RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

UPDATE: Drievliet & Duinrell, p. 7
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:54 am

Great report as usual, Chuck...thanks for sharing the adventures!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:49 pm

From the Walls of Troy to the Fields of Avalon: Toverland

Back in 2008, Toverland was like a particularly good, eccentric FEC on steroids themed to elves and magic, with a touch of science fiction and ancient Greek history. The park was a large indoor/outdoor “playground” with some rides, including two big coasters, Troy and Booster Bike. I remember much mayhem as TPR members played on a bunch of “never in the U.S.” playground equipment. I think there were some minor injuries, but no deaths.

It was good then. It’s better now, with the addition of a water-play area named Port Laguna and Avalon, a realm dedicated to the days of King Arthur. Avalon boasts a B&M Wing Coaster named Fenix and Merlin’s Quest, a boat ride (along with shopping, dining, and some pretty gardens, of course).

I’m not a big fan of B&M Wing Coasters, but I enjoyed Fenix--from the beautiful theming in the queue and station to the ride itself. My big problem with most Wing Coasters is that they “meander” between their various elements, while the vest restraints squeeze the breath out of you like a python squashing its prey. But Fenix doesn’t waste a lot of time “meandering”; it shoots through its various inversions and other tricks quickly and provides some nice air time along the way. This is my favorite of the B&M Wing Coasters I’ve ridden.

Merlin’s Quest is not only a nice boat tour of Avalon, but also a very good dark ride through Merlin’s “treasure chamber.” He certainly had a lot of books, in addition to a mermaid, stashed in a very colorful cavern. Merlin’s underground river winds under the twisted tower of Fenix, which reminded me a bit of the tower the old wizard used in Disney’s “The Sword and the Stone.”

How about the rest of Toverland? Troy is still a fun, large GCI wooden coaster, and the Vekoma Booster Bike is still good. I liked how they rethemed the old Bobkarts, too. Looking good, Toverland.

Well, better get a move on. Robb has a filming session set up for Fenix, and we might be in for some rain later.
001.jpg
Good morning, everyone. Hello, Troy.
001a.jpg
What is the name of this park? How do we get in? It is all a mystery!
002.jpg
I’m going to say . . . here?
003.jpg
Are we sure we’re at Toverland? I have no memory of this “Port Laguna.” I feel like Gandalf in the Mines of Moria!
004.jpg
Where the heck is Fenix? You think there’d be a sign or something.
005.jpg
Toverland went crazy making the queue look like a tunnel to a witch’s cave or something. I presume the witch is Morgana, being as this is Avalon and there’s also a ride about Merlin nearby.
006.jpg
Or maybe it’s themed to a political talk show?
007.jpg
Who is that mysterious spectre at the end of the hall . . . oh, it’s just Elissa. Never mind.
008.jpg
Nice station. Nice station to get cursed in!
009.jpg
My hat's off to B&M and Toverland--nice job!
010.jpg
I guess Brad and Steve liked it.
011.jpg
Riders on this train seem to like it.
012.jpg
Not so sure about Larry and Andrew.
013.jpg
“We’re following the leader! The leader! The leader!” (This is for all you fans of Disney's "Peter Pan.")
014.jpg
Oh, yeah--this spinning coaster was new to me, too.
015.jpg
This was, well, no Fenix, but it wasn't bad, either.
016.jpg
If you like Sierra Sidewinder, you’ll probably like Dwervelwind.
017.jpg
Is a troll is fishing from Jack Skellington’s head, or am I seeing things? Did Dwervelwind spin me a bit more than I thought?
018.jpg
We embarked on a journey, . . .
019.jpg
. . . which involved many perils, . . .
020.jpg
. . . to join the Greek armies at the gates of Troy!
021.jpg
Sheesh! You make one joke about Greeks bearing gifts . . . Agamemnon has no sense of humor.
022.jpg
Hmm . . . it was quite clever of mighty Agamemnon and crafty Odysseus . . .
023.jpg
. . . to build both a wooden horse and coaster . . .
024.jpg
. . . to distract and entertain the people of Troy while the Greeks looted and burned their city.
025.jpg
It’s not exactly “Tron,” but it is a Booster Bike.
026.jpg
This is Toos Express. It is an indoor Vekoma Junior Coaster themed to a train that was once named “Boomerang.” It should in no way be confused with a Vekoma Boomerang, despite once being named “Boomerang.” I hope this matter is now clear.
027.jpg
Before Universal had Diagon Alley, Toverland had Toverhuis.
028.jpg
Test your wizarding skills, if your wand works.
029.jpg
Amphibious expectoratum! More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:27 pm

We still have some time left at Toverland. Let's make the most of it.
030.jpg
“Join us on the Pyramid of Death, kiddies! Face your mortality with a smile!”
030a.jpg
Toverland once had just plain ol’ Bobkarts.
030b.jpg
Then some guy in lederhosen discovered that high-powered schnapps made great fuel.
030c.jpg
Thus, Blitzbahn was born!
031.jpg
Meanwhile, back in Avalon, . . .
032.jpg
. . .Fenix is being very photogenic.
033.jpg
Merlin called. He has some frickin’ quest for us.
034.jpg
Hmm--I think our quest involves that rickety looking old tower.
035.jpg
We have found the lost encyclopedias of Merlin! Now we can look up all that Harry Potter crap!
036.jpg
“Hroom! Hroom! I am an ent! No one is entirely on my side. Perhaps I'll just get drunk.”
037.jpg
Nobody messes with Merlin’s mer-chick. The “dark-ride” section was much longer than we thought it would be and very well done.
038.jpg
Merlin conjures up some great views of Fenix from his ride.
039.jpg
Check out this path on the right. This is for guests, not just park staff, and it runs along the water with no fence and very close to Fenix. Never in the U.S.
040.jpg
A boat and a coaster train in one shot! I rule!
041.jpg
How often can you get this close to a big coaster without being on a backstage tour?
042.jpg
One of these water jets grazed my head.
043.jpg
“We have reports of a back up on the reversing flume ride.”
044.jpg
“If you do not have to be on the flume, stay where you are until this situation is cleared.” Sounded like good advice.
044a.jpg
Toverland’s biergarten comes complete with a maypole.
045.jpg
Well, the flume’s still backed up, May as well have a smoke.
046.jpg
Larry entered the hedge maze. We never saw him again. (OK, that’s a lie.)
046a.jpg
I hope Larry wasn’t stung by this enormous bee.
047.jpg
Hmm--the last time I saw a ropes course like this, . . .
048.jpg
. . . it was in a monkey enclosure.
048a.jpg
Time to head out, lest we get caught in this storm.
049.jpg
Have fun being conquered, people of Troy!
050.jpg
I hope having this big GCI was worth having your city sacked and burned. That’s all for now. Stand by for Walibi Holland.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Great report! I agree Fenix does more in between elements than the other wing coasters. That low-to-the-ground turn after the Immelmann in particular is great.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:47 am

There were several occasions when I thought that I had seriously "camera of doom"ed the log flume! Thankfully it started back up each time...
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:58 am

A.J. wrote:

There were several occasions when I thought that I had seriously "camera of doom"ed the log flume! Thankfully it started back up each time...

Hmm--or it could be that this man . . .

. . . the infamous John had pointed his Original Camera of Doom in the general direction of Toverland on that day.

Postby jynx242 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 am

Awesome report as always Chuck! Thanks for posting!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 am

Toverland continues to evolve and grow, can't wait to see it ten years from now! It will be a real resort!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:18 am

Excellent photos! I had to unfortunately miss out on Toverland when we visited the Netherlands last year (it was either them or Efteling). Really looking forward to seeing how this park continues to grow!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:47 pm

SharkTums wrote:Toverland continues to evolve and grow, can't wait to see it ten years from now! It will be a real resort!

It's good to see this unique park doing so well. I think a fairy-tale-themed hotel and campground would be great additions.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!