Photo TR: A.J. versus the 2019 TPR Europe Trip!

Or: You can do THAT in a city park?!?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Photo TR: A.J. versus the 2019 TPR Europe Trip!

Postby A.J. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 am

DBru wrote:Did you get the chance to ride the megalite inside Kinderland?

There was a Mega Lite inside Kinderland and I missed it?!?

SharkTums wrote:I also found Fury to be the real surprise hit of the trip. I hope we see a lot more of these start being built!

Fury was so good. It kind of makes me want to go ride some of the others of its type like Karnan, or Junker, or HangTime.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Photo TR: A.J. versus the 2019 TPR Europe Trip!

Postby A.J. » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Episode 2 - "A Quick Romp Through Amsterdam", or, "What I Thought Was A Quick Romp But Actually Wasn't"

The official first day of this year's Europe trip was actually a half day, we didn't intend on departing for Efteling until the afternoon. That gave me the chance to experience a little slice of Amsterdam, having had to rush to the hotel the day before.

First thing's first - Amsterdam's public transportation systems are ridiculously easy to navigate even as someone who has never had to really use public transportation before. You go up to the kiosk, you get your ticket, you scan to go through the gates, and you board. I've never seen such a seamless experience outside of MagicBands at Walt Disney World. It's too bad that no major cities in the United States seem to have it as good as Amsterdam - the tram cars are swipe in / swipe out, the metro trains are clean, the intercity trains are comfortable... It's like I had stepped foot into a first-world country.

I took the train into the city, but sadly without the intention to try out one of the [apparently] amazing coffee shops. Instead, I went somewhere else.

DSC_0181_WM.jpg
I saw some canals...

DSC_0189_WM.jpg
...and some architecture...

DSC_0196_WM.jpg
...and some tram cars! Watch the tram car please!

After getting off of the tram car and snapping a few photos of the nearby canals, I began a hike that ended up being way longer than I intended it to be...

Behold, the Vondelpark!

DSC_0204_WM.jpg

The park is named after a Dutch playwright, Joost van den Vondel. It's pretty big, 47 hectares. One fun fact is that apparently, you are allowed to have sex in the park during evening hours, so long as it's not near the park's playground, for obvious reasons. If that, plus Amsterdam's red light district, don't convince you of Amsterdam's attitude toward the fun times, then, well, you should probably have your eyes examined.

The park itself is just drop dead gorgeous everywhere. There are so many nice places where you can sit down in the shade, or you can take a walk in the rose garden, or just relax on the swaths of open lawns. After a hectic day on the plane to get to Amsterdam and the day at Bobbejaanland, it was nice to just sit down, breathe, and be grateful that I made it to the Netherlands in one piece in the first place.

I expected to walk a lot - I probably walked over two and a half miles inside the park and still found new things to see! I was diligent on my time as I was there but there was just a little bit of dread when I realized that I was all the way at the west end of the park and had to make the trek all- the- way- back. It certainly made the bus ride to Efteling much more comfortable.

Note: No cyclists, nor redheads, were harmed in the making of this trip report.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves... Next time, is it really true that Efteling is better than a Disney park?
DSC_0220_WM.jpg
DSC_0239_WM.jpg
DSC_0256_WM.jpg
DSC_0288_WM.jpg
DSC_0299_WM.jpg
DSC_0309_WM.jpg
DSC_0318_WM.jpg
DSC_0336_WM.jpg
DSC_0347_WM.jpg
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!