TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

E World Accident

Apologies that there's no English, I waited a few days to see if one came up but there was still nothing. It seems a part-time worker somehow got hit by a train and had his leg amputated, surgeons also failed to re-attach it due to contamination from lubricants and other things.

In relation to the Daegu E-World part-time student's bridge cutting accident, the issue of safety management in the amusement park is emerging.

In particular, E-World, which had an accident, was found to have one part-time worker taking turns in the operation of rides and passenger safety checks.

E-World's fifth-month-old student A, 22, who had been in an accident on the 16th, was assigned to work on a hurricane, a roller coaster ride.

Like A, part-time students who work on Attraction Jockey (AJ) in E-World are assigned to their own rides according to their schedule.

Training and hands-on courses must be completed before formal assignments to ride operations.

An official of E-World said, “Ride work is not only for the regular staff but also for regular staff.

At 6:50 pm at the time of the accident, a fellow part-time student was in charge of the shift in conjunction with the shift, and Mr. A was checking passenger safety.

E-World explained that roller coaster rides were often operated by one employee even before the

accident.

Last September, the safety sensor of the ride 'Boomerang' stopped in response to the falling leaves.

In August and February of this year, cable cars stopped and passengers were trapped.

In February of the same year, the ride came to a halt due to a malfunction of the Camelback ride.

It is pointed out that the practice of one employee operating a ride that always raises concerns about safety accidents has raised safety disagreement.

A police official said, "The current law does not have a detailed regulation that mandatory placement of a few employees per ride."

The police will investigate whether E-World has properly conducted safety training on the operation of the rides and whether there has been a breach of administrative obligations.

In addition, considering the psychological state of Mr. A who finished the suture operation, he plans to investigate the statement after 7-10 days.

Mr. A was reportedly unable to perform splicing due to severe damage to his bones and muscles and contamination of the cut.

A police official said, “We will investigate the state of fruit and plant at the scene of the accident and jointly investigate with the medical and safety accident investigation team of the Metropolitan Investigation Unit against the related persons such as the detector.”

Earlier, Mr. A took a passenger safety check at the Daegu E-World ride `` hurricane '' at about 6:50 pm on the 16th. Was cut.

The accident ride was a 380m long, 23m high, 24-seater roller coaster ride with six passenger cars.

Source

20190819154536817543_6_710_473.jpg

It seems one of the questions that is starting to rise mostly aimed at this park but people are mentioning about the others now is about the common use of mostly part-time workers and students as the operators in the parks and how few can be running it. If you look back at some of my Korean park posts I actually warned people off weekdays because rides in each area would run half-day shifts. One ride in each area would be 10-2 and another 4-10 suggesting a shared workforce or a roller-coaser with multiple trains and 10-40 min lines once all 3 trains were on (trains would still be testing the first hour or two with one ready for riders) would run 60-90 on weekdays with less trains and less staff. I even mentioned in my last TR, I barely saw any workers at most of the big 3 parks older than me.

The park CEO has also issued an apology

We apologize for any confusion regarding the safety incident of Hurricane, E-World. At around 7 pm on August 16, an accident occurred injured in the leg of our staff, A, who operated a model at Hurricane, an amusement facility in the world. I'm sorry as a person. First of all, I would like to express my deepest condolences to the injured staff and their families. At present, staff members of this world, including myself, are waiting in hospital 24 hours a day, joining the treatment process. With regard to future treatments, we will provide necessary support at the company level so that sufficient treatment can be achieved as patients and families want. Immediately after an accident, the World immediately stopped the operation of the play area, and actively cooperates with the investigation to find out the circumstances of the incident, and conducts a check on the play facility and operation process. In order to prevent future recurrences, we will conduct safety checks on all the rides again and reinforce the safety regulations as well as educate employees. Police investigations are currently underway regarding the cause and cause of the accident. As soon as the results of the investigation, we will formally inform you of the future measures, as well as establishing improvement plans to show our customers this world safe. We apologize for the concern of all our customers. August 19, 2019
Edited by Garet

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Good spot, since I was translating an image I accidentally cropped out the first line so the context got changed for the translation, I've updated it to 'We apologize for any confusion regarding the safety incident of Hurricane, E-World.' It's referencing that some of the anger is that the park can't explain what exactly went wrong or how it happened.

An English article has finally emerged:

Part-time roller coaster worker loses a leg

Exact details are not confirmed because victim is in shock

Aug 20,2019

19200830.jpg

Police officers and forensic investigators examine the Hurricane roller coaster ride at E-World in Daegu Monday after a 22-year-old part-timer lost a part of his right leg last Friday. [NEWS 1]

The E-World amusement park in the southeastern city of Daegu apologized on Monday for a ghastly accident in which a 22-year-old part-time employee lost his right leg below the knee after getting it stuck in a moving roller coaster last week.

In a statement issued three days after the tragedy, E-World vowed to pay for all medical treatments for its employee. E-World added it would actively cooperate in ongoing police investigations and devise measures to improve safety in the amusement park.

It is still not known exactly how the victim was maimed. Daegu police said Monday they were unable to question the worker given his state of mental shock.

Last Friday at around 7 p.m., the victim was working at one of E-World’s most popular rides, the Hurricane roller coaster. He had worked at the amusement park for five months after being discharged from compulsory military service.

According to police, he was about to change shifts with a 20-year-old colleague, before the victim made sure all the passengers were safely buckled in their seats of the four-car roller coaster.

Just as the roller coaster started to take off, the victim, who was himself in the last car, fell off the ride about 10 meters (33 feet) away from the starting point. His right leg fell between the rails and the wheels of the car, which severed it, said police.

It is unclear why the worker was in the last car, but officers believe he was following a bad habit of workers on that ride. They would check passengers’ safety then hop in an empty car and get off right before the roller coaster leaves the main base. That brought them to the exit, where they would help passengers off the ride at its completion.

Police said it was only after the roller coaster returned to the main base that the 20-year-old part-timer realized his co-worker was injured. The victim was immediately transported to a nearby hospital, but doctors were unable to reattach the right leg.

Doctors treating the victim told the JoongAng Ilbo Monday that they closed the wound and were focusing on treating the injured leg. The victim will soon be offered a prosthetic leg and undergo rehab, along with psychological therapy, they told the paper.

Daegu police said they were planning to summon managers and other workers at E-World to check whether they followed safety rules.

BY KIM JUNG-SEOK [lee.sungeun@joongang.co.kr]

Source

If it's true that he was fooling around (even if it was common practice) and that's what caused the injury then this is a big wake up call indeed. Some of the stuff I've seen employees do is crazy. One small misstep when jumping over track, moving right before or after the train leaves the station, or 'surfing' the coaster can cause serious injury or death!

Yep. There's a reason you wait for the dispatcher to clear you on crossing over the track. I've seen so many ride ops make the motion as they're crossing rather than waiting to be cleared. Sure, the ride's not going anywhere, but there's a reason for the protocol.

Kind of reminds me of the time I was at Mt. Olympus and my friend and I witnessed a maintenance worker as he stood waiting on the platform until the one train on Hades dispatched. Then he jumped down onto the track and sprayed something on some part of the track (possibly something to do with the breaks...not sure) all the while looking over his shoulder and listening for the train to come back around. Then he would jump back up on the platform as the train headed for the brake run. It just blew my mind that someone would be allowed to do maintenance or repair work on the track while the ride was running, especially at a US park.

Obviously not a good idea to be on the track (or jumping over it) while the ride is running.

Daegu E-World closes for three days after a part-time employee's leg was cut.

E-World Group's amusement park, E-World, said it will close on 26-28 to inspect the entire play facility and train employees in safety. E-World said, “We decided to close this course to conduct proper facility inspections and safety education so that we can solve the anxiety of customers and create an E-World where we can find and believe. Training will take place throughout the day so that all employees of E-World will have time to reconsider their safety concerns. ”

The police, which are speeding up the E-world accident investigation, are planning to announce the results of the interim investigation this week. The police reportedly secured a meaningful statement from a part-time employee, a, who was cut off his leg. E-World's former employees also got a statement saying, "There was a practice of riding behind the roller coaster," and "I didn't get the safety training properly." The police are analyzing books and computer data obtained by seizing and searching E-World on the 23rd.

Source

Daegu E-World will close for three days from 26 to 28. E-World is an amusement park where a part-time employee's leg was cut off on the 16th of this month.

E-World explained on its official website that it will be closed for the entire play facility inspection and employee safety training. However, 83 Tower in E-World will be open during the holiday.

According to the fire authorities, Mr. A, who was working part-time at E-World, was working at the amusement park 'Hurricane' around 6:50 pm on the 16th.

At the time of the accident, Mr. A was working to ensure that passengers wore safety bars properly before the hurricane departed. On-site staff noticed that Mr. A fell on the rail below 10 meters from the starting point after the train had made a turn around the rail.

When A rescued, the shank area under the right knee had already been cut. Mr. A was urgently taken to a hospital in Dalseo-gu immediately after the rescue. However, the operation to suture the amputated leg was not successful.

Mr. A said in a police investigation, “I stood at the back of the roller coaster, and tried to jump from the front of the compartment, but my foot slipped past the platform, and as the instrument returned to the right, I got out of balance and jumped to the left bush. ”.

Mr. A's statement is consistent with the testimony of the former E-World employee, who stood behind the roller coaster and then jumped to the platform when the train left.

Yoo Byung-cheon, CEO of E-World, said on the homepage, "I would like to express my deepest condolences to the employees and family members who have been in this accident and sincerely apologize for causing concern to Daegu citizens and many others."

“We will secure the highest level of safety by establishing a safety management office directly under the CEO.” “We are supporting our employees in case of accidents to be the best treatment environment. We are also discussing the future of the accident staff closely with our families. ”

Source

Translated from Korean since the article in the post above is still the only one out of all the English newspaper sites in Korea.

Gyeongju World is the top park in Korea now IMO. I’ll take two solid, efficient B&M’s over nonsense with schedules and PT operations currently taking place at Everland and Lotte World. Plus GW has a pretty decent collection of flats now too.

^I agree, I've had more pleasant trips there since the expansion than the other parks. I do wish Phatheon had a second train or more staff though. Now I just hit that ride first and then avoid it for the rest of the day. My last two trips the train was going out once every 8 minutes or so and with all the food vendors near the entrance, I was getting jumped so often with people going out and back for food that it made for a miserable barely moving line in the afternoon.

• 1 month later...
E-World , I will follow up safety measures

" Create an environment where everyone can find safe ”

Last week, play facilities ' Hurricane ' in connection with the accident in the last 19 Let me follow up measures and improvements promised in the entrance door one

First of all, I would like to express my deepest condolences to the employees and family members who had this accident.

We sincerely apologize for any concern you have received .

We have been conducting investigations and media reports from the police , labor and jurisdictions since the last accident .

And to cooperate actively in the interview , we work with all the responsibilities will do my posture .

In the endless efforts to overcome the management difficulties that have been experienced since Ubang Land

This opportunity will be used to identify operational shortcomings that could not be improved and to prevent recurrence.

We have prepared alternatives, and the cost or time commitment of safety

We will never compromise on our top priority .

Through this, we will build the best amusement park safety system in Korea .

Let me talk about a specific alternative

First , we will establish a safety management office under the CEO to ensure the highest level of safety .

Safety Management Office to be established separately from the currently operating 3 divisions ( Business Management Division , Sales Division , Support Division ) and more disposed to reward departments , the World within the facility , organization , personnel , operations , training, etc.

I will supervise everything about safety .

The head of operations of the safety management office recruits reputable external experts

We will fully reinforce the safety staff .

In addition , we will conduct safety education under the supervision of the general manager .

Safety education will create its own program at a higher level than the legal mandatory standard . Only personnel who have completed the course will be placed on site .

Completely reorganized the safety accident emergency organization, so that only the shortest time should be taken in the event of an accident

In addition , we will establish a system for caring for victims and preventing accidents after the accident .

We will also improve the working environment where employees can focus on safety . for teeth

We will install additional private lounges and showers to ensure our employees have plenty of rest .

Second . E-World will carry out major safety facility upgrades for all amusement facilities .

First of all, all domestic amusement facilities have the highest level of safety

We will do it again by the end of September so that you can use it without worrying about safety .

In addition, 30 of the dogs Attraction 80 for the improvement of facilities more than 30, more than one hundred million won

We will reflect the additional budget sequentially from the older ones .

In addition , we have strengthened our safety management system by installing additional CCTVs in the blind spots.

We will enjoy playing facilities in a comfortable environment .

Third . This is a support plan for employees who have an accident .

At present , we are providing the best treatment environment for employees who have been in an accident .

In addition, support for the treatment of accident workers and guardians and rehabilitation

E-World has said that I will take responsibility .

Since then, we have been discussing with the family about the future of the accident staff .

E-World takes responsibility for this

I'll fix it completely . That's why we will make the best theme park in Korea .

As a local representative company that breathes with citizens , the media , and local organizations

I will be born again .

Thank you .

Aug 23, 2019

E-World CEO Yoo Byung-cheon

Source

Google translation of the newest statement so apologies for some wonky statements. Ubangland being a translation of the parks old name.