Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:39 pm

^Pretty sure the hotel has already even been announced in the long term plan!

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:50 pm

Robin Hood Goes Untamed: Walibi Holland

Walibi Holland is a park that’s gone through a lot of changes over the years. It started out as an educational/agricultural park (Flevohof), which went bankrupt. The Walibi Group took over in the early 1990s, and developed it into Walibi Fievo and built the first-ever Satan’s Looping Coaster, El Condor. Then Premier took over and transformed the place into Six Flags Holland, which explains why it has a big Intamin coaster named . . .

000.jpg

The park was sold once again and reverted back to Walibi. It’s been improving pretty steadily since then, too, and now boasts three of the best coasters in Europe (El Condor aside).

And what ride is now the park’s biggest star? The Coaster Formerly Known as Robin Hood: Untamed! Yes, RMC has worked its magic again, taking an old Vekoma woodie that was, well, OK on its best day and building a crazy air-time machine on the same footprint. It has all the RMC touchstones, such as the weird ride to the lift hill, the crazy inversions, and an insane double-down. It throws you around like a rag doll, and you’ll love every minute of it. Even the theming is cool--sort of a hippy music festival/post-apocalypse look.

The park’s other two top coasters, Goliath and Lost Gravity, are still great, and I’m rather fond of Xpress (or “Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Unboxed”). They even did a nice job theming a Boomerang (if you like that sort of thing).

Robb set up some great filming/ERT sessions on the top-three coasters, and the park treated us really well. Thanks for the best day at Walibi yet!
Attachments
001.jpg
Wait? How did Steve get here first? What’s he up to?
002.jpg
Oh, he’s scouting ahead and marking the trail to Untamed for us.
003.jpg
It’s both a car and a driving range--the ultimate in luxury!
005.jpg
It took us three days, hiking through the Wilderness to reach . . .
006.jpg
. . . the abandoned music festival site that was once Sherwood Forest.
006a - Copy.jpg
Do not mistake the Untamed test seat for an outhouse.
007 - Copy.jpg
The trains do look kind of trippy.
008 - Copy.jpg
They took Verbolten’s “nature out of control” theme and ran with it.
009 - Copy.jpg
I like how the trains look like giant bugs . . . oh, wait, that’s just the TPR members.
010.jpg
Yes, the train actually makes it up this thing.
011.jpg
Hmm--I guess the empty seat was mine.
012.jpg
Untamed is perfectly named.
012a.jpg
Oh, man! I hate it when you really need to take a dump, but the last person forgot to mow the toilet.
012b.jpg
I know, right? (Untamed had some of the most unusual theming ever.)
013.jpg
The answer to so many questions; particularly, “What do you want for lunch?”
014.jpg
Next up was Lost Gravity--the ride that looks like it has no right to be as great as it is.
015.jpg
One of Mack’s best creations.
016.jpg
I’d love to see other parks build rides like Lost Gravity. I think we have enough Dive Machines and Wing Coasters, thank you.
017.jpg
Are you breathless after mowing the toilet because someone neglected to do it? Try Toilets XPress--the Self-Mowing Commode! OK, there are bathrooms in this building along with the entrance to the XPress launched coaster. This sign has nothing to do with self-mowing toilets.
018.jpg
XPress gets points for including a classic horror movie poster in the queue.
019.jpg
The queue does give you a “weird feeling,” like “Dracula’s Daughter.”
020.jpg
This is where you wait for the train. Lights flash through the windows on the doors, and there are creepy subway noises.
020a.jpg
Well, if you’re gonna operate a Vekoma Boomerang, at least jazz it up a bit and use the good trains and restraints, right? Heck, even I was OK with riding this one.
021.jpg
But there was no way I was riding El Condor, again.
022.jpg
I think the guy in the green shirt behind Larry is dead.
022a.jpg
I salute this gentleman for his testicular fortitude and devotion to his charity. More to come!

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:44 pm

One more look at a great day at Walibi. My thanks to Robb, Elissa, and the park for making it so.
Attachments
023.jpg
Er, Merlin? You OK? The HOA has some concerns about how you decorated your magic castle.
024.jpg
I didn’t know Merlin was a Kubrick fan. Or maybe he’s spun around in his Mad House for too long.
025.jpg
“I WILL SWALLOW YOUR SOULS . . .
026.jpg
. . . unless you clean my garage.”
027.jpg
Time for a backstage look at “Rock ‘n’ Roll Coaster: Buck Nekkid.”
028.jpg
Ever wondered what listening to Aerosmith was doing to you?
029.jpg
Now you know.
030.jpg
Yes, this is your brain on Aerosmith--kind of clunky, but you still kind of enjoy it.
030a.jpg
Yes, it’s rough around the edges, but I still like this ride, whether it's in the Netherlands or Florida.
031.jpg
We moved on to a little ride named Goliath.
032.jpg
Perhaps you’ve heard of it.
033.jpg
Intamin strikes!
034.jpg
The Dutch seem to like it.
035.jpg
It looks like they’re doing calisthenics.
036.jpg
The new Intamin Workout Plan: Just ride your favorite Intamin hyper- or mega-coaster and feel the burn!
037.jpg
One last look at this crazy air-and-hair-time machine.
038.jpg
Who’s ready for some more Untamed?
039.jpg
RMC likes weird runs to the lift hill. Untamed’s just leans way over, and it’s my favorite--nicely done.
040.jpg
Untamed is, indeed, “frekking fresh” and “ice ice creamy.”
040a.jpg
Remember: All you need is love, . . .
041.jpg
. . .a wide-open mouth, . . .
042.jpg
. . . and the hope that you won't swallow a bug on Untamed.
043.jpg
I think the little girl liked it. Just a hunch. Not so sure about the little boy behind her.
044.jpg
This doesn’t look natural, but it’s still amazing.
045.jpg
I think RMC rides are built by contortionists.
046.jpg
I took a lot of rides on Untamed, but this double-down caught me off guard each time. The poor dude in front was forced to comfort himself.
047.jpg
And just when you think it can’t get any crazier, . . .
048.jpg
. . . this is the finish! Untamed is very intense, yet very re-rideable.
049.jpg
Yes, sometimes I appear on Robb’s rider cam. That’s all for now.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Did we seriously ever figure out what the actual theme of that ride is!?!? I don't care because the ride is awesome and the 'theme' works, but I would love to know what was going through the designers minds when creating it...wait a minute, I figured it out...They went to the NeuroGen attraction first, and then came up with that craziness!

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:55 pm

SharkTums wrote:Did we seriously ever figure out what the actual theme of that ride is!?!? I don't care because the ride is awesome and the 'theme' works, but I would love to know what was going through the designers minds when creating it...wait a minute, I figured it out...They went to the NeuroGen attraction first, and then came up with that craziness!

I accept this hypothesis. It would certainly explain the whole "fever dream" atmosphere of Untamed.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:34 pm

SharkTums wrote: I figured it out...They went to the NeuroGen attraction first, and then came up with that craziness!

Yes, that must be it. You know I'll be writing about NeuroGen shortly, since no one else braved the line to find the excellence.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:43 pm

larrygator wrote:
SharkTums wrote: I figured it out...They went to the NeuroGen attraction first, and then came up with that craziness!

Yes, that must be it. You know I'll be writing about NeuroGen shortly, since no one else braved the line to get raped in the butt.

FIXED!

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:27 am

Great report! Thank you for describing Untamed's theme perfectly. All the theming in this park is strange, but it just works.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:56 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! Thank you for describing Untamed's theme perfectly. All the theming in this park is strange, but it just works.

Thank you. One has to give Walibi points for original thinking with how they themed Untamed, Lost Gravity, Speed of Sound (the Boomerang), and XPress.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 am

Wacky theming aside, I really do appreciate just how much Walibi has invested in its parks to make them their own thing compared to feeling like Six Flags' old European parks. Their recent investments really show that they're serious about keeping these parks vibrant and revisit-friendly!

Thank you for sharing all of these great photos! I'm living vicariously through all of these TPR Europe reports! =)
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS