me, taking pics of it as it arrives).

It was pulling in slowly (duh). . but it's so dang sleek looking. I really had never seen anything like it.
IMG_0285.JPG
we weren't on the fastest Shinkansen (as Elissa explained those make less stops), but the one we were on was the 2nd fastest, Shinkansen Hikari, which we were able to take with our Rail Passes.

I believe Jon clocked our train on his app as going ~158 MPH during the ride
IMG_0286.JPG
it's a pretty long train too.

we had reserved seats (a requirement for most of the cars, tho many of front cars are "open seating" with no specific seat reservation required).

Elissa taught us well, and during the trip when we had to take the Shinkensen, we always got reserved seats as a back up, even if we didn't always use them - one time we ended up taking an earlier train and Jon and I just got in an open seats car.
IMG_0288.JPG
pulling out of the station, you quickly start to pass some lovely countryside.

we weren't up to full speed just yet, so was able to get some fairly clear pics by moving the camera along with the landscape passing us by.
IMG_0290.JPG
when we hit that ~158 MPH speed tho, I snapped this pic without moving the camera.

yeah. . that's fast.

:)
IMG_0291.JPG
as we slowed down occasionally to pass thru stations, was able to get some really nice rural pics of Japan, as we headed from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka station.
IMG_0292.JPG
looking forwards in the car I'm in, with Allison and Alex in the seats in front of me.

the seats are really quite nice. Like a decent airline (and they reclined quite nicely too) and there was a trolley cart going up and down the center aisles every 50 minutes or so, selling snacks and drinks (including hot drinks).

a really nice experience.
IMG_0293.JPG
a little more "rural" pics, as we passed some more interesting buildings/scenery.
IMG_0295.JPG
after getting up to use the restroom in the space at the back of the train car (a really roomy space), I stopped and snapped this pic up the central aisle.

note the crawl over the doorway, warning about the approaching typhoon, and how some train services were expected to be suspended.

Also note: the little "balls" at the top of the seat corners, and the "pedals" down at the bottom of the seats.
when the train is going the opposite direction? the Stewards, can step on the pedal and using the ball-grips, rotate the seats! yep, these seats will flip completely around 180 so they face the opposite direction when the train heads that way.

really cool, and something I hadn't even considered would be how they handle the trains when it goes the opposite direction.
IMG_0298.JPG
and looking out the windows, I got another great glimpse of Mt Fuji. . again with no clouds.

not as close as we had been yesterday at Fuji-Q. . but I would have been thrilled if this was the only view I had gotten of it, since it was still SO clear out.
IMG_0300.JPG
will only share two pics from the train, since I took so many at Fuji-Q :p
IMG_0302.JPG
It's actually pretty hilly in these parts of Japan, between the major cities
IMG_0307.JPG
and a bit more urban than suburbs in places (I guess. . suburban ?).

it was all really interesting, and much more modern in places than I had expected (in the major cities? yes, I had expected very modern. .but these homes here are not "shacks" or "ancient buildings". . I was learning new things every day.
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG
these are one of the snacks I had grabbed at the 7-11 before leaving Shinagawa.

I had thought they would be nuts of some sort, but ended up being mildly sweet dough-balls.

they reminded me a lot of what I had gotten on a stick the day before at Fuji-Q.

i don't think I ate the whole bag. . but they weren't terrible.
IMG_0310.JPG
now this? this was something that Jon had been talking about for a few days, and he had gotten a box of 8 the prior day on the way back from the park.

Tokyo Banana

yep, that's what they are called.

they are a sponge (looked kind of like a Twinkie), but filled with a banana custard.

He gave me one of his treats to try.
IMG_0312.JPG
they are smaller than a Twinkie
IMG_0313.JPG
and much "squishier".. the consistency was more like a "Zinger". . but without any heavy cream top, so they were squishy all over
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG
and inside? OMG. . amazing Banana flavored Custard

Unlike most of the treats I tried in Japan, these were really Sweet - like most American deserts/pastries.
Honestly, I think maybe I could have only eaten 2 of them (since I don't like really sweet things)

but these were so good, and I'm happy I was sitting next to Jon so I got to try one.
IMG_0316.JPG
one of the very few actual stops on this Shinkensen Hikari, was in Nagoya.

I took several pics of the neighborhood around the Nagoya station as we slowed down to pull in.

the neon continued (and still does) to really enthrall me - even during the daytime, it's a lot of sensory input.
IMG_0317.JPG
you can see how close the Shinkensen tracks get to some of the buildings in Nagoya
IMG_0319.JPG
from our stop in the main Nagoya station, I managed to snap a pic of the Hotel we'd be coming back to stay in, in a few days: Meitetsu New Grand Hotel

(which was good, because when we came back in a few days, it wasn't going to be as a big group, so i was happy that I had simply managed to snap a pic of the hotel, so I knew exactly what to look for when we came to Nagoya a few days later).

if it looks like the hotel is covered with electronic ads? That's because the hotel shares it's building with a giant Electronics store - multiple floors (something like floors 2-6) are used by the electronics store, while the hotel has rooms starting on floor 7. Unfortunately, there's no access to the store from the hotel itself, and tho I really did want to go check it out? our days in Nagoya were really full, and just never made it. Tho that's a spoiler for a few days ahead :p

Still, it was cool to accidentally get a pic of our next hotel.
IMG_0321.JPG
Pulling out from Nagoya, and starting to pick up speed again.
IMG_0323.JPG
random snaps of Homes, and landscapes. . . giving a nice flavor of this part of Japan.
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG
tho as we came into Kyoto area, we started to see some larger complexes of shared houses/duplex
IMG_0329a.JPG
and some apartment buildings.
IMG_0330.JPG
our 2nd actual stop on the Shinkensen - Kyoto. . and we are getting fairly close to Shin-Osaka (maybe only 35 minutes or so more until our final stop)
IMG_0331.JPG
from the Shinkensen, as we're pulling out, you can get a wonderful view of the Pagoda at Toji Temple (which is the largest pagoda in Japan, and is classified as a World Heritage Site).

as much as I regret not having time to go back on our "travel back to Nagoya Day" to check this out (there were simply too many other things that I prioritized doing on that day). .I was thrilled that I got to see this with my own eyes.

even if it was thru the window of a train, passing by.

Still super inspiring to see.
IMG_0332.JPG
a slightly closer view of Toji Temple's Pagoda, as we pull off.
IMG_0333.JPG
and before I knew it? we were pulling into the Shin-Osaka Station.
IMG_0334.JPG
one quick change to a local train, and 1 stop down the line, and we were in Osaka.

When we left the train platforms, instead of exiting towards Universal Citywalk, we went out the opposite direction to the street.

Just up the street (the 2nd one in the back) is our Hotel for our stay here in Osaka: the Hotel Universal Port

(the closer one, Hotel Universal Port Vita, is apparently the newer "sister" hotel, and in Condor's recent trip report to Universal he stayed there if you're curious what the rooms/hotel look like).

but we were at Universal Port - directly across the (side) street from USJ.
IMG_0336.JPG
you can tell it's an official park hotel, by how decked out the lobby is with Minions displays & photo ops.

(they also have a desk to buy tix to the park here in the hotel, so no reason to line up at the ticket booths at the gates, if you don't have tix yet. I believe there was a slight discount by purchasing here too, if you do).

anyways, as I'll note below, our rooms weren't quite ready yet, so we put it in the corner of the lobby - covered by "protective" netting. . tho that wasn't really needed, since everything is VERY safe in Japan. I think even if the luggage had been sitting out in the middle of the lobby (instead of "netted" over in a corner area), it would have been fine.

While Elissa went to check out the room situation, I had time to roam around the largish lobby and snap some Minion pics.

I really do love how all the photo ops in Japan have little signs with the date on them. Makes for a very easy memory remember queue!

of course, since it was October, these Minions were all in "costume". . . LOL. . love the cape.
IMG_0339.JPG
More capes, and horns
IMG_0340.JPG
Minion wrap on the outside of the Elevator doors.

perfect, if a bit overwhelming. . the interiors of the Elevators were Minions & Mirrors *everywhere*
IMG_0341.JPG
the Main Entrance to the Hotel (we came in the side, past the small store and sweets shop).

if there wasn't a glare, that's the Back of USJ outside across the street.
IMG_0342.JPG
a peek at the registration/check in counter, with a long fishtank running the length of the desks behind them.
IMG_0343.JPG
More costumed Minions in the fountain on the other side of the lobby.

you could get a full "Minion" themed room, tho those aren't what we were booked for.
(regardless, our rooms had some Minion stuff in them anyways).
IMG_0344.JPG
Hi Elissa!

Thanks again for all the work you're putting into this trip to make sure we're all having a great time, and smooth traveling during the visit!

oh, and yeah. . .there's a guy in full scuba gear, just hanging out, cleaning the fish-tank.
IMG_0345.JPG
tho he did wave at me, when he saw I was taking a picture.

the Original, tentative, plan for today had been that we hang around Universal Citywalk for a little bit, check into Hotel, then meet back over in Citywalk for a group Lunch/Dinner at 4pm. After which we'd have free time in Osaka to go visit Dontonbori, or Umeda areas, or just do whatever we want.

but as Elissa had been keeping an eye on the Typhoon, she called a quick meeting in the lobby, to let us know:

1) the rooms weren't quite ready yet (it was just before 1pm, if I recall), and so we couldn't actually check in until ~3pm - when they expected to have them all available.

2) to hand out everyone's express passes and park tickets for the next day at USJ (we had four separate express passes, since the way that USJ does Express Passes is with certain rides on one of 2 different passes (some with timed slots). Add in Halloween Horror Nights? there were two Evening Express passes to cover the Haunts (and also additional rides).. so total four separate passes). Elissa and Robb had put together a little "cheat sheet" for us, so we could keep track, and that was REALLY appreciated.

& 3) and to let us know the status of the storm, and what impact it was going to have on the plans.

Typhoon Hagibis was still moving slowly, but it was absolutely going to impact our planned visit on Saturday to Central Park Himeji.

The issue was going to be the trains shutting down due to the storm, so although it may have been possible to get to Central Park on Saturday, getting back if the trains shut down would be a real problem (and it would have been about 2 1/4 hour trip each way - a couple of trains, and a 30 minute taxi ride to get to the Park).

So the safest thing to do, was to cut Central Park from the itinerary - which I don't think *anyone* on the trip had an issue with. of the 4 stops on the official itinerary (USJ/TDL-TDS/Nagashima Spaland/Central Park). . . Central Park was the one that I think everyone viewed as the most "missable".. even tho I'm sure it's a fine place, and would love to go there if I ever get back to Japan.

Along those lines, there were no guarantees what time the weather would start to turn tomorrow (on Friday, our day at USJ), so even tho the Park was telling hotel guests it would be open on Friday? there was no way for Universal to guarantee they would be open the full hours (8:30am - 10pm). Adding to some of the uncertainty, was that several of the "big ticket attractions" such as Flying Dinosaur, Backdrop, and the Haunts - were all with evening times on the Express Passes, so there was a very real possibility that the park would be shutting down early on Friday due to the storm.

Realizing this, it was noted that USJ *does* offer a discounted "late day entry", and if we wanted to be sure to get on certain rides, it might be worth our while to go to the park this afternoon.

With that on the table, the group meal for the afternoon was cancelled (in case folks wanted to hit USJ), and we were encouraged to go explore Universal Citywalk, eat something, pick up some snacks at the convenience stores there - as there was no telling if we'd be able to leave the Hotel at all on Saturday, and enjoy our Thurs on Osaka.
IMG_0346.JPG
a group of us headed off together to Citywalk, going down the street that runs between the front entrance of USJ & Citywalk. . so was able to snap these pics of Hollywood Dream as we walked by it.

hard to see in these pics, but the trains are covered in white glittering lights (the backdrop trains are covered in red lights)
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
there's the main entrance (from the street. . looking up at the bridge we have to go up to for the Park & Citywalk - on either side)
IMG_0350.JPG
Now on the bridge, looking towards USJ's main gates, and catching Hollywood Dream just cresting the lift hill, and about to drop.
IMG_0351.JPG
and turning around the other direction, and looking at Universal Citywalk

not super busy for lunchtime, but I think that's because the park doesn't have in/out privileges for folks to leave the park to go to Citywalk. So most folks over here just hadn't gone into the park (at least not yet) this day.
IMG_0352.JPG
we walked by this Neon/Blue King Kong a bunch of times, and still not sure if he was just a photo op, or was advertising something (wax museum? restaurant?).
IMG_0353.JPG
oh well..I treated him as a photo-op.
IMG_0355.JPG
Lots of interesting food options in Universal Citywalk. . including this place that we ALMOST went to.

a "NEVER in America" place where you deep fry your own food at the table!

We were eyeballing it, and Tabitha & David actually did go here, but some in the group were a little uncomfortable at the lack of sneeze-guards or any coverings over the raw items on the buffet, so the rest of us continued looking at other options.
IMG_0356.JPG
we ended up, funnily enough, at Yakiniku Karubii Champ - a Japanese Barbeque place - that had been the intended spot for the group lunch!

we didn't realize that until much later, and then had a nice laugh with everyone that we had managed to sorta/kinda stick to the group lunch plan anyways.

the food was ordered via an Ipad type system (something I saw a few times while in Japan), and then the plates of raw, or rare meats/veggies would be delivered to the table, and you cook them yourself on the pit in the center.

I didn't' see any napkins, tho by the drink station, there were some stacks of these neatly folded napkin-like things, so we took a few - even tho they didn't absorb very well.

eventually, we realized they are "bibs". . .LOL.. silly Tourists :P Here's Allison demonstrating the proper way to use this "napkin"
IMG_0357.JPG
and here's a shot of us at the table with our raw meat, and grill going.

(and I just noticed that I actually still do have my "trainers" on the chopsticks. I thought I had stopped using them earlier in the trip than this!. . but I don't use them at all at home now)
IMG_0358.JPG
after gorging ourselves on Japanese Barbecue - it was all really good! - it was still only 2pm or so. . so too early to head back to Hotel for check in, so we continued to roam around citywalk, and came across the Takoyaki food court.

yep, at least 8-10 separate stalls, all in one area, all selling different types of Takoyaki (Octopus).

as we were full, we just peeked in, and didn't buy anything. .but made a note to come back by later, or tomorrow.

we then hit up the convenience stores, where some folks picked up Sake to have in the rooms for "Typhoon day" . .or just for later :p

Somewhere in here, Elissa & Robb messaged the group that they had found a small grocery store just behind the TGI Fridays. So we headed that way too, and I (along with a couple of others), picked up a loaf of bread, peanut butter, jelly, bananas, and some snacks. Better to be prepared, and have it - just in case we were in the hotel and lost power in the upcoming storm.
IMG_0359.JPG
bags full of groceries, we headed back towards the hotel, hoping the rooms would be ready (it was just about 3pm).

here's a shot looking at Osaka from the corner of USJ & across the street from our Hotel (not in this pic).
IMG_0361.JPG
the rooms were ready, and so we all checked in and headed up.

We (along with David and Tabitha) had decided that we WOULD take advantage of the discounted "twilight" admission to USJ, so we would go relax in the rooms for a little bit, put away any food we had purchased, and meet down at the Ticket Counter in the lobby at 4pm (the park was open till 10, so that would give us over 5 1/2 hours in a park that many of us had never been to).

our rooms were all facing the water, rather than the park (I suspect the park facing rooms were mostly the Minion themed ones), but we all still had lovely views of the water.

and from the windows by the elevators, we could still look out and see the park.

here's my 1st view of Hogwart's. Having never been to a Universal Park as an adult, I was so damn excited to see this, that I took a picture.

Silly, I know. . especially since we'd be IN the park in a couple of hours.

what can I say? Tourist.
IMG_0364.JPG
The view from the window in my room.

I was a tiny bit concerned about having a window facing the water when a Typhoon is coming. . but figured they'd let us know if anything was to become unsafe.

And it really was a lovely view.

the room was really roomy too (I would remember to take pics of it when we got back later, so I'll have room pics in part 2 of this update from Osaka).
IMG_0362.JPG
NOTED.

this made me laugh. . and I didn't actually wear the slippers at all during our stay in this hotel. (I just stuck to socks)

but it was nice they were there if I wanted to.
IMG_0363.JPG
This hotel has a separate room for bath/shower, and Toilet, with a little hand wash sink in the toilet room.

I had already gotten fairly accustomed to Japanese Toilets by this point, and was loving them . . but this one was the most complicated one I'd seen thus far.

SO. MANY. BUTTONS.

and as I posted on Facebook when I took this picture?

That button on the far upper right just scares me. . no way, no how, was I gonna push that one!

launch you off the toilet. . .LOL

continued (hopefully in the next couple of days) with part II, as we headed downstairs to the ticket counter, and into the park for the evening.
Last edited by bert425 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:55 pm.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Great report! A couple of notes...

- This day we transferred WITH our luggage as we wanted to make sure we had it all same day to check in to the hotel early enough.

- The 'speed' of the trains on the Shinkansen line we were on are all the same. What makes the Nozomi (no rail passes allowed) trains 'faster' is that they make less stops. So again the speed is the same, it's the duration that's shorter. Does that make sense? When we head north of Tokyo on the Shinkansen (not this trip but on others) we go on Shinkansen trains that actually travel at a faster speed than any of the ones you're not allowed to with the rail pass on the busier lines.

- Japanese toilets are terrifying but amazing.

- Minion themed rooms would give me nightmares and I will never book them!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!