TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major fire at Star City amusement park in the Philippines

Star City fire causes P1 billion in damage; management says to try to reopen this year

3jnfakaa90q31.png

20191002-star-city-mc-46807-2.jpg

20191002-Star-City-fire.jpg

Image: CDN News

20191002-fire-star-city-pasay-md-4534-(1)_1.jpg

MANILA - The fire that razed Star City amusement park in Pasay City before dawn Wednesday left an estimated P1 billion in damage.

Ed de Leon, spokesperson of Star City owner Star Parks Corporation, said this Wednesday afternoon, but added that park management would try to reopen within the year.

"We will try to open this year. Depending on the assessments of our engineers," de Leon told ABS-CBN News in a text message.

The park earlier said it may not be able to open in time for Christmas, a peak season, and estimated that operations might resume in October 2020.

The fire that struck 12:22 a.m. Wednesday razed some 80 percent of the park and damaged nearby buildings, including facilities of radio and television network Manila Broadcasting Company (MBC).

ABS CBN News

------

This is a shame. I've admittedly never heard of the park but it actually looks like it was a cool little place. Personally I think it may be too early to take that 80% number as gospel but the images certainly don't look good.

Edited by coasterbill

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad news. I visited the park earlier this year and they were hard at work with expansions/developments in both the indoor and outdoor portions of the park. They just opened a new coaster too, and looking at some aftermath pictures, it looks like it was one of the ride casualties (yeah, it was just an SBF Visa spinner, but it was a hell of an upgrade from the garbage coaster it replaced). Wishing the best for the park. It has its own personality that just screams "Philippines."

EDIT: Here's a before and after.

DSC00835.thumb.JPG.1dbfb66811b15611769a0968ace706c6.JPG

Before (Picture taken in February)

71494091_2752311911447875_7501177978945011712_n.jpg.392755a07653d914ac49dc8c37422818.jpg

After (unknown source)

I was actually just reading your trip report and it does look like a cool little place. I'm intrigued by the knockoff Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Apparently knockoff Pirates of the Caribbean rides attract devastating fires.

The Pirates knockoff was such an entertaining hot mess. From the awkward animatronics, to the scenes clearly ripping off the original ride, to the scenes clearly ripping off the movies, to the out of place props that were probably taken from a closed attraction, to the fact that it felt like our raft was sinking. It's probably for the better the ride was put out of its misery.

IMG_1396.thumb.jpeg.6e6ed7b0ae321153176878e7da79163d.jpeg

Hard to tell, but we were listing an alarming amount the whole ride.